Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

insurance quote, discriminating?

Options
  • 29-09-2004 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

On my lunch break today i decided to do a on-line quote for me on my ma's car.
    Put in my details, male,21,full licence, locattion etc etc
    €2,400 od tp, fair enough (still to much in my opinion, for a car like a mazda demio!)
    Decided to change details, just my name and put in i was female,
    €1,200odd!!! What the **** all i changed was mr->ms nothing else!
    €1,400odd for provisional held 1 year, for a female!

does this seem right to anyone?

I mean i know 2 girls who recently got a car and first provisional and they scared me, not looking good a busy junktions etc, lucky they didn't cause any crashes. One of them is still a fraid to go up a steep hill cause she might cut out???

Jozi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

It dosen't seem right, but it seems correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

yeah lifes a bitch... we men can drive better than the women and we can crash better as well (no of those tiny scrapes... when we crash we go for at least 3 barrell rolls and a hospital visit) and we're punished for it... its a shame but who cares, we can't change it... anyway soon the girls are gonna be treated the same as us lads then we can all bitch equally about how unfair insurance costs are

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

just think if it was the other way around. it wouldn't last a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

Canis :: Are there new regulations coming in to ensure that females no longer get better quotes because of gender ???

bout bleeding time ,
    also
    What quarryman said.

yeah if women were the ones paying more there'd be mass burning of bras but cos we men have to rely on our mums to buy our underwear we cant afford to burn our boxers.... and yeah Fionn rather than men getting cheaper insurance (like that would happen) women will pay the same rates as us... so everyone becomes unhappy and the insurance companies laugh all the way to the bank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Talk to me about it! I am a 20year old twin. My sis is payin half the amount in insurance than me yet I have a full licence and she only has a provisional. The only thing that seperates us is the fact that she aint got meat 'n 2 veg between her legs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

fletch wrote:
    Talk to me about it! I am a 20year old twin. My sis is payin half the amount in insurance than me yet I have a full licence and she only has a provisional. The only thing that seperates us is the fact that she aint got meat 'n 2 veg between her legs

if you're eating a meal while you're driving your insurance should be twice hers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

That bill you were talking about was coming from the EU and was scrapped as the women started bitchin!

Burn the bra - we want equality. But only when it suits!!!

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

what they scrapped it (eu directive) ??? what happens now , I know mijag are on the case for lower premiums but the sex discrimination is nothing short of tucking ferrible ,

is there anything that can be done , superman are you out there ?

Boggle wrote:
    That bill you were talking about was coming from the EU and was scrapped as the women started bitchin!

:confused:

really? u have any links/info on that?

Insurance is a joke. In a country where for ppl outside of dublin city a car is a complete necessity for life that insurance companies can get away with swindling us and we just sit back and take it up the ass.... but my complaining here wont change a thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

quarryman wrote:
    if you're eating a meal while you're driving your insurance should be twice hers.
    LOL LOL....(u no wot i meant!) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

The EU directive was put on hold for awhile but it was not scrapped and is still going ahead but I believe the Irish goverment are being urged by some womens group or other not to support it and I belive there not gonna support it.
    I'd rather see women get cheap insurance then the b*stards of insurance companies get more money to be honest, If it was brought in then they could even it out, as in bring mens insurance down a bit and womens up a bit, that'd never happen would it?

No that makes too much sense

There was actually a thread either here or on motornet about the eu bill but I'm pretty sure it was scrapped... I'll try to have a look later if I can get a chance.

They have been working on this with years and it was actually in the final stages by the time it was "held up" by womens groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

Up to 30% of a premium is broker commission and that applies regardless of gender. There used to be a cap on commsiion rates and when that was removed insurance costs shot up...if you want cheaper insurance petition your TD to reintroduce that cap or to force insurers to produce a breakdown of the component costs of your premium.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Boggle wrote:
    Very true. The ads for the wimmen-only insurance company in the UK drive me spare -- if men were in a position to do the same thing and tried it, they'd be strung up. It's completely hypocritical.

adam

Like I mentioned in an earlier thread, young men don't vote in sufficient numbers and do not have sufficient sympathisers to worry TD's.

Anyone says its not discrimination is only seeing what they want... wish I had the time and money to take the b@st@rds to court.

.... Oh and you know what else annoys me? Those pay attention ads all featuring men. Why dont they do the one with the mother pushing the pram out between cars onto the road to stop traffic. Flippin scary! (hungover so ignore ranting)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,396 ✭✭✭✭Victor

But men get better pensions than women, how will you handle that?

Advertisement