Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Experiencing Problems with IOL in last few nights.

• 01-10-2004 11:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭

Is anyone experiencing problems with IOL BB recently.

Lately when I power up the modem, router, PC, the connection will work for a few minutes but then cuts out, no warning or anything just can't connect or ping to anything on the internet, the modem still has all the appropriate lights on but, firefox or IE cannot connect to any sites.

I thought it was a problem with the Zyxel modem but even after a cold reboot of everything sometimes it works and some times it doesn't.

I get the impression that its not a problem on my end as last night it was working for 20 minutes, then the connection went, I just waited and after a few minutes the connection was back again.

Anyone else getting these types of problems recently?

I don't run any p2p apps and I am not a heavy downloader, as I use BB more for the speed and reliability rather then downloading huge amounts of data, apart from the pre-load of HL2 on steam that is.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭JBoy

having no problems here in Clondalkin with IOL BB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I ocasionally have a problem with my connection but it is due to the router. In the middle of certain applications all the net goes dead. Wifi signal still there but i cant ping anything, or go to any websites, cant even get into the router config.

I wnet up having to go down and power off and on the router. Works then again. My problem is most likely though something related to wifi drivers and certain programs.

Which way are you connecting through, wires to the router or wireless/ Are you connecting directly through the modem or into a seperate router box? USB or Ethernet?

[no problem on IOLBB on Sutton exchange btw]

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I see you are in Navan - from other posts here it seems that there is an exchange problem in the 04 area which is affecting bb users in the area no matter which ISP you are with. Below is a quote from a post from a Clicksilver user. Might be worth trying to find out if that is whats affecting you.

machalla wrote:

Whats going on is that there is an exchange level problem in the 044/045 area it seems that is affecting not only UTV customers but also IOL and Eircom customers too (presumably some of the others as well). They have been waiting for about a week for eircom to do something about this (the problem was originally reported to Eircom by IOL it seems).

Anyone who has got a problem with Clicksilver (or IOL, Eircom etc) should contact their provider and ask them to get on to Eircom. The more people that are affected the more priority the problem will have and the faster (possibly) the problem will be sorted out. Of course since its Eircom who are causing the problem then that may be wishful thinking on my part that they will make make much of an effort to do anything about it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

no problems with it at all this week:)
    I am in Dublin though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

I had problems last night and this morning. resetting the modem and doing the configuration again fixed it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Yes, the connection can be intermittent I've noticed (or been told as I don't live there these days).

It was out for the last 2.5 days then came back yesterday and now is gone again.

I was just talking to UTV and mentioned it to them but they still have no resolution of the problem on Eircoms side.

If you've had this problem please report it as it gives your ISP more leverage over Eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The IOL dns servers seem a bit flaky - a few times over the last few nights they've stopped responding for about 10 minutes at a time. Other than that, its been fine for me. (IOL shared with housemates at college, UTV at home at the weekends - both have been fine for ages)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 amp2000

I'm having intermittent problems with iolbb for the past 2 weeks or so, I'm also in Navan :(

• Registered Users Posts: 35 hewlett

I am in the Kildare area (045) and have had no dsl connection either last night or today. I am currently logged on using my old analogue connection.

Now I remember why I upgraded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i'm in dub and they keep kicking me every so often (once or twice a day).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭NocturnalDonkey

Its finally working again here in Kildare town.

I was on to Eircom earlier and they said that they were swapping out a "Card" and it should be up and running at around 7. It started working now at 8:30. Hopefully thats the end of the problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

I didn't get around to mailing IOL because since Friday my connection has been up and running again without any problems, I will email them today just so its on record in case it starts acting up again, but from what people sad here it looks like our good friend eircom could have been the source of the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 buck rogers

dub45 wrote:
    I see you are in Navan - from other posts here it seems that there is an exchange problem in the 04 area which is affecting bb users in the area no matter which ISP you are with. Below is a quote from a post from a Clicksilver user. Might be worth trying to find out if that is whats affecting you.
    Hello everyone,
    I'm a click silver subscriber and I've been without net access since weds eve last. (getting Error codes 31 and 629)
    I called UTV daily for explanations/updates. Apparently the issue was at the "Exchange level". Today (mon. 4/oct) I was told the issue has been rectified by Eircom and that I should now reinstall my modem.
    The Tech. support guy I spoke with sounded confident this would solve the issue. Has anyone tried this yet? Please let me know the result. I am still a bit sceptical.
    cheers.

bigi bigi bigi...........what's up Buck??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

It appears to be. I've not been getting "the damned internet doesn't work anymore" calls from home since last night sometime.

You may as well try. The worst that can happen is that you won't be able to get connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Rob C

Sorry Buck Rogers, I'm Clicksilver as well, on the Sandyford exchange and I was told it had been rectified. But I reinstalled the modem and still nothing....

The same old error message you're getting.

Bloody hell, this is annoying :(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 buck rogers

Hey rob c.
    I called UTV for almost 2 hours yesterday evening. eventually got a tech. support rep. this morning. they say that eircom are "still working on the issue" - despite them telling me the day before that the issue had been resolved. a friend in stepaside told me last night they were back on line. I uninstalled and reinstalled my modem last night - as recommended by utv - (although i fail to see how that would help!) but alas..nothing. still two lights on my zyxel, and error 31 and 629.........utv say they are pressuring eircom to sort it out...............tomorrow will mark a week without access. :mad:
    it feels like 1904 not 2004.

Buck!

Rob C wrote:
    Sorry Buck Rogers, I'm Clicksilver as well, on the Sandyford exchange and I was told it had been rectified. But I reinstalled the modem and still nothing....

The same old error message you're getting.

Bloody hell, this is annoying :(:(

Advertisement