Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our President - Here for another 7 years

Options
  • 01-10-2004 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

Fair or not?
    Ms McAleese was able to nominate herslef unopposed today and got herself another 7 years as president. Now dont get me wrong i see no problem in having her as president but is it not fair that others who wished to challange her could not because stupid councilers (as we all know they are) did not sign their papers for the nominee.

I thought we lived in a democracy!!!

BTW- I nominate myself for the position if yall dont mind terribly....great perks to the job!!
    Gibo

link

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Dont worry in 7 years we will have an election, Dana should still be about, Ronan Keating should be free also....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Fair, perhaps not, but constitutionally legal.

But that said, had Dana gotten up off her arse earlier she might just have secured the nomination. She knew for seven years that the President's term would expire this year.

Finally, you thought wrong. We live in a Democratic Republic. Difference is, "we don't make the decisions, we decide who makes them for us" (Jed Bartlett - The West Wing).

Incidentially, am I the only one who thought Dana looked fit to cry after it was announced?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

Incidentially, am I the only one who thought Dana looked fit to cry after it was announced?
    To quote the Simpsons: "Hah! Where's your Messiah now?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

daveirl wrote:

And as things stand today, with the two most likely candidates being Bertie Ahern and Brian Crowley, you could well be correct. Imagine, if Bertie takes the presidency at that stage (november 2011) he will most likely remain as president until 2025.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

What about the fact that both Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael supported her presidency? Methinks that even if she had to get 20 signatures from tds and senators she would have little trouble getting them. For that reason I'm not bothered that she could nominate herself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Rezmuter Duane

The re-election of Mary McAleese was the result of a lack of credible opposition, or rather a recognition by all other political parties that Fianna Fail's Mary McAleese would trounce them. You can moan all you want about a lack of democracy but at the end of the day FF. didn't challenge their own incumbent. The blame surely rests with the other parties for not putting forward candidates. Even if they were too scared to put forward their own candidate, they could have supported Dana. Yet Fine Gael issued a party whip opposing Dana, when FG councillors wanted to support her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

If people wanted Dana to run then couldn't they have contacted their local councillor and asked for him to support her? I personally don't think she would have won the election though if she had got the chance. I also can't see bertie going for it a seven years time, I'm sure he would have more lucrative offers elsewhere.
    At least some of the FG councillors decided what was best to do instead of listening to the morons who control their party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Rezmuter Duane

At least some of the FG councillors decided what was best to do instead of listening to the morons who control their party.

Hear Hear

If only the rest of the Fine Gael party had the backbone to oppose the whip and give Dana a nomination.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭emertoff

Two seven-year terms reflects a bygone era when the county needed political stability and the job was a retirement home for long-serving politicians. Makes much more sense to have 2 terms of four or five years.
    14 years is too long for any politician in this day and age, be it in government or as President.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭arcadegame2004

I have always felt that the ability to prevent an election taking place for an originally elective office is unfair, but it's hardly a catastrophe in this case, considering the extremely minor powers the office entails.

Advertisement