Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird, annoying Windows XP problem

Options
  • 01-10-2004 12:33pm
    Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This started happening recently - I'm playing a game and the bloody thing minimises for no reason at all. Its bloody annoying and happens randomly. Twice last night in the space of 10 minutes. Maybe wouldn't happen then for about 40 minutes. Anyone know what this could be.

Off the top of my head, it may have started around the time I installed a game that use Starforce, which I heard can cause instability.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Did you search for spyware, viruses etc.?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Yeah, I've blitzed them with Spy Sweeper, which seems quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Does it only happen with one game?

What game are you having problems with?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

No, a few of them. I presume it would happen with all of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭MazdaMan

Sounds like a program is starting up and stealing focus. Try the following to check what may be autoloading.

Start - Run - type MSConfig, click on the Startup tab and deselect the items that look like possible culprits. By process of elimination maybe only uncheck a couple of items at a time then restart the PC each time until you find the item possibly causinmg the issue.

Then click on the Processes tab put a tick in the box that say "Hide all Microsoft Services" then deselect any items that are left that you think may be causing the issue. These will be third party programs that are autoloading with windows.

In the event that items you require to run cause a problem, merely go back into MSConfig to re-enable the items.

Also disable the Screensaver and any power options that maybe causing windows to interfere with the games.

YOu may want to run Spybot as well, this I find is better at finding spyware

• Advertisement

Thanks for that - I'll give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

Had a similar problem before while using alternative shell to windows (Aston Shell) and UT2004, never did sorted it, but didn't care as it only happened once, andwhen put back it didn't happen again.

Advertisement