Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL Cap cutoff madness !

• 01-10-2004 4:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭

Ok so here's the thing as they say ...

I think I've been shut down for going over my cap by IOL but they can't tell me if I have ?? The "tech" guy says he can't tell me the status of my account but he did notice that I was over my cap....which is another story. Am still on the free trial however I did tell them at time of sign up to put me down for the 16g package as that was what I would be using going forward. But I am told that a) I can only have the 8g package and not the 16g on free trial and b) the 8g is actually 4g up and 4g down !! ( I'm sure that i read on boards that this was 8g up and 8g down but not transferable either way )

Any ways the genius at IOL said to wait until the new month start (today) and my connection should be back on ....if indeed it was cut off .... which he wasn't sure about.

Guys come on get your sh*t together.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

Odd that they can't tell you alright. AFAIK the only DSL cap that doesn't add the up and downloads is the UTV one where the upload is unlimited. Now if they were to switch that around... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

istep wrote:

I think I've been shut down for going over my cap by IOL but they can't tell me if I have ?? The "tech" guy says he can't tell me the status of my account but he did notice that I was over my cap....which is another story. Am still on the free trial however I did tell them at time of sign up to put me down for the 16g package as that was what I would be using going forward. But I am told that a) I can only have the 8g package and not the 16g on free trial and b) the 8g is actually 4g up and 4g down !! ( I'm sure that i read on boards that this was 8g up and 8g down but not transferable either way )

Any ways the genius at IOL said to wait until the new month start (today) and my connection should be back on ....if indeed it was cut off .... which he wasn't sure about.

You can check the status of your own account - you don't have to be on your IOL connection to log in to http://broadband.iol.ie/usage - you just need your IOl username and password.

The IOL FAQs for IOL Broadband Plus are quite explicit that it's 16G up and 16G down, but the FAQ for IOL Broadband (the 8G version) aren't as explicit, but there are hundreds of people here who must have gone over a combined 8G who can tell you whether it's 8G up and 8G down, or 8 total.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

istep wrote:

I think I've been shut down for going over my cap by IOL but they can't tell me if I have ?? The "tech" guy says he can't tell me the status of my account but he did notice that I was over my cap....which is another story.

You probably have been, and he should have been able to tell you, maybe he just didn't want the inevitable abuse that would follow!
    Am still on the free trial however I did tell them at time of sign up to put me down for the 16g package as that was what I would be using going forward. But I am told that a) I can only have the 8g package and not the 16g on free trial

You should have been able to sign up for whichever package you wanted and then decide at the end, by default you would have been set up on the lower package though. Maybe they will only allow the lower end package because if you then decided to downgrade at the end of the trial they would have to pay a fee for it..
    and b) the 8g is actually 4g up and 4g down !! ( I'm sure that i read on boards that this was 8g up and 8g down but not transferable either way )

It's 8 in either direction, you could have 7.99 in both directions and not get cut off, or have 1Gb upload and 8.5Gb download and get cut off or vice versa

The system resets at the beginning of the month so you should have been able to connect since early this morning...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i've got the 16gb package which I've just finished my first month of.

i signed up for the combined phone and internet pack though, so i don't know if that makes a difference.

scraped in under the cap by about 100meg too, although there was a while there where i thought i'd be stuck.

would be interesting to know how much over you'd have to go before they cut you off. surely the sensible thing to do would be to just throttle your bandwidth once you're within say 100meg of the cap and go from there. the only problems i've had are the odd disconnection but a reboot of the modem and pc seems to fix that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭huh!

I went 4 gigs over mine this month :o no cut or throttling on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭peeko

I think I went over my download limit aswell, but nothing has happened. Only by a gig though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

Im on ESAT and am constantly over my cap.. they dont seem to be charging for it though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Borris

I know people on the IOL broadband trial, who are clearing 26Gb download, with no charge, and no cut off. There trial is almost up, and they have a combined upload and download of 100Gb.
    they will be able to give you what you have downloaded, they will do it the same way you can lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

I don't think they have a bill system set up for people who go over their caps after the first few times i went over i thought i'd be carfull but seening as no extra bill are arriving i've just been going mad. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Umm... post came up twice.

See below. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

I'm thinking of asking for a rebate! :rolleyes:

First Login Wed Dec 10 14:46:28 2003
    Last Login Sun Oct 3 06:23:45 2004
    Last Login Duration 1440 minutes
    Logins 1068
    Offpeak Traffic 229066 minutes
    Peak Traffic 95703 minutes
    Data uploaded 1.99 GB [2141151377 bytes]
    Data downloaded 7.08 GB [7597201078 bytes]

I think that generally, they set limits in order to be able to allow everyone a fair share. The fact that a lot of people, like myself don't download a lot, allows others to take up the slack so to speak. If it ever got to the point where nearly everyone was reaching the limit, then I think they would start charging more people for going over. IMO.

Advertisement