Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1st Bush v Kerry Debate

• 01-10-2004 3:37am
    Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭

well the first debate is just over

"homeland security"

anyone got any thoughts on it?

after watching it, i think kerry wiped the Floor with bush.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

Yeh Kerry was very impressive. It was so refreshing to see a president (ial candidate) talking articulately, and with a weight of facts behind him. The way he was able to bring up facts from the past and talk clearly about what is going on was such a breath of fresh air in the bush-era. You get a real sense of experience from him. 'Learned' is the perfect word.

It was very poor the way Bush couldn't move away from his talking points at all. Unlike Kerry, he just floundered once outside the pre-scripted zone. Reminded me a little bit of the Carol Collman interview.

Definately Kerry 1 Bush 0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Just watched the full replay there on sky news active, then switched to the post debate comments on Fox news (always good for a laugh). One thing I've noticed about fox news is they their subtetly, or lack there of. They'll always have people from both sides of the fence but they're often hand-chosen and the hosts tend to beat the liberals down.
    On the post-debate chat though the republican was desperately trying to belittle how badly GWB came across saying things like: "americans saw a man with emotion" and "he wasn't slouching, he was taking notes". The democrat just smiled patiently waiting his turn to speak knowing he had the upper hand. He told it how it was, calmly but with utter finality. Heheh, fittingly held many parallels with the debate itself..
    The background though was all republican supporters with banners et al impressing a very clear "vote bush" subliminal message. Oh fox how I love thee, you make me laugh so much...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭keu

yep..totally agree, watched it live on euronews. Kerry did a great job.
    "You get a real sense of experience from him. 'Learned' is the perfect word."..very much so, he speaks very clearly and confidently, knows what he's talking about and made all his points succinctly (but did get a sense he was holding back slightly on a few topics) yea, he made a meal out of Bush. It was great viewing.

(particularly liked it when he pulled Bush up on Korea, great point)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

Yea but how did the American people see it is the question. I think all this stuff about Americans seeing Kerry as too complicated and liking to vote for regular joes like themselves is maddness. Whats wrong with these people, they are voting for the most powerfull person in the world. Vote for sombody with half a brain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Kerry was very cool, calm and collected.

Bush was flustered, stuttering and leaving big pauses in his speech.

At one point, he somehow managed to say "September 10th" instead of 11th, which, given the topic of Homeland security, was a bit strange. He lost his cool a bit and began to raise his voice just a touch.

I still think Bush is going to win the election, be it fairly or otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

One interesting media related point to make is that Bush supposedly requested no cut aways during the opposition points. Bush Snr. was caught looking at his watch 3 times during his, and Gore was caught rolling his eyes etc. which reflected badly on him.

The US networks aired a split screen of the debate, and from what I heard Bush was seen getting aggitated and angry, while Kerry was calm, often taking notes.

Another funny media thing is that AP accidently released an article on the debates before they took place (and it was written in the past-tense). Great stuff!

I'd say Kerry won that, but not by enough of a gap to really effect the elections for the better just yet. It need a defining moment to really get people to notice.

flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭emertoff

I thought Bush started well but went backwards with his inability to communicate and constant repetition throughout all the questions.
    Very impressed with Kerry, especially how well briefed he was and his ability to attack Bush without coming across as too aggressive or personal.
    Considering Homeland Security was supposedly his achilles heel, he is well placed for the other 2 debates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Is anyone actually surprised at the outcome? I mean come on Bush is an idiot the fact Kerry won it hands down is hardly anything that I find odd. The same will happen with the other ones too ( unless something horrid happens i.e. the end of the world ) the US will still go for Bush though because they believe the election is about voting for the "Guy I'd Like To Invite To My BBQ" instead of the "Guy In Charge of my Country and the Future of my Kids". I.Q. test not required for voting unfortunately :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Is anyone actually surprised at the outcome? I mean come on Bush is an idiot the fact Kerry won it hands down is hardly anything that I find odd. The same will happen with the other ones too ( unless something horrid happens i.e. the end of the world ) the US will still go for Bush though because they believe the election is about voting for the "Guy I'd Like To Invite To My BBQ" instead of the "Guy In Charge of my Country and the Future of my Kids". I.Q. test not required for voting unfortunately :rolleyes:

Well I'm not surprised, just relieved. Why? Because Kerry beat Bush on substance and style. Up until now Bush was the loveable guy next door, Kerry was some rich kid braniac. Kerry showed an accessibility and a capability to lead, as well as show good solid policy.

emertoff, Security in general is a traditional democratic weak point, and so any debate on foreign policy naturally swings in the favour of the republicans. While Kerry didnt hit any killer blows, he did some damage. He gained credibility and showed a weaker side to Bush. Any victory in a security debate is a good one for Kerry. The next two (one in DC, Kerry's strongest state) are likely to focus more on domestic policy, which should make for easy times for Kerry. Even without destroying Bush, 3 out of 3 should really invigorate his base and campaign.

flogen

Advertisement