Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mIRC on Computers.

Options
  • 01-10-2004 5:07pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I downloaded it. Saved it to my H drive. Opened it. BUT IT WONT CONNECT.

Is Quakenet the right server to using? It's what I use at home, so I figured it'd work here. I'm in QG31. Is there a block on it or something??

I neeeeed a chat.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Not a DCUer myself, but it sounds likely that you admins have the ports closed. In fact, its common practice in a lot of places to close all ports except authorized ones like 80, etc.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

But the other lads in DCU can chat on these computers.

Thank you though.

BUt then again...maybe it's just certain labs or whatever..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

it should work Jesjes. port 6667 isn't blocked from dcu.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I try through Random Quakenet server...and this happens:

* Connecting to irc.quakenet.org (6667)
    -
    * Unable to connect to server (Connection timed out)
    -
    * Connect retry #1 193.120.201.111 (6667)

Tis annoying.

Maybe I'm just doomed to never chat again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Lantis

Try going into the Firewall options and setting a Server Proxy to proxy3@dcu.ie.

• Advertisement

oh yea you have to change the firewall settings.

open up options, go to the firewall option, change firewall support to "both" and put "proxy1.dcu.ie" in the hostname option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭adjodlo

get ready for G-LINERAMA!!

adjodlo wrote:
    get ready for G-LINERAMA!!
    dcu has a trust on quakenet.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Is it not proxy3.dcu.ie ....as opposed to proxy3@dcu.ie. Thas what it was last year anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

its proxy3.dcu.ie
    i think proxy2.dcu.ie might work as well, but proxy.dcu.ie definitely doesnt :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

So can anyone provide info on how to access game servers over the DCU network? from postgrad res.

Thanks for the help lads. If it doesn't work I'll be back on monday to let ye all know!

So can anyone provide info on how to access game servers over the DCU network? from postgrad res.

As far as I know, only people within regular res can see each other's gaming servers. Go to the quakenet irc channel tho and someone will set one up to see if you can get at it. What subnet is Postgrad res on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

dregin wrote:
    As far as I know, only people within regular res can see each other's gaming servers. Go to the quakenet irc channel tho and someone will set one up to see if you can get at it. What subnet is Postgrad res on?

Sorry I don't even know what a subnet is.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=subnet ;)

If you're using windows press the windows key and R.
    The run dialogue shud come up. Type in ipconfig and press enter.

Your IP should come up. the first 3 part of it are your subnet eg. 136.206.149.123 >> subnet = 136.206.249

Anyway, if ya join #DCU on quakenet someone will be there to step you through it.

phreak wrote:
    oh yea you have to change the firewall settings.

open up options, go to the firewall option, change firewall support to "both" and put "proxy1.dcu.ie" in the hostname option.

I can manage, all on my own now, control panel>internet options> BUT I can't find firewall stuff. THough I did find this:

Is that any good to me?

Tis really annoying....

Change them in mIRC's options...not the control panel.

Hahahaha....opps. Fanx.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

http://proxy.dcu.ie/

all you need to know

I got it workin, and with some legends in CA [TheDara] I even have it on on the guest account in CA labs. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭digiman

I followed all the instructions given earlier. When I try to connect it says

"Too many clones from your host."

How can I get connected to this. Is it easy to download stuff using mirc?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

join redbrick, you're better off learning how to use their stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭digiman

I did join redbrick this year. Still havn't got connected!

Advertisement