Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cynical Foreign films...

• 01-10-2004 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

I just saw 'The road home' in the IFI this week and although I actually liked the film, especially the actress who gave an absoltely breathtaking performance, I couldn't help but feel as if I'd been taken for a little bit of a ride.
    There seems to be hatfuls of these types of foreign films washing up here in the philistine west these days. The one about the two brother tigers, or about the weeping camel or countless other examples. What I'm talking about is a particular formula to enchant western audiences. Using staple techniques like strong vibrant colours, especially red, a haunting, tear jerking soundtrack, vast lingering panoramic shots to show the amazing landscape, detailed attention to the preparation of food, a certain innocence in the characters. Of course non of these elements are bad in themselves, it's just that it seems to me to smack of a kind of cynicism to simply run through them all once again. What it does is pigeonhole film like 'the road home' as acceptable alternative to the trash from America, which means it almost has a kind of moral highground from the off. nOt to say these are bad films but there seems relatively little innovation, freshness or real film making creativity about them . maybe I'm just being a bastard and grouping completely different films together that don't deserve it, but I'm beginning to feel kinda ticked off about it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Loretta.

I couldnt agree with you more!
    I definately feel the irish r bein made look like fools just cause we have decided we wanna be all artsy fartsy and unfortunately the IFI are the main offenders..
    dont get me wrong,i have seen some amazing movies there but lately i feel they r throwin alot of crap at us.
    just cuz a movie has a nice foreign-film label on it then we all wouldnt dare criticise it:

namely.........the weeping camel!!

utterly pointless movie.

If i had of taken a camera to the fields and recorded mammy and baby cow not gettin along and thrown in a few country kids lost in the big city, and sent it to Mongolia, something makes me think they wont think its a great movie...

*all comments to the contrary accepted ;) *

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

There seems to be hatfuls of these types of foreign films washing up here in the philistine west these days. The one about the two brother tigers, or about the weeping camel or countless other examples.

You'll probably want to give a few more examples. Those 2 are ridiculous. The Story of the Weeping Camel is German and Two Brothers is French. Are they not part of the west?

And to defend in part some of these films, of which I've seen a few, I'm not really sure who you are attacking. Is it the (I presume you meant asian) film makers themselves? This is obviously a silly attack as only a tiny percentage of films made in asia travel this far. They make them for their own market and have to live or die by that market.

I presume then your attack should be aimed at the people in the IFI who select what films to show there. If so, then I'd imagine they'd be very open to receiving any advice about better movies that they should be showing.

Advertisement