Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taking The Michael?

• 01-10-2004 8:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭

I have to say its really bad that Michael Owen dosen't get a game at Real Madrid. In fairness everyone knows alongwith himself he was never going to start in that team. Why move to a team where your just going to warm the bench every game ( obviously the money was too good to turn down ), its such a waste of talent. Playing for Real Madrid isn't what its cracked up to be anymore, he was playing for one of the most well respected, well supported clubs in the world before he moved there. Don't get me wrong I am United man but its so disappointing to see talent wasted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

from teamtalk. F*ck him TBH (I'm still bitter)

Owen's Madrid future in Real doubt

Michael Owen admits he could be forced to reconsider his future at Real Madrid if first-team opportunities continue to elude him.

The England striker has struggled to make his mark at the Bernabeu since moving from Liverpool in an £8m transfer in the summer.

The 24-year-old faces a tough job displacing Raul and Ronaldo but he also appears to be behind Fernando Morientes and Guti in the pecking order since Garcia Remon took over from Jose Antonio Camacho three games ago.

And Owen said: "I don't have a crystal ball so I don't know at what stage I should start being worried, but I would be worried if this continued right the way through the season.

"If that happened then obviously I'd have to ask questions about myself.

"At Liverpool I was first choice every week. What Raul is to the Real Madrid supporters, I was in a way to the Liverpool supporters.

"I was an important player. The big difference is that I'm not playing as much in Madrid.''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

Id still take him back. Given the brand of football are now playing i think he's score 20+.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Owen is a waste of money at 8mil! Liverpool got a bargain! always thought he was useless! will prob start a war now! but actually who else wud buy him but Liverpool?????? name one other club???? cant see Utd/Chelsea/Arsenal or any other top club killing themselves to get him! Real have already admitted more or less they only signed him to keep the fans happy and they really wanted Vieira! Benitez done a gud bit of business and I cant see why Liverpool wud want him back now!! he f**ked them over for money!! as well he aint in PL anymore so I dont have to look at his stupid interviews anymore!!

All he cud do in his prime was run fast! cant even do that now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Now I am ceratinly not a big Celtic fan tbh but I am sure Chris Sutton and Michael Owen would be lethal. The football world has to be sick of Real Madrid, they come along with their big money when in reality they haven't the first clue about players or how a football team works. They ruined Becks career, if only himeself and fergie could have patched things up I am still bitter about that one. But I am glad Pat Vieira didn't go, not only dose tell madrid F U but it speaks volumes about English football. Madrid are now an ageing regime, Zidane, Figo, Roberto Carlos and Michel Salgado. Ronaldo may have lost a stone but the guy hasnt been the same since he was at Barcelona. Oh Michael why the hell did you let money rule your head, you stupid boy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Owen was, and is, a class act. £8million for him was a bargain and if the Madrid coaching staff are too frightened to stand up to a well-past it Raul and his cronies, then that's their loss. Camacho left because the players rule the roost there and with Raul as their ring-leader, Owen isn't going to get a look in.

I'd have him back at Anfield in a flash, I mean his goalscoring record speaks for itself. There's parallels here between Owen and Ian Rush's season at Juventus. Time to bring him home I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Willem D wrote:
    Real Madrid...... They ruined Becks career, if only himeself and fergie could have patched things up I am still bitter about that one. But I am glad Pat Vieira didn't go, not only dose tell madrid F U but it speaks volumes about English football.

well said....for a Man U head :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Owen was, and is, a class act. £8million for him was a bargain and if the Madrid coaching staff are too frightened to stand up to a well-past it Raul and his cronies, then that's their loss. Camacho left because the players rule the roost there and with Raul as their ring-leader, Owen isn't going to get a look in.

I'd have him back at Anfield in a flash, I mean his goalscoring record speaks for itself. There's parallels here between Owen and Ian Rush's season at Juventus. Time to bring him home I think.

As I mentioned above only Liverpool wud buy him! no other club wud bother! cant see why Liverpool fans wud take him back! he is a money grabber! didnt care much for the fans for the last 2 years while stalling on a new contract so he cud get his own way!! anyway wasnt it all the Liverpool fans on the forum here that where sayin that Baros and Cisse wud be there first choice strike force and that Owen didnt deserve his place???

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

His admission that his move might not have been the best decision of his career (here) has to win the "Like, duh!" award of the year. Was there a football fan on the planet who expected Owen to feature more than once a month in that team?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

my advice would be too leave Real at the next oppurtunity and go back to Liverpool;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

my advice would be too leave Real at the next oppurtunity and go back to Liverpool;)

I dunno, Shelbourne could do with a good Striker!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

He has said that he didnt go for the money (of course he would) but he's not on the galactico wage at Madrid, so I dont think he's on much more than he would have been had he signed a new contract at Liverpool. And if he was really greedy he could have played out his contract and got a massive (£5m+) signing on fee for himself when going to a new club next summer.

To say he's no use is just silly. You dont get a goalscoring record like his without being good. His record for England in competitive games is better than a goal every 2 games. And you dont score goals like the one he got v Argentina and the cup final winner v Arsenal without having ability.

Plus he's a model professional and has always had a lucky streak. There's plenty of clubs who would pay £8m for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Take it

It really annoys me that people say Micheal Owen is useless, i feel he has proved that he is good enough to finish in the top 5 scores of the premiership and scores goals at vital times for liverpool, he has consistantly scored over 15 goals a season since 2000 and scored 19 goals 2 seasons in a row in 2002 qnd 2003 and even with a injury prone season scored 16 in 2004.

What made people think Micheal Owen is useless? what facts do you have to back this?? ok he hasn't scored for Real yet but it takes time to settle in to a new style with new team mates.

i would also like to point out that Owen is in the top 10 all time scorers in the premiership (seventh) with the second highest scoring percentage (in the top 10) rate of 55% only second to Henry at 65%.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Owen took a PAY CUT to go to Real Madrid.

It was NOT a money decision, it was a football/life/career decision. It's a decision that it now looks like he's regretting, but it was the harder decision for him to make than to sign a new contract at Liverpool. I'm a Liverpool fan, and I think I'd have him back in a flash, but I'm not sure Benitez would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

it kinda reminds me of when steve mc manaman (sp???) left the pool to go there as well and look at him now!!! i just hope owen doesnt end up like this such a waste of talent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Playing in 2 European Cup finals, winning both, and even scoring in one.

Yeah, I bet he regrets every minute :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

At least he's making Robbie Keane's Inter Milan spell look a bit more respectable. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Owens Madrid career is over because the temporary manager hasnt started him in his what.....2......3 games so far? Pull the other one lads.

Owen was and still is a legend. His goals speak for themselves. Everyone was going on about how much of a **** season he had last year, but he still scored 16 in 29 I think. I would hate to see him on a good year.

And he didnt leave Liverpool for money, and he didnt string them along. He said from the beginning that at this stage of his career he wanted to challenge for honours. Something that he couldnt really do at Liverpool (at the moment).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The Liverpool team was focussed around him (and Gerrard) for the last few years. His 'strike partner' Heskey was scoring what, 3 or 4 goals a season? Any time they played him alongside another forward who knew how to score goals, neither of them could get anything done, as the long ball-knock down-finish routine was disrupted and there was no backup plan.

Advertisement