Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This is just brilliant..

Options
  • 30-09-2004 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭

After the intro click on "Watch Film". :D

www.honda.co.uk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,394 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That ad is crap imho

Having said that, Honda got it into their weird heads it sounded like a good idea to develop a diesel engine from scratch just for the European market (as diesels don't sell in Asia or America). They have NEVER produced a diesel before

So they go out and do it, no doubt spending an absolute fortune on it. Then they stick it into an Accord. Et voila, the diesel Accord comes up trumps in comparison to it's competitors

Fair play Honda!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

NNNNOOOOOOOOO!!!! Not a diesel Honda - please say it isn't so. My all time favourite marque lost the plot several years ago after taking Europe by storm with the Civic/Prelude/Accord in the early nineties, they now make some of the most boring stuff around (cross-eyed CR-V, woefully underpowered Civic, yawn inducing Accord and not-so-mini Jazz super-mini). The Civic Type-R had a chance, but it is so expensive there can't be more than five in the country - every street in the UK has one.

Sorry, rant over - general message, Honda + diesel = ZZZzzzzzzzzzzz

'ceptr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Accord has done very well in group tests against Avensis/Mondeo/etc. Rated as begin about as good to drive as the Mondeo and as solid as the Avensis in terms of build/materials. Diesel is a good thing for Honda economically given that about 40% of sales in that class in Europe are diesel.

Given Honda's reputation for engines I'd have no problem with them doing a diesel.

P.S. I drive a Honda myself and love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I always have little smile to myself whenever the words diesel and Honda are mentioned. I recall all those ads which had a legend like-

What killed diesel? Exhibit A and picuture of a Honda keyfob.

They were playing the v-tec card very strongly at the time. It was crap then and anyone who knew anything about engines knew it. As did Honda which is why they bouight in PSA engines for the European market.

Diesel Car magazine did a couple of TDi Vs V-Tec challanges and the diesel won each time by a convincing margin.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

next thing we see will be

CIVIC Type D :D

where is the spirit of free revving Honda's? I had 5 hondas but that's few too many and not going to buy another one and specially new civic which looks like corolla clone .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

That ad put me to sleep !

Great ad, saw it last night on C4. :) Well I would pick one hole namly the idea that some diesels are slow and noisy. No new engine for a while has been obnoxiously dirty, loud or slow.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

mike65 wrote:
    They were playing the v-tec card very strongly at the time. It was crap then and anyone who knew anything about engines knew it.

That was only the crappy V-TEC-E's though wasnt it??
    The proper V-TEC engined honda's are some of the best engineered and performing normally aspirated engines in the world and have been for years now. In terms of power per cc the only other engine that I can think of in the same ball park is the M3's. On that and the v-tec's break the 100BHP/Litre barrier and are still normally aspirated.

You misunderstand me (but I was'nt very clear!), the v-tec engineering was fine but the claim Honda made that you can have your cake and eat it (power and economy at the same time) was rubbish. v-tec engines 10 years ago had great umph over 3000 rpm but then drank fuel, while in trickle mode they were'nt really that economical. Thats did'nt stop Honda pretending otherwise though.

While a modern DI common-rail diesel engine will give you both together.

I should say I don't know if the mix of power/economy is any better now.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Ahh I see - wrong end of stick was well and truly grabbed. :)

You do remember the VTEC-E's tho...they were definately meant to compete against diesels. And they had very little in common with the 'proper' VTEC's.

And as for keeping a VTEC under 3k? Why would you want to?? Best sounding engines ever....and god arent they sweet when they rev?
    (Santy will you bring me a Type-R for xmas please please please)

Honda must have been mad to do that advert!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭smokey2

LOL class ad!!

I bought one of the vtec-e civics at an auction once omg never again!!

only one is proper vtec and I've had 2 in the last year with no complaints on the juice they used but then again I'm comparing it to my 1.8 primera now thats a sow on juice!!

Advertisement