Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some thoughts on the Reputation system

• 29-09-2004 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭

I have become rather worried lately by the disturbing downward trend in posts on Boards.ie since the reputation system was introduced.

Now, rather than writing about what they really feel, people here are posting what they think will impress other people. Posters are so concerned about their precious - and ultimately meaningless - reputation points.

Several posters who shall remain nameless have lately gone out of their way to write long, moderately amusing posts. All well and good. But these posts have little depth or real insight. Why? Because they are not being true to themselves - they are writing what they thing other people want to hear.

The reputation system is adversely affecting Boards.ie. It is only a matter time before this boards is broad to its knees, sweltering under the weight of a million mediocre, reputation-whoring posts.

In conclusion, I feel the reputation system should be abolished. It has no use and its effect is only negative.

Please, demonstrate your support in this matter by giving me positive reputation.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

i think your all great human beings, a credit to the country, you know who you are, ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Several posters who shall remain nameless have lately gone out of their way to write long, moderately amusing posts. All well and good. But these posts have little depth or real insight. Why? Because they are not being true to themselves - they are writing what they thing other people want to hear.

There is a slight flaw in your system. Your assuming that (a) everyone gives rep and (b) you can't see those peoples rep to clarify that is what is happening.

Take me for example, I generally get more red then green. However I've been treating it as a game which is why I am so high (Although I have somewhat given up a little) and my post count+time here somewhat protects me.

But if anyone thinks that somehow my greenies reflect what I write, then they must be on some strong medication.
    Please, demonstrate your support in this matter by giving me positive reputation.

tsk tsk tsk.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

That couldn't be further from the truth!

(I love all races, religions and genders equally. In my spare time I work on a sick puppy farm helping cute puppies back to health. I also think that <enter bad thing here> is wrong and should be stopped and/or ended.)

flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Agent Orange

Well I must say I've been shocked and disturbed by some of the responses I've gotten in the form of reputation:

"what the **** would you know! your only here since February. SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP"

Sir, your hatred has no place in our little community! Please take your verbal diarrhea elsewhere. I only came here and stated my opinion. If we were all like you it'd be like Nazi Germany again. You disgust me!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It's called logorrhea, dammit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Is this going to be another "venting against people who sent rep anonymously" threads? Cos if it is I might just cry...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

If we were all like you it'd be like Nazi Germany again. You disgust me!

When was boards.ie previously like Nazi Germany?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I neither agree nor disagree with this ballanced and well made point.
    I think you're all fabulous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

syke wrote:
    When was boards.ie previously like Nazi Germany?
    Last week from 11:00PM Monday to 1:00PM Tuesday between The 6 Hours Were We Love Mexicans and The Big Debate: Gay Vs Kenny Are They Both Queer? You probably missed it, it was over pretty quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Chonaic

Can everyone give me some good rep so I can relax and post what I want to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Jesus! Not again. Would ye ever fúck off with the reputation threads? It's already tiresome. Obviously you posted the thread in order to get reputation - bad and good. Just foget about it, pretend it's not there! Who really give a bóllox?

Is this gonna be another 5 pager?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i swing between "smeh! what a meaningless system" and "omfg! i still only have one green dot"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭keu

Someday I want to be like hobbes...a shining beacon of light.

gave you greens the other day chonaic...relax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Verdammt

What another Reputation tread ?? When I seen this I knew I just had to jump onboard.

Check out this tread :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=189487

Reputation Points !!! This would never happen in the fatherland !! :mad:

keu wrote:
    Someday I want to be like hobbes...a shining beacon of light.

gave you greens the other day chonaic...relax

I share your dream want to exchange more of the green as someone called it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭keu

*You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Chonaic again.*

Damn i got the same message

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

It's rubbish tbh, agent orange. Seems like it's mainly the female members of boards who get loads upon loads of reputation. Now I wonder why that is? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

It's rubbish tbh, agent orange. Seems like it's mainly the female members of boards who get loads upon loads of reputation. Now I wonder why that is? :rolleyes:

Ive said it before and i'll say it again .They have the pokey holes and the squeeze Weezy hoobly joobly touchy feelers -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Tusky wrote:
    Ive said it before and i'll say it again .They have the pokey holes and the squeeze Weezy hoobly joobly touchy feelers -

This is true. Pathetic isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Bunnyefey

I don't really see the point unless you're gonna win some prize at the end. I hadn't a clue what the hell those little green thingies were and I've no idea what is a Good or Bad reputation score. Can someone explain the need for this reputation thing cause Im gonna act dumb otherwise. Any other boards I've been on, if someone agrees with what you say, they tell you in the thread and if they don't they either tell you in a thread or pm you. Hmmm, maybe Im missing something but I am pretty new to this board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

Reputation..... now thats sounds very like the old karma system that was abandoned because it was pretty useless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

What can I say :rolleyes: I am a big gurls blouse. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

I have become rather worried lately by the disturbing downward trend in posts on Boards.ie since the reputation system was introduced.

Now, rather than writing about what they really feel, people here are posting what they think will impress other people. Posters are so concerned about their precious - and ultimately meaningless - reputation points.

Oh FFS, if someone is so desperately concerned about reputation that they'll write posts in order to gain postive rep. then

1. They probably weren't writing anything worth noting before the rep system started

2. Anything they write after the system to curry favour probably isn't worth reading in the first place.

I stand over what I said earlier on this matter.
    Oh FFS. Look rep doesn't matter. They're little green dots they mean nothing, they don't make you a better person, mean your opinion is more valid, or your breath smells better.

