Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quest re:dual booting

• 29-09-2004 10:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

On boot up where it gives you the option of which Os to start how would you go about changing the order of which version is at the top of the boot up list. Another words I have to OS installed (xp home and corp) and since I installed corp last it is at the top of the list and if you dont touch the machine after a set time it will boot up corp automatically and I would like to change it and put Home at the top of the list.
    Thks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

You're using the Windows bootloader? Find boot.ini and simply change the order in which the lines appear under the [operating systems] group. Do not change the lines! That will change the order in which they appear.

However, the order does not in the least affect what the default OS to boot into is. Thats set by changing the default flag under the [boot loader] group to the value of the version of Windows that you want up until the equals.

For example, on my system the file reads
    [boot loader]
    timeout=10
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003, Enterprise" /fastdetect
    C:\fedora.boot="Fedora Core 2" 

Right now I have XP set up as my default OS, but if I wanted to change it to Server, I would change the default item to
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS

Disclaimer: Be very careful when you are editing boot.ini, as making even one little error could render you unable to load into an operating system...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Ok Doodle will give it a shot,much appreciated and thks for the warning :eek:

Doodle the only boot.ini I could find on the machine is in my registery and it looked look nothing like your example. I tried to copy and paste it to here but it wont let me paste?, can you give me any pointers

Thks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

Goto - Start - Run - type msconfig - from there you can edit your boot.ini

I hope this helps.

Cal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.
    On the Advanced tab, under Startup and Recovery, click Settings.
    Under System startup, in the Default operating system list, click the operating system that you want to start when you turn on or restart your computer.
    Select the Display list of operating systems for check box, and then type the number of seconds for which you want the list displayed before the default operating system starts automatically.

• Advertisement

Just to say thks to everyone for the advice and MountJoy Mugger for the safer alternative than messing with the boot file.
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Pff... Well if you wanted safe... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

cubix wrote:
    Just to say thks to everyone for the advice and MountJoy Mugger for the safer alternative than messing with the boot file.
    Cheers

No prob. :)

Advertisement