Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great advertising

• 28-08-2000 4:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭

There is a load of great ads on TV at the moment, Anyone got any favourites?
    Mine has got to be the one for Sky Sports and 'learn to release your emotions through the power of sport'. The accent makes the ad.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

personally I think its pants smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

It is... You have the mother just after giving birth and then the father there still going on how England won the world cup. FFS!

Two world wars and one world cup, doo daa, dos daa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

That car one...

I'm well hard...
    I'm well endowed...
    I'm this...
    I'm that...

I'm going down the shops.

Can't remember what car it was but it made its point.

Bard
    |home page

er... made its point, meaning... I now want a car wink.gif

I don't, however, want denture fixative or ANYTHING from B&Q (some of those people that work there are -well- scary).

Yer wan who's giving away the Sky mini-dishes would (ALMOST) give Wilma Flintstone a run for her money, the sexy beeatch biggrin.gif

Oh I'll shaddap now...

Bard
    |home page

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 30-08-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ThunderingMike

Hands down, the Physio Sports one. Where the athletes are walking around with tiny bodies and normal sized heads. Very very funny ad and my current fave biggrin.gif

So the pope puts down the Badger and leans over to me and says , " My son , sometimes you talk a lot of ****. Knock it off." Before I could speak in walks Christopher Lloyd with a time machine under his arm and just then...it started to get weird...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Best ad around at the moment is the one with Vinnie Jones and the Robin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Originally posted by Bard:
    Can't remember what car it was but it made its point.
    AFAIK, 'twas the VW Polo... I could be wrong though.

IMO adds are utter nonsense.
    I do my best to avoid them.

[+_+] <--- omg!! it's a lego man!!!™

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

ads are the oxygen our culture breathes.
    i hate them. they put so much pressure on all our fragile little adorable identities. they portray such unattainable, unhealthy, and often unenviable ideals of living but they convince us we need to stive for it. ads for tommy and ralph lauren are by far the worst offenders.
    still though, they are the primary communication device between the media and the people.

it was a vw polo.

http://www.challenge-ie.com/columns/excelsior

Originally posted by Dead{o}Santa:
    IMO adds are utter nonsense.
    I do my best to avoid them.
    [/B]

I can't agree with that, as a web developer/designer dude. What would the web be if advertising didn't exist? Most web sites are, when you break it down, essentially ads themselves.

Most television is utter crap these days, - it's sad, but sometimes the ads are a welcome release.

Bard
    |home page

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭[SN]JAG

I dont care what anyone says the Snickers add is the BEST

"I cant...............Give up"
    "i cant...............stop trying to fly"
    "i cant...............get down"

[This message has been edited by [SN]JAG (edited 03-09-2000).]

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Bard:
    What would the web be if advertising didn't exist?
    A free medium for exchange of ideas and information... much like it is now, only with less "Punch the monkey" silliness.

I don't mind banner adds on web sites that much, because they are easily ignored and/or scrolled off the current view of the page.
    Of course banner adds are a large incentive for people to start free web services, but again I will ignore them for all time, let the web master get his +1 impression (or whatever they like to call it).
    But I'll never click one, or even read one.

Considering just how many web site add banners consist of:

"Your internet connection is not optimised, optimise it now? [Yes]/[No]"

"Punch the monkey and win $xxx"

"<<BLINK>>FREE DOMAIN NAMES<<BLINK>>"

"INSTANT CREDIT APPROVAL!!!"

"FREE LOTTO"

The list goes on and on...
    The only thing these adds could possibly offer me upon clicking would be a quick chuckle as I read through a poxy add-stuffed site with content about as interesting as some spam email.

If advertising banners were a bit less annoying (blinking, fake [yes]/[no] boxes, all-round cheezyness), they might just convince me to click on one.
    But for now, if I see any more "Punch the monkey" banners, I just leave the site and never come back.

([+_+]) <--- omg!! it's a lego man with big ears!!!™

Oh yeah, fine- but I wasn't even talking about banner ads really-... a lot of web sites themselves, when you break it down and look at it objectively are nothing other than ads themselves. Granted, they're big ads that give a truck load of information in many cases, but they all say the same thing... buy our stuff... or even... come work for us (still, technically an ad). Advertising has it's place, and web design would be kinda lost without it.

Bard
    |home page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

Dead{o}Santa a bit hard on them are you not, like if your think that the boards.ie cost nuthing think again you have hosting and bandwith costs, and we are very luck to have loads of free work done by devore and spinsol + a lot of other people like cloud.
    so the cost of running some of the big site can be in the 1,000's per month. The money has to come from some where, ok some sites are just adds which is a bit thick but think about it lots of the adds are for good sites like the boards.ie, and other games sites and things you might like to know about.
    so as long as the site is not just a pure add for some thing and is content with adds helping to keep it free for me then good luck to them.

Coyote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

A free medium for exchange of ideas and information... much like it is now, only with less "Punch the monkey" silliness.

punch the moneky...ohh classic....roflmafao

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

Yeah I know it's a pile of rancid pants but I bet you've tried punch the monkey haven't you? biggrin.gif I know I enjoy punching that damned monkey's head when I'm waiting for pages to load. Don't think Ive ever let it load the link when I did indeed connect glove with monkey face.

I am inflatible !

Coyote: I know websites cost money to run, and as I said, for the costs of running the site I can tolerate a benner add, just so long as it's not too IN YOUR FACE or stupid.
    And animated/Javascript banners are just the tool of the devil.

<...mumbles on for many more paragraphs...>

([+_+]) <--- omg!! it's a lego man with big ears!!!™

Advertisement