Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cayman Netopia question

• 30-09-2004 10:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a Cayman Netopia broadband adapter from Eircom. At the moment I have two computers using it (1 via Ethernet, the other via USB). This works fine.

Basically one is my new PC and the other is my old one so I need to transfer a lot of files from one to another

Is there any way I can use this set-up (Cayman Netopia/USB/Ethernet) to transfer files from one of my two PCs to the other ?

I know I could trundle over to Peats and buy a cable for €15 but that kind of goes against the grain...

Any help will be appreciated.

Flame on !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zenith74

I haven't tried that setup you have but I presume both PCs have IP addresses? If so then just try pinging one from the other, if you can then you'll be able to tranfer files, if not you won't.
    As an example incase you dunno how to do it. PC 1 has IP address 192.168.1.1 and PC 2 has IP address 192.168.1.2. Go to PC 1, open a command prompt and type "ping 192.168.1.2", if you get replies then they can communicate so file sharing should be possible, if not then it probably isn't. Be aware that certain software firewalls will block ping packets so you're better off switching off any S/W firewalls first.
    If you do get replies to the ping request, open Network Neighbourhood on PC 1 and change the path to "file://192.168.1.2" or "\\192.168.1.2" (without the "" of course) and see if you can browse the other PC. Obviously if you're on 95/98/ME you'll want to have enabled file sharing. If you're using 2000/XP you'll probably get an error at some point saying you don't have permission which you'll have to sort it out (easiest way is to set up identical usernames and passwords on both PCs) but at least you know they're talking :)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Zenith74 wrote:
    I haven't tried that setup you have but I presume both PCs have IP addresses? If so then just try pinging one from the other, if you can then you'll be able to tranfer files, if not you won't.
    As an example incase you dunno how to do it. PC 1 has IP address 192.168.1.1 and PC 2 has IP address 192.168.1.2. Go to PC 1, open a command prompt and type "ping 192.168.1.2", if you get replies then they can communicate so file sharing should be possible, if not then it probably isn't. Be aware that certain software firewalls will block ping packets so you're better off switching off any S/W firewalls first.
    If you do get replies to the ping request, open Network Neighbourhood on PC 1 and change the path to "file://192.168.1.2" or "\\192.168.1.2" (without the "" of course) and see if you can browse the other PC. Obviously if you're on 95/98/ME you'll want to have enabled file sharing. If you're using 2000/XP you'll probably get an error at some point saying you don't have permission which you'll have to sort it out (easiest way is to set up identical usernames and passwords on both PCs) but at least you know they're talking :)...

Thanks very much. That worked fine.

Advertisement