Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

can a cut key start a car with no immobilisor

Options
  • 30-09-2004 6:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭

Is there anway to get round the immobiliser on a 1998 306. My mate has lost my keys and apparently you need to buy a new one, take it to a peugeot dealer and get them to configure the key housing chip thing(i'm technical you can tell!)to the immobiliser code. I just wouldn't mind side tracking that as I've had a blade cut so i can open the car, release the steering lock but can't start it. Very annoying.

Just copied the above fro manother forum. Ive a similar query and couldnt be bothered putting it into me own words.My query: Do you only need to do that whole key chipping crap if the car has an immobiliser. If there were no immobilisor would the cut key start the car then???

Ps: how can you tell if your car actually has an immobilsor or not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Most modern immobilisers are embedded in the engine management system so there is no way around them unless you can reprogramme the ECU. If it's a retro-fit ECU then you could probably remove it ok, but why bother.

You should have a red key with your car which will have come with a warning to keep it in a safe place. This key is used to reprogramme new keys for the immobiliser system. When you have a new key cut, you need to follow a procedure which some manufacturers include in the handbook, others don't requiring you to go the local dealer to get it done.

As for determining the presence or absence of an immobiliser, the car's handbook will usually mention it near the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Pretty much everything sold since '96 has an immobiliser as standard and 306's have all had them since the car was launched. AFAIK only FIAT use those nuisance red keys which everyone except Germans and dental nurses lose in the first month of ownership. If you have lost all of the keys, the quickest route is via a main dealer (unless your car is an import and they could pr1ck about for ages (Hi galway renault))

To answer your question, if there is no immobiliser, a cut key will start the car.

'ceptr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

AFAIK only FIAT use those nuisance red keys

Ford use them, as do Honda and Mazda. I'm fairly sure other manufacturers do too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

nissan kindly provided me with new keys free of charge when i broke them (don't ask) they said they were covered by the cars warranty. pleasant surprise to hear that coming form a main dealer but i must admit they've always sorted me out without ****ing around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

mine cost 120 to replace.. damn VAG keys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭pedro ferio-vti

The car shouldn't start unless you bring the key to get it programmed at a dealership. If there was a way around it I wouldn't be making it public knowledge, and anybody that does has no right to moan when their own car gets stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

It is worth mentioning that most manufacturers have a system to bypass the immobiliser once you have a car-specific code which should be written in your handbook. I had a Renault Safrane last year (yeah, I know) which had dud 'plip' keys so I contacted Renault to be told that if I pressed the accelerator, turned the key and entered the code using the trip computer buttons, the car would start. And it did!! Again, not something they will all advertise but I'm sure it would get you to a dearler if your key fell in your beer.

'ceptr

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

I know fiats have a system where if you lose the master key and need to start the car...once you know the 4-digit key-code, u turn the ignition on and pump the accelerator pedal x (1st digit) amount of times, turn off the ignition and then back on, pump the accelerator pedal y (2nd digit of keycode) times etc.... Then you can turn on the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,395 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Wow, that's like gaming cheats :)

Advertisement