Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crappy gimmicks

• 30-09-2004 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

Apart from me, what do people think is the worst gimmick a wrestler ever had ever?

Mr America probably takes it by a country mile for me, but I came across this site here to bring back a few memories of some truly awful excuses

http://www.angelfire.com/wrestling3/funnywrestlers/index.html.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

Hmmm... how about Just Joe??
    His gimmick was that he was a gossip backstage!!
    Fantastic!! Absolutely inspired writing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

The Shockmaster. Good god, that was horrible. You have to see the clip of his debut, truly hillarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Do u have a link to that clip by any chance? Never actually heard of Shockmaster (or else he was truly forgettable!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Well Mordichi sucked ass and lets not forget sexual choclate (shivers)

http://www.x-entertainment.com/messages/431.html

This page has a few truly horrible gimmicks described. Including a nice description and clip of the Shockmaster's debut. Its truly amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Wacker wrote:
    http://www.x-entertainment.com/messages/431.html

This page has a few truly horrible gimmicks described. Including a nice description and clip of the Shockmaster's debut. Its truly amazing.

The link dont seem to work. Im intrigued now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

smiaras wrote:

Yeah, I agree, Carlito looks really mock and boring. Other current wrestlers whom I think have pretty lame gimmicks are Rosy and The Hurricane (super hero stuff is just stupid), Eugene (the simpleton, soft in the head thing is completely overdone). Past wrestlers: Doink the clown tops my list, followed closely by the sheep sha... :eek: ... I mean The Bushwhackers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Magnolia_Fan

Actually Vince did go through with the "Puke" character it just ended pretty abruptly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Havent checked that list yet, so this is all from memory but wasnt there a whole "giant egg + chicken" stunt in the WWF at one point?

Also the bush wackers were ****ing cool :D

• Advertisement

Gimmick, I opened the link fom you quoting it in your post just above, and it worked fine. Just be sure to skip the ads by clicking on the link at the top that gives you that option.

Giant Chicken was The Gobblety Gooper...If I spelled that right...WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!..Thanks giving or no thanks giving a giant bird suit is not suitable for a wrestling show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

Give Carlito a chance..The Hurricaine is a stupid character but Helms is still alive and kickin with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Doink
    Kamala
    Mr. America
    Goldust? (Just unbelievanly weird at times)
    Brutus the Barber Beefcake (was kinna cool though)
    The Repo Man (utter ****e)
    123 kid (later xpac)
    The Posh Hunter Hearst Helmsley thing too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Giant Chicken was The Gobblety Gooper...If I spelled that right...WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!..Thanks giving or no thanks giving a giant bird suit is not suitable for a wrestling show

Actually The Gobbely Gooker was played by none other than Hector Gurrerro , Eddie's Brother. So even Chavo and his toy horse was'nt the butt of the jokes at Christmas dinner.

I did'nt think Doink was crap, his original persona as an evil clown like Pennywise from Stephen King's IT was great, down right creepy.
    It was only when he started hanging around with Dink and became a face that things went crap.

My vote for worst would be Mantuar - a guy coming to the ring in a giant Cow's head looks even more ridiculous than it sounds, although i'm sure he could get a job as Hunky Dory's mascot nowadays.

Another that could possibly have been one of the worst but thankfully never got out of the ideas room was when they were thinking up Stone Cold's name and had a few options for what you would call a cold blooded Character -
    Chilli McFreeze was the first answer , Ice Dagger was the second , i'm so glad they went with the Third.

Don't think "McFreeze 3:16" would have become the best selling WWE T-Shirt of all time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭meepmeep

D-FENS wrote:
    Chilli McFreeze was the first answer , Ice Dagger was the second , i'm so glad they went with the Third.

I don't think Stone Cold was an option at the time was it? Apparently, when he was with his first wife (who was english) she told him to drink his tea before it got stone cold, and he took that to Vince then?

But yeah, Chilli McFreeze would have sucked! Can you imagine JR? "oh my god, its chilli mcfreeze!!!! stunner! stunner! for the love of God!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Chilli McFreeze???? That sounds like a product of a joint venture between HB Ice Cream and McDonalds. :D

That would be like calling Hurricaine Captain @ss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

That would be like calling Hurricaine Captain @ss

Well they add a Mr. Ass , so Captain Ass is not unimaginable.

• Advertisement

lol Mr. Ass!...what were they thinking!..Who ever didn't stop watching after Mr. Ass probably left after Rico...I was watching Raw before and my aunts and cousins were in the room..talk about embarassing!..Rico that is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

I hate that when you are watching wrestling with someone who isn't a fan and you are trying to prove how great it actually is when some embarassing crap comes on for the whole time they are there.

After they leave, an armageddon hell in a cell will probably break out just to rub it in.

As for terrible gimmicks, MAN MOUNTAIN ROCK. Is he actually a figment of my imagination or was he a fat bearded grunge guy. My memory is hazy at best so please settle my dementia if you remember the God-awfulness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Gotta be the shockmasters debut, and his mask, a Star Wars storm trooper mask just painted sparkly purple. Will Regal is pretty lame. Eugene is terrible, really embarassing, and it shows how ignorant wrestling can be at times.
    Not really a gimmick but what about the time Triple H dressed up as kane and pretended to have sex with a corpse in a coffin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Unit00

There is a website called at www.wrestlecrap.com check out the gimmicks there. It gets updated most fridays and is constantly entertaining

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

For me it had to be Lo Down .... that was the most insulting and embarressing gimmick around, I know the anti american gimmick always gets heat, but to do it with an Asian (Indian) flavour, made my toes curl every time.

Especially with D-Lo .... could have been such a cool team ... Lo Down ... it's even a cool name ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

What about that guy Shawn Stasiak?In interviews he'd give dumb rhymes like "Do you think I'm a little craziak"?
    Boy did that gimmick bomb!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

I thought Stasiak was great. Saw him live once, I think it was InsurreXtion in London, nobody bar me and the guy I was with cheered at all. So many good wrestlers are wasted because of a crap gimmick.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭moongoose

to borrow from the ayatollah of rock n rolla
    the crappiest gimmick eeeeeevvvvvveeeeeerrrrrr would have to be randy orton as a baby face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

What about that guy Shawn Stasiak?In interviews he'd give dumb rhymes like "Do you think I'm a little craziak"?
    Boy did that gimmick bomb!

Yeah, that planet Stasiak thing made no sense, awful

Another bad gimmick was william regal as the wood man
    "A real mans man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

Sorry but it totally has to be barry horowitz for me! the whole back-patting thing was just farcical. And john Cena's Character aint much better. Taker or hogan still the best character Regardless.

Advertisement