Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorola V525 vs V600

Options
  • 30-09-2004 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what the general opinion is with regards these 2 phones. I am looking to buy one of them but not to sure. have heard only good things about the V525 and a few mates have it but i have heard very little about the V600. Is the V600 a better phone.

I am basically lookin for a phone with bluetooth so is there any other phones that would have bluetooth that i should consider besides the Nokia 6600?

any help would be great ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

I have a V600 and they are a very nice phone, has some nice features, and some not so nice issues.

The Good:
    1. RF is Motorola's strong point and is very good
    2. Camera is much better than V525
    3. IM is very easy to use (if I only had some friends ;) )
    4. MP3 ring tones - brill!
    5. Battery lasts ages
    6. Great screen
    7. Ring lights are a great talking point

The Bad:
    1. Out of the Box when connected to bluetooth device the phone won't ring. Motorola thought the headset would do it for you.... A firmware upgrade will fix this, but that requires a cable, some iffy software and time. Even then the phone only does a very basic ring.

2. Again out of the box -> you don't get a cable (can overlook that), but more importantly no connectivity software. MPT is 30 day trial only so you have to either fork out €30 or so, or go the illegal route.

3. Phonebook entries are a pain! Each phone number/email, etc., is a single entry in the phonebook. Fortunately you can mark one a Primary contact and limit the display to them, but it would have been so much easier to allow a single entry to have multiple numbers (aka siemens)

4. The black plastic thing cracks on some models. Believe it or not the V600 has been through a number of releases with slightly different options around the main hinge. A quick search on the internet will help. Unfortunately Motorola refuse to acknowledge the problem as a flaw.

5. No Vibrate and Ring, phone either vibrates only, or vibrates for 2 rings, then the ringtone activates.

Other than above I'm pretty happy with the phone. Motorola have come a long way, but are still trailing the competition I think.

Other phones to consider:
    Siemens S55 - great bluetooth, crappy screen, but reasonable now
    Siemens S65 - fixes the screen issue, more memory, etc..
    Sony Ericson T610 - great phone, bluetooth is good, same crappy phonebook as moto.
    Sony Ericson T630 - evolved T610 but much better. Now supports IM I believe and the bluetooth has better compatability
    Sony Ericson Z600 - T610 in a clamshell.

RikD.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,120 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

afaik there is no diff between the v525 camera and the v600

the v525 is a v600 with some features disabled, these can be enabled with a flex flash, so get the one u prefer the look of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

I have the V525 and have to say, for me its hard to find fault with it :)
    If I had to, I would say im not 100% happy with the hinge (however i know if it was to go its under guarentee, but i doubt it will),... and it will only hold 25 text messages b4 it asks u to delete them ;/ thats a pain for me.

aside from that and the lack of infra-red, its a good all-rounder fone imho :)

B

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

Cyrus -> You could be right about the camera, but I did a comparison with one of the early V525s and there was an improvement with the V600. That said the flash for the V525 was v.old, while I had upgraded the V600 to 38R at the time. Flexing the phone, won't improve these kind of things, but a flash certainly can. Am currently on 4AR (thinking of going to 55) which has some major improvements on everything.

Falkorre -> getting over the message limit can be achieved by either flexing with a felx that saves the SMS to memory rather than SIM, or by seemediting. this containslink contains some info on what can be done by seem editing. And well worth downloading seemplayer from here. You'll need p2kman to upload and download the seem files. Once done however you can have loads of messages, I've 35 in the inbox, and 16 in outbox right now.

One of these days, must figure out how to unlock it from O2.
    RikD.

Advertisement