Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Eircom charge for going over your download limits ?

• 30-09-2004 11:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭

I'm pretty sure Ive gone over my limits, but have never seen additional charging.

Any experience ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

I am presuming you know they cut you off if you do some extreme downloading but i guess they have let you off so far. 10c per mb as far as i know. Im in college accomodation with 30 other people so as long as i dont have to personally pay for the connection im going to totally rape it and the owners can pay the fine. Dont worry about paying for it i would say but in fairness dont start downloading 2 or 3 gb's over your limits...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭dee mm

Does anyone know anybody who has paid this charge though. I think i've passed mine before and never seen anything on my bill. However it wasn't a 1g over so I dont know how far you could push it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I have ntl but a couple of mates have eircom and they totally disregard the limits. There has been no charge to them yet, but Eircom might decide to try and backdate any charges for this they decide to introduce. It sounds like the kind of cowboy antics eircom consistently get up to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

Eircom told me they started charging for going over the limit at the start of September.

It should show up on this months bill. I think it's a fair bit less than 10c a MB though.

Lucky for me I asked, been able to keep an eye on my limit this month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

karlh wrote:
    Eircom told me they started charging for going over the limit at the start of September.

It should show up on this months bill. I think it's a fair bit less than 10c a MB though. .
    It's 3c/meg (or €30/Gig!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

€36.20 a Gig when you include the 21% VAT

10 Gb over in a month would be €360 extra etc etc .

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Muck wrote:
    €36.20 a Gig when you include the 21% VAT
    I thought it used to be 3c including VAT? But www.eircom.ie definitely says "** eircom reserves the right to apply a charge of 3.6 cent (inc. VAT) per Megabyte for downloads in excess of specified limits." at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

They DID always say that they would warn or notify people first before they slapped the excess charges on . If you were personally warned on any of your Eircom Bills in Aug or September then you could be liable from that billing date or the billing month after.

Some people did receive the warnings on their Bills recently .

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Undercoverguy

I never got charged :D

Check yours at dsl-support.eircom.net

863799EircomBroadband.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Thought your screenshot was tame in comparison with this. Hope they dont decide to backcharge, could end up in prison :/

045230limit.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

A friend of mine who works in Eircon tech support said that they had a mix up with their database system or something and as a result they couldnt keep a proper record of who was using what. But he said thats been sorted out as of September so expect a hefty fine... :(

Never got a warning like they promised so if they do they can expect a lawsuit :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

You got a warning when you signed up for the service..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

i dont like/trust eircom at all
    i mean come on anyone thats got a decent firewall set up can see that theyre always trying to get into ur computer!
    theyre real sneaky and underhanded so if u do go over ur limit
    i wudnt be surprised if u get a nasty phone bill at the end of it

*shakes his fist at eircom*

pesky critters

:(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Any word on Eircom upping these friggin caps at all? We havent had an upgrade since last February and methinks we are well overdue some sort of a cap upgrade/speed boost? I would even welcome an upload speed increase to 256bps greatly as the current pitifull ISDN standard 128bps upload struggles at xbox live and PC Counterstrike at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

stats.jpg

guess when i moved out of home ?lucky escape if this news is true
    but so far when people say eircom are going to start charging its always something like "oh a friend said they will"
    its never based on real fact
    on these boards alone iv heard they will start charging in march,july now its september
    ill believe it when i see it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

hmm... I did indeed get the footnote saying that they would inform me personally before enforcing the cap.... could anyone please scan and post whatever they got warning them of the cap being enforced? would be much appreciated..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

marclar wrote:
    hmm... I did indeed get the footnote saying that they would inform me personally before enforcing the cap.... could anyone please scan and post whatever they got warning them of the cap being enforced? would be much appreciated..

Indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

This topic has been on and off since as far as I can remember and every single time it has been discussed, somebody always said that Eircom is going to charge soon. Maybe they will, maybe they wont. I think Eircom do not have the neccessary equipment to really know how much you have downloaded. So what they do is keep the gossip that they will start charging soon to deter people from over downloading :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

neokenzo wrote:
    I think Eircom do not have the neccessary equipment to really know how much you have downloaded. So what they do is keep the gossip that they will start charging soon to deter people from over downloading :)

So the tracker that eircom run for each account telling you exactly how much you downloaded just generates a random number each time you login, yeah? Heh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

WellyJ wrote:
    Thought your screenshot was tame in comparison with this. Hope they dont decide to backcharge, could end up in prison :/

045230limit.JPG
    Looks like you are 15 gigs over the limit. That is 543 euros you owe Eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Not charging people is the only thing keeping people with them, i mean if they charged you , what would you do ? **** off to IOL /UTV /IBB /NTL etcusing a different name on the bill.

Amazing what a little competiton can do. And with phone line not exactly a necessity ,they know they charge someone and they have lsot a customer right there and then, then when that customer comes here and posts ,pretty soon they lost a few more.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They can only backcharge you for six months. So if you get billed at the end of October, they can only charge you for going over since the end of April '04.

You'll still get raped, but no *so* badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

I have it on good advice that they shall not be charging yet. I hear they will send you one bill saying what you *would* be charged, then the charges will kick in starting the following month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 bermenstein

Gonzo wrote:
    Any word on Eircom upping these friggin caps at all? We havent had an upgrade since last February and methinks we are well overdue some sort of a cap upgrade/speed boost? I would even welcome an upload speed increase to 256bps greatly as the current pitifull ISDN standard 128bps upload struggles at xbox live and PC Counterstrike at the same time.

Yep, i'll second that. The upload speeds are awful. My upload with eircom, including overheads is 116bps, which is pretty poor if your online gaming.
    Come on eircom.
    Being ripped off, as usual in R.O. Ireland.(Thats Rip Off Ireland, not Republic)

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

i have downloaded about 30 gigs a month for the last four months and no warning or charge so the eircom service as far as i am concerened is great

I second that, i have never been below 8 gigs in 15 months of using it, highest was 65 odd, lowest usually around 25. Never even got a phone call about it. Until they start charging im happy with them

WellyJ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

WellyJ wrote:

045230limit.JPG

..........just out of idle curiosity are you on the 4 or 8 Gb package !

Seven Worlds will Collide

8GB, though im not sure if it even matters considering they dont charge anyway! :D

WellyJ

• Advertisement
Advertisement