Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

\\*Age*//

Options
  • 29-09-2004 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭

Im 17 on the 9th of march, is there any chance i can come back to ctyi next year? cos like all of you know, it is unbelieveably cool!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I heard somewhere that if you beg on your knees and generally grovel for a LONG time you can come back when you're 17.

Otherwise, probably not, unless you had your birthday actually during the session. (Like Caoimhe did.)

Or is it that there's a certain date on which you have to be? I'd check the letter thing but I'm too lazy to find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

The easiest way to know if you can go back is wait for the info sheets to be sent out later in the year. If you get one you can go if not then you cant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Even if I could... I wouldn't

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭meeka

oooh, if you're able to go if your birthdays on the 9th of march, that means i have 3 years left! score -.-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ll=llannah

Firstly and most importantly, i agree with NeoSlicerZ.
    If you really want it badly, though, to ask and/or beg. The worst outcome is that they say no. (well the worst is if you cry and scream and they take you to one of those "nice homes for different people" (....ha.))
    i knew someone who turned 17 right before the session (or was it during the session? my memory fails me) and he got in basically because 1) he was such a token ctyi lifer (having done baby ctyi and everything) 2) he must have begged and colm must have taken pity on his tear-stained face.
    keep in mind, though, he had to beg entrance on the first day, had to start out as a commuter, (eventually roomed with friends, tho) and took a course he didn't want to take (it was the one that had an empty spot).
    but, especially with your birthday in march and all, the chances are very very small, tbh. but trying can't hurt, and if you want it, why not try?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I turned 17 during the session of my last year (2001). I was told only to apply for session 1 and that I'd most likely be commuting, since I live in Dublin anyway. Good thing I like the stuff that not many others wanted to do...
    Jono, you haven't a hope in hell of getting in. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

What? i was 17 three days before i went to sess2 this year and nothin was said. Crazy but true....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I heard somewhere that if you beg on your knees and generally grovel for a LONG time you can come back when you're 17.

Otherwise, probably not, unless you had your birthday actually during the session. (Like Caoimhe did.)

Yeah, 17 year olds can pull it off, with begging, if their birthday is in and around CTYI time. March is way too far off

ll=llannah: You speak of the red hairded one, yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭Caoimhe

Wow I'm being used as an example... Go team!
    Sorry John, you've no chance. I asked and was told I could only do session 1 because I'd still be 16 starting it. I know someone that came back as a 17 year old but to be honest its not a great idea. You just notice how young everyone is because there's the new wave of first years coming in and loads of your friends are already nevermores so a lot of the people that make it CTYI are gone.

Heh, whenever someone says "team" now I think "team sodomy"... ahh...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭snuffles

Ah Team Sodomy...one of those songs that make the funny men in white coats chase you if you randomly start singing it on the street...

All together now!

"They come in the night, twelve inches of DOOOOOM!!
    Sleep with your arse to the wall,
    If you don't they'll get you!

TeeeeeeEEEEEEEEAAAAMM SODOMY!"

*wipes tear of memory*

"FRICTION... ON YOU!"

Nobody ever looked at Dermo the same way after that song - its a legend!
    "Headed by the infamous Dermo of DOOM
    But Dermo's the only one who doesn't use any lube!"
    Anyone else getting a sudden urge for a virtual highfive?!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

w00t!!!!!!!! Virtual high-fives! *Virually high-fives Caoimhe*

Oi, no high-fiving if you don't know what the high five is for!! (I bet *** knows...)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Ok, I withdraw my High-Five

Caoimhe wrote:
    (I bet *** knows...)
    High five!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭snuffles

*extremely belated high five*

*tear drop*

God, I miss that game more than can possibly be healthy.

CD is ready btw, avec *** song to accompany your memories of the glorious game :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Bazookatone

The rumours about people being let back if they're 17 are true. Actually, it was just one person, me. (If this was a movie, everyone would gasp and say "You!"). Unfortunately, I was an exceptional case. In 1999, my first year CTYI was on a week later than it usually is, as such I had my 14th birthday halfway through the first week. In my last year, 2002, the cutoff date was June 16th and that was my birthday. So I called Colm and asked was there any possibility of me being let back. And I told him I wouldn't mind going as a commuter student, and I would take a place in any class where there was space and that I would clean the res if that is what it took. And then I went in the next day and paid up front to get in. So Colm let me in.

On the first day, Seán (former site director) who was in charge of accomodation, asked me was I stilll interested in being a residential student and there was space, so of course I said yes, and wouldn't you know it, I got put in with my friend Cathal.

So it can happen, but if you're 17 in March, you're chances are close to 0, sorry. :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement