Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sad Business

• 29-09-2004 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else think that its probably a bad move to switch your young kids onto watching wrestling seeing as though so many wrestlers seem to be dying..not just retired wrestlers but some active wrestlers too...I remember when Owen Died and had chills for weeks after. It definately puts wrestling into a hole different perspective for me...Mr. Perfect and Crash Hollys deaths were very shocking...Wrestlings background plays out alot stranger than the show itself

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

No, thats like saying that you shouldnt turn your kids onto GAA coz of Cormac Mcanallen, or football because of Marc Vivien Foe.

All sports have deaths, some accidents, some natural. Unfortunatley thats life, and you cannot restrict yourself from watching and enjoying things over something that might happen.

(seems like something I tell teenagers in the personal issues forum!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Magnolia_Fan

gimmick wrote:
    No, thats like saying that you shouldnt turn your kids onto GAA coz of Cormac Mcanallen, or football because of Marc Vivien Foe.

All sports have deaths, some accidents, some natural. Unfortunatley thats life, and you cannot restrict yourself from watching and enjoying things over something that might happen.

(seems like something I tell teenagers in the personal issues forum!)

Deaths in those sports are alot less frequent then in Wrestling...I bet if you were to compare a list of soccer players that died young and G.A.A player that died young the Wrestling list would be longer than both of the other 2 put together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

I'd imagine the deaths from the wrestling business are resulting from drug use in much higher porportions to other sports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Yes it is due to drug abuse a lot of the time, but that's what the wrestlers feel they need to do to become a star. It's not discouraged by certain promoters either so it's a catch 22. If a footballer takes those drugs they don't get away with it as they get tested. But the likes of WWE don't give a toss as long as you can make them money.

It is true there is a high rate of deaths in wrestling then in any other sport. Mabey its the side effects of the 80s and early 90s were there was alot of drugs involved.I hear they are still around today and i am suprised to hear what wrestler were doing them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lee butler

To say that children should not be watching wrestling due to the deaths of some of the workers in recent times is stupid to say the very least, wrestling is for all intents a purpose's to children entertainment, its just like watching an episode of the simpsons to them, only its live and they get to shout at the people involved. Children really dont take in the deaths in wrestling as its not something that concerns them at that age, they only care that theres a wrestling ring and 2 fellas to wrestle. Its not till the child is old enough that he will understand that SOME wrestlers are dieing at an early age, and of which time the child will be able to comprehend some of the reasons behind there premature ending...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Magnolia_Fan

So If a kid who idolises someone like Eugene who watches every week was to watch one week and they announce Eugene had died earlier in the week and did the oul video montage job that the child wouldn't notice that a person they idolise and admire is dead?...When I was a child Andre The Giant died and I knew what it meant and I felt the same chills I get when a wrestler dies today well even more because of the nature of his death.

Advertisement