Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1-Series spotted in Galway

Options
  • 01-10-2004 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭

After looking at pics and not being sure about the new yummy-mummy must-have from BMW I finally saw one in Galway today and I declare it the ugliest thing since the Hyundai Santa Fe.

It looks like the b4st4rd offspring of a Chrysler PT Cruiser (puke) and a new Renault Megane - somebody stop Chris Bangle before he loses the plot altogether. How could you design the Fiat Coupe and follow it up with the 1-series, a car without a market segment or an iota of appeal.

I can safely say I don't want santa to jam one in my sack this xmas. Or buy me a 1-series.... Go on, tell me I'm wrong.

'ceptr.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

Yeh, my mate said he saw one in Dublin the other day and it looks gawd awful, sure they can't have too many people bying them, instead of a 3 series. I heard they had to release something small to be eco friendly.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

apparently they are selling quite well!
    WRT Chris Bangle - BMW HQ promoted him out of harms way a few months ago. However, the pipeline still contains a few of his designs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

I've was at the launch party, and then got to test drive it a few days later - Honestly its ok, nothing special it actually looks more like the Z3 M series hardtop but with two additional doors.

Drives nice, but very small and cheap on the inside.....not worth 40k for the diesel, if your gonna pay that kinda money go for an Audi A3 2.0 TDI Quattro ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

what!? there's no A3 2.0 Tdi with quattro. if there is whats the price.

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

Sorry your right Hashslinging - I saw one the other day but it was obiously a fake quatro badge, the only avaliable one is the 3.2 :( and thats 44k...

• Advertisement

Doh wish there was.. would be a sweet motor.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

sure i always see this A4 1.8T Saloon with an RS4 badge on it on my way to work :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Have to say I liked the look of the 1-series in the press release photos but I've seen 3 of them on the roads and they look horrible. And if you drive "the 1" people are always just gonna think u could afford a "proper" BMW

1_1024.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

fletch wrote:
    Have to say I liked the look of the 1-series in the press release photos but I've seen 3 of them on the roads and they look horrible. And if you drive "the 1" people are always just gonna think u could afford a "proper" BMW

That's Status Anxiety in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,394 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

DirtyDog wrote:
    it actually looks more like the Z3 M series hardtop but with two additional doors

Hey that's exactly what I was thinking! Never liked the looks of the Z3 M myself either :)

Then again, it takes me longer and longer to start appreciating new BMW's. I didn't like the looks of the previous 5 series (E39) for years. Like them now :)

I'd like to see some reviews, especially some comparing the 1 series with the competition, i.e. the A3 and the Alfa 147. I'd imagine the 1 series is a good car alright...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

unkel wrote:
    I'd imagine the 1 series is a good car alright...

Ah but you are only a 'little' bit biased!! And I wouldn't put the 147 up against the 1-series. Or anything else for that matter. I don't want to start a new thread but exactly what is the competition for this car? Opel Signum? Renault Vel Satis?

Is it a short station-wagon or a long hatchback?

Answers on a postcard to the usual address.....

'ceptr

its a 5 door family hatch-back, the biggest sellers in the car market. I think the 1-series looks terrible on the road, seen one for the first time today. maybe with a M-kit it will look "ok" but no, I wont be changing for this in the near future. If I do I'll just go for a second hand 5 series.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

5-door family hatch? Like Mondeo/Laguna/Mazda6/156? Or Mazda3/Civic/Megane/Focus? I thought it fell in between those two barstools and banged its head on the brass rail, giving it delusions of grandeur. My bet is it dies a death in Ireland, like its fish-faced stablemate the Z4....

'c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 abgeurteilt

I'm getting one from the garage for the weekend. And I hope to be ordering the 120d for the new year.

I'm surprised to see all the negitive comments about it. I thought it was great.

Prefer my Leon Tdi PD150 to be honest. might lose more money in the long term and be front wheel drive :rolleyes: but at least they're not three a penny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

I went for a test drive in one (One 1) last week, and was utterly unimpressed all-round. In fact, there wasn't a single thing about it that would encourage me to buy one. Rear wheel drive? There's no feckin power so what does it matter! I would take an Alfa 147 and a second hand Corolla (for when the Alfa's broken) any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

I'm getting one from the garage for the weekend. And I hope to be ordering the 120d for the new year.

I'm surprised to see all the negitive comments about it. I thought it was great.

You wouldn't be surprised if you frequented many BMW forums - have yet to see a positive review from an interested buyer - no space in the back, unimpressive drive, and at just short of €50K for a well specced model, a complete rip-off when compared to other cars in the same bracket - a Golf/A3/Focus are all better options imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

oh and finally - unless its a real high spec model its ugly beyond belief....

• Registered Users Posts: 65,394 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Ah but you are only a 'little' bit biased!!

I'd like to think I'm not. I do not like the looks of the 1-series. My current car is a BMW and so was my previous car. It is quite likely but not certain that my next car will be a BMW - and it sure won't be a small BMW :)

The 1-series competition is generally considered to be 147 and A3, although I'm a bit confused myself about comparing 3 an 5 door cars

Reminds me of the Mazda 323 F model. It's the only half decent new thing Mazda has done between 1989 (MX-5) and 2003 (6) and then they completely screwed up the look of the 3rd generation :rolleyes:

Which, actually is not that dissimilar looking compared to the 1-series...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 abgeurteilt

kdevitt wrote:
    oh and finally - unless its a real high spec model its ugly beyond belief....

I'm getting a 120d Sport in Germany for about €24 k . So you might see where I am coming from when I say I think its great.

• Advertisement
Advertisement