Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Command Prompt Problems

Options
  • 01-10-2004 12:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

Hello
    When I am programming in JAVA or wish to see Tomcats enviromental variables, the command prompt window opens up for only a second and then disappears, eg I only see the output for a second, then the command window disappears. I realise I could just navigate to the directory and run from there, but is there a setting in Windows that allows you to leave the command window open so I could actually see what is going on? I can't remember this happening in Windows 98, I'm using XP Pro.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Press START-Run

type cmd.exe and hit enter.

Or select command prompt, but I forget where it is.

W98 had an option to leave the command prompt open (might of been default?).

Another option is to run the program by doing..

cmd.exe /k myprog.exe

This will run it in the command line and leave the command line open.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

That's annoying alright .. often happens to me when I've a web.xml errorr... so my solution is ...
    • Edit catalina.bat in your %TOMCAT_HOME%/bin directory.
    • Look for the line ":doStart" (140 ish in my TC 5 version), and just below that you'll see an "Windows_NT" check. If you are using Win XP/2000/NT, then change the line following that "Windows_NT" line from "set _EXECJAVA=start "Tomcat" %_RUNJAVA%
      " to "set _EXECJAVA=%_RUNJAVA%", and save. If you're using Windows 9x, then remove the "start" from the line below ":noTitle".
    • Save the file
    • Using a command box/DOS prompt, navigate to the bin directory and run the startup.bat

HTH
    .cg

Advertisement