Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Article] Kerr hints at O'Shea midfield berth for Paris match

• 01-10-2004 9:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭

Kerr hints at O'Shea midfield berth for Paris match
    http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=94&si=1260270&issue_id=11489

AS IRELAND manager Brian Kerr yesterday expanded on his squad selection for Saturday week's World Cup qualifier in Paris, his French counterpart Raymond Domenech also revealed his hand ahead of their Group 4 clashes with the Irish and, four days later, in Cyprus.

Rumours of the guillotine being applied to Thierry Henry have been rife in French football circles, despite his inclusion in Domenech's squad.

As regards his own squad, Kerr dropped a broad hint that John O'Shea's recent experiences in the middleof Manchester United'smidfield may bereplicated in a green shirt. Whether it is sooner rather than later will depend on the progress Matt Holland makes this weekend as he returns for Charlton from the ankle injury which has so far curtailed his season.

"I saw the United match last Saturday and John played well in that role and I know he did well there against Liverpool a few days earlier," said Kerr.

"It looks as if he's going to play a lot more there for Manchester United and I'm glad United have decided to do so. It's easier for a club with 60 games a season to experiment rather than us who have 10 or 12.

"He's had two years at United learning to play the full back positions and learning the responsibilities and I think that is long enough. And now that he's played so well in central midfield over the last few weeks, he has certainly given me something to think about and given us another option."

Kerr also revealed that he had advised Andy Reid to mediate with Joe Kinnear, the Nottingham Forest manager whose animosity towards the transfer-listed player resulted in him being dropped from the squad earlier this month.

"I felt at the time that it was a lot of mad stuff and I spoke to Andy who couldn't believe he was out of the squad," said Kerr.

"He called me and told me that he didn't think it was fair. Obviously the manager has his own angle. I told him that he needed to go and sort it out because it wasn't doing him any good from my point of view.

"Sometimes you've got to go and bow to the manager and say what ever you have to say. So I suggested that he needed to talk to the manager and get it sorted out for the good of himself, for us, but for the club mostly.

"It wasn't a good situation because he played every minute of every match last season and is obviously one of the most talented players at the club.

"There was a bit of frustration on his part about not getting to the Premiership but you've got to earn that and it's also the club's right to decide when they do or don't sell you when you are under contract.

"He signed a contract there and it's the manager's authority. But I'm glad that he's back in and he laid on the winning goal for Marlon King against West Ham last Sunday with a great pass. That would not have been a nice match to miss given the circumstances."

As for striker David Connolly's omission from the squad, Kerr commented: "He hasn't played for us since last year's game against Switzerland and hadn't scored this season until Saturday." Words destined to make this angry of ants even angrier perhaps. Plus ca change. Kerr spared a few thoughts for his French counterpart Domenech.

"They've only had three games under the new manager so it's difficult to assess the impact," said Kerr in polite deference to his forthcoming opponents. "You would say he brings his own thing to the squad.

"There has been an awful lot of change forced on him and I would say that he would not have liked that. But there's still an awful lot of strength in depth.

"France have no shortage of good players and now have players aged 23, 24 and 25 who were kept out of the team by the great recent players and they will have this burning desire to move on.

"Players such as David Trezeguet, Olivier Dacourt and Sylvain Wiltord are now in contention while they have players who are in the Champions League with Paris St Germain, Lyon and Monaco plus those with clubs who are in the UEFA Cup."

France's squad includes captain Patrick Vieira, who will be suspended for the match against Ireland.

Goalkeepers: Barthez
    (Marseille), Coupet (Lyon), Defenders: Boumsong (Rangers), Evra (Monaco), Gallas (Chelsea), Givet (Monaco), Silvestre (Man U), Squillaci (Monaco), Zebina (Juventus). Midfielders: Dacourt (Roma), Diarra (Lens), Mavuba (Bordeaux), Vieira (Arsenal). Strikers: Cisse (Liverpool), Govou (Lyon), Giuly (Barcelona), Henry (Arsenal), Pires (Arsenal), Trezeguet (Juventus) Wiltord (Lyon).

David Kelly

O Shea in the center of the park ? I suppose it makes some sense since he is dodgy at the back.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Hope it doesnt happen - he would be a serious liability through his lack of simple passing ability. I watched the last two games he played there - the liverpool game and the spurs game - and he wasnt very good at all. He was certainly more solid than some of the other midfielders that utd have at their disposal but he wasnt effective at all. Too many misplaced passes and headless-chicken style running. To give him his due, he had a few nice touches and a few good moments but more often than not, the first sentance by the commentator after JOS touched the ball was "oh, poor ball by O'Shea".

When you look at the talent we have - Kavanagh, Reid, Keane, Holland, etc.. we dont need JOS in there at all. He is a bit of a philip neville - a square peg being rammeds into a round hole because he isnt good enough anywhere else. Play JOS at left back - he is still better than Ian Harte... just about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I thought O'Shea played well against Liverpool, but from comments I've read on the thread at the time, I think I'm in the minority.

I think his best position is right back. But he rarely gets a chance to play there for club or country.

At centre midfield, I think he'd be at least as good as Holland, but Kavanagh would be my first choice to partner Keane.

He's also Ireland's best left back at the mo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I also think he did okay against Liverpool, although I would like to see him play a few m,ore games in that position before Kerr plays him there. I would rather see him there then Kavanagh or Holland although kilbane does ok when he plays in the centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I agree with the "Kerr hints at O'Shea midfield berth" bit but certainly not against France. There is no way Kerr will play him in midfield for the France game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

eirebhoy wrote:
    I agree with the "Kerr hints at O'Shea midfield berth" bit but certainly not against France. There is no way Kerr will play him in midfield for the France game.
    yeah its too big a risk to take

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

maybe he really meant when Holland kavanagh keane retires

Advertisement