Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I banned from Christianity?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Somebody please +rep this on behalf, I'm not allowed...

:D
    Neither am I:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

ditto

Why thank you, I'm like totally feeling humungous love for one quote which basically rips off the theme of that Bill Hicks joke; "Hey buddy we're christians and we don't like what you said" Hicks, "Well forgive me"

But for those of you who want to show you appreciate me you can join the "Mycroft appreciation society"

For just €9.99 you'll recieve a letter welcoming you to the mycroft fan club which has been personally approved by my secretary

And thats about it........

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

How exactly was it approved by your secretary? And what was she wearing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Amp.....i think you mean what was HE wearing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Have you got pictures?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

<.<
    >.>

Maybe...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

SO to be clear JustHalf, if I start a thread criticizing you that's OK. But if I respond to a poster using offfensive language and am critical of you as mod in the process - then that earns me a ban?

.../me struggles to get my head around your logic.

Also do you still feel that the poster's use of the phrase 'dirtiest bummer' was acceptable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

It's generally considered bad form to criticise a boards modding decisions on the board itself. That's what this forum is for. If someone started such a thread on the Christianity board I'd probably move it here, leaving a link on the board.

The fact of the matter is I twice said take your criticisms elsewhere, before you posted. The ban was "zero tolerance" (mentioned a few times too) in action.

I read the original posters post as making a jab at the very intolerance you also seem to be against. I think this is a reasonable interpretation. If the post was just "Homos are dirty bummers" I would have deleted it immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

JustHalf wrote:
    The ban was "zero tolerance" (mentioned a few times too) in action.
    If the post was just "Homos are dirty bummers" I would have deleted it immediately.

<stir>

So what you're saying is that you wouldn't tolerate the sentence on its own, but because it was wrapped in a more cogent statement, you'll tolerate it.....under your policy of zero-tolerance.

</stir>

jc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

bonkey wrote:
    <stir>

So what you're saying is that you wouldn't tolerate the sentence on its own, but because it was wrapped in a more cogent statement, you'll tolerate it.....under your policy of zero-tolerance.

</stir>

jc

Well of course, you're not meant to take the written word literally.......

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

syke wrote:
    Well of course, you're not meant to take the written word literally.......

you're not!? :eek:
    well, hell!
    that's got me confused

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I know, I'm confused too. I'm just about to wander out into the desert with my shovel to go for a dump, but when I get back I'm going to have some serious thinking to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Beruthiel wrote:
    you're not!? :eek:
    well, hell!
    that's got me confused

Well thats hardly surprising, most creationists are from the older generation :p
    ecksor wrote:
    I know, I'm confused too. I'm just about to wander out into the desert with my shovel to go for a dump, but when I get back I'm going to have some serious thinking to do.

Don't you be talking to any burning bushes out there.....

Actually as an interesting aside I read a paper by a pharmacologist-priest who made a claim that one of the fungi commonly consumed for water and nourishment by desert nomads in the BC era was a potent hallucinogen which probably gave rise to incidences of talking bushes and birds and voices from above etc. He said its quite likely that many of these prophets were actually recounting true experiences and as a priest believed that perhaps these drug induced states allowed them to percieve God. Of course this is woolly scientific/religious thinking at best seeing as the native americans and old celtic tribes used drugs to contact their gods too, but its interesting none the less.

I'd probably like to discuss this on a board, but I'm not sure justhalf would let me away with a thread that suggests many of the bibles passages are the ancestoral equivilant to Jay and Silent Bob strikes back, being an account of the adventures of anti-social stoners and junkies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

bonkey wrote:
    <stir>

</stir>

jc
    That's some stirring. Those two sentences referred to two seperate posts. It's not fair to mash them together like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Welcome to the world of little-league politics. Hope your stay is comfortable.
    syke wrote:
    Actually as an interesting aside I read a paper by a pharmacologist-priest who made a claim that one of the fungi commonly consumed for water and nourishment by desert nomads in the BC era was a potent hallucinogen which probably gave rise to incidences of talking bushes and birds and voices from above etc. He said its quite likely that many of these prophets were actually recounting true experiences and as a priest believed that perhaps these drug induced states allowed them to percieve God. Of course this is woolly scientific/religious thinking at best seeing as the native americans and old celtic tribes used drugs to contact their gods too, but its interesting none the less.

I'd probably like to discuss this on a board, but I'm not sure justhalf would let me away with a thread that suggests many of the bibles passages are the ancestoral equivilant to Jay and Silent Bob strikes back, being an account of the adventures of anti-social stoners and junkies.

Hmm... Interesting stuff...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

At times like this we should remember these wise words:

"The phrase of the century is this: A closed mind remains empty. When you shut out everything that disagrees with your current worldview, you will learn nothing. An open mind is a key ingredient in learning, and all of us have things to learn."

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

At times like this we should remember these wise words:

"The phrase of the century is this: A closed mind remains empty. When you shut out everything that disagrees with your current worldview, you will learn nothing. An open mind is a key ingredient in learning, and all of us have things to learn."

The key ingredient is just a *touch* of nutmeg.

an open mind gets filled with that old christian\god rubbish imvho

Advertisement