However if anonymous validation from a peer group who you may never meet in person is necessary to shore up your fragile sense of self worth in the form of little green dots, follow this simple one step plan.

Step 1. Vigorously and frequently insert your tongue into the rear orifices of all mods in acts of obsequious supplication and toadying, do this until you can with assurance say "Why DeVore Tuna Salad again today?". Positive rep will be showered on you from afar.

I mean it works for me.

Which reminds me.

"Hobbes you look fabulous, what did you do to your hair!"

Oh please that is so patheticaly weak........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I don't see why people take it so seriously? Only the other day I got a whingy PM from KBannon wanting me to explain further a neg rep I had given him. I couldn't even remember the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭kencleary

I also have little interest in the whole reputation issue myself but I can see where critics are coming from. At its worst a reputation system can act as a kind of informal censor - i.e. anyone who deviates from the norm is heaped with masses of negative points. I think you can see evidence of this over on the politics board where certain users (I won't name them) have several red blocks under their names. Now i'm not defending those users or their views but having so many negative points for expressing their opinions must be annoying. If this causes them or others to quit boards because their views differ from the majority opinion isn't that bad for debate? and isn't that bad for boards.ie as a whole?

In short an option to turn it off would be a welcome improvement :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

I saw my rep go from 15 up to 27 then down to 19 in the course of one thread recently, the only cool thing is that I was able to work out who was doing it by the amount of rep I was losing and the amout of rep people could take, so I popped em straight back.

<edit>
    what I really meant to say is who gives a toss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I know what you mean on the censorship thing. I said I thought Farscape was sh*t and I got 3 negative reps straight away. Big deal, it's not going to stop me speaking my mind.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i thought the first post was pretty funny, but I'm not giving any rep..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭samo

this sounds really stupid but how do you check your rep, I can see where you give it and know if you click on username etc you can see public profile but if you click on green box all I can see is something like you are on a distinguished road.....forgive me as a newbie but cant see it (and dont give me any bad rep because I cant!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

Blub2k4 wrote:
    I saw my rep go from 15 up to 27 then down to 19 in the course of one thread recently, the only cool thing is that I was able to work out who was doing it by the amount of rep I was losing and the amout of rep people could take, so I popped em straight back.

<edit>
    what I really meant to say is who gives a toss.

and for some reason gave me negative rep in the process :P

anyway, id be all for gettign rid of it
    ive never seen it before on any other forums and having little bitchy anonymous comments that no one else can see.
    as the thread starter said it discourages you from posting if you cant argue back with the people who disagree with you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

samo wrote:
    this sounds really stupid but how do you check your rep, I can see where you give it and know if you click on username etc you can see public profile but if you click on green box all I can see is something like you are on a distinguished road.....forgive me as a newbie but cant see it (and dont give me any bad rep because I cant!)

samo, see the little white/grey scales button underneath your name? at the bottom, just above the poster below you's name? click that, it's how you give/take rep from other people but if you click your own it tells you have many points you have.

Also, when you have enough (i think) going into your user cp (look at the links near the top of the page) and scrolling to the bottom of that page will show you your last 5 rep points received, along with comments.

personally I love the karma system, I am having great fun :) it's fun to see real actual results from idiots getting pissed off at me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Tusky loves his reputation points. It gives him a stiffy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭samo

I see, it all becomes clear!!

thankyou for that info was doing my head in where to look!

I take it that the more points you have the better....

dont think its going to be a major part of my boards life though but thanks anyway!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Bunnyefey

Haha, its funny how some people take things so seriously. I mean someone just gave me a bad reputation because of my comment in this thread. You see that to me is pointless. Why not just write a comment in the thread like "Hey Buddy, we don't like your kind round here" for everyone to see.

And to whoever sent it to me in response: I won't! and I already do!. I just thought I'd give an Irish message board a shot. Didn't think people would be so hostile though. Haha. Funny Bunnies some of the people here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

cheesedude wrote:

Yeah but you touch children and thats much much worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

The sooner we are given the ability to switch rep off, the sooner we can all go back to enjoying boards.ie.

My boards.ie experience has been very negatively effected by the introduction of the rep system (new bastardised version of karma system).

The calibre of posts has flopped since its appearence.

Please let me turn it off soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Thread locked. All users who posted in it banned for 2 months.

.....wait I can't actually do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

im doin my best 2 get as much red as i can
    red is good right ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

IrishMike wrote:
    red is good right ?

Well it depends,
    if you go through a red light = bad
    if your bank balance is red = bad
    if your wife leeks out a bit of red = bad
    but,
    if red is your style, then red = good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Healio wrote:
    if your wife leeks out a bit of red = bad

does this one stand out to any one else?
    wtf?

impr0v wrote:
    does this one stand out to any one else?
    wtf?

I can only assume its something to do with that time of the month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Chonaic wrote:
    I can only assume its something to do with that time of the month.
    That and he needs to consult a spellcheck... Unless his wife is into some kind of wierd veggie fetish...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

No it should be leaks. She thankfully got over her veggie fetish, after the whole family complained at the christmas dinner table that the carrots tasted like fish.

Hmmmmmmmm i wont be in this thread again too soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

A thought: is anybody out there colourblind (unable to distinguish between green & red)? If so, do you feel deprived of this karma every one keeps going on about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

cheesedude wrote:

Oh so now I touch children?

So you are obsessed with your reputation points and you more than likely break mirrors every time you look into one. Good on ya Tusky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

IrishMike wrote:
    red is good right ?

Red = evil communists.

Red = coca cola

/brain explodes at contradiction

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i promise eternal bad rep for the next "repuatation thread" topic started.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement