Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea - Liverpool Before/during/after (may contain goals).

• 01-10-2004 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

So its only about 47 hours to the big game this weekend! Can a confused Liverpool match or beat the mighty (dullish) Chelsea? Clearly Mourinhos' side are clicking together somewhat better than Benitezs'. The Spaniard seems hell bent on this zonal marking lark, I fear it could be the difference esp if Duff is playing and getting in good crosses/corner balls.

I'll go for a home win by a goal :(

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

I dont know if this zonal marking thing will work. I hope liverpool get a result. Chelski are very boooooooring. I think duff will get about 60 mins and then subbed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

it will be esp tough on sunday against chelsea.But u never know.Eventually benitez will get it right.Its interesting to note michael owen is now seems to regret moving to madrid where he cannt get a place in the team now esp after rauls wondershow juring the week.Would liverpool take him back on a cut price deal or here wait will he go to man city as thats where previos liverpool players have went.Call me sentimental but i wouldnt mind robbie fowler back as he hast lost his way since he left liverpool 3 years ago.He is still GOD.On a final note hope we dont get stuffed on sunday, if we keep it tight who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I have fifty on the pool to win at fives, not a bad bet for a footy match, I won 350 on the game last year, hopefully the pool will pull a win out, playing like they did v Monaco and I think we will win, play like we did v Bolton and we will be hockeyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The next person who says zonal marking will be shot! God christ talk about latching onto buzz words!!

Chelsea will win however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Im going to go for a 0-0. But thats my heart thinking. I dont bet on Liverpool anymore because I never go with what I actually think (which is prob 1 or 2 nil Chelsea).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I would like Liverpool win for obvious reasons but I don't think they will breakdown the Chelsea defence. On the other hand Liverpools defence has been pretty shaky of late and I can't see them denying the Chelsea attack.

2 0 to Chelsea for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

Chelsea have to be favourites in this game given Liverpool's poor form away from home. Unless there has been some serious work done on set piece defending on the training ground they'll probably concede more goals with Drogba set to take advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Liverpool have a pretty poor record at The Bridge, I'm going for 2-0 Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Liverpool to win 1-0, goal in the 90th minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

p.pete wrote:
    Liverpool to win 1-0, goal in the 90th minute.

But Smicer is'nt playing!

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

can't see liverpool getting anything out of this, we've been great at home and poor away, and its chelsea. home win i think, prolly only a goal in it tho. at least we haven't dropped any silly points in the league so far, losing at old trafford and losing at bolton (who took points off UTD and Arsenal as well) ain't too bad.

My fave game in the past few years was the thrilling 2-2 encounter in 95 when little Johnny Spencer got a brace as did McManaman I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

3-0 Chelsea. KTBFFH.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

KTBFFH? What does that mean?

I'm gonna be more optimistic with a 1-1 draw :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

keep the blue flag flying high

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Some good news for Liverpool fans. Dudek (the guy rooted to the goal line with the lookk of a rabbit in a cars headlights) might be dropped in favour of kirkland. Perhpas we have patched kirkland together enough for him to last a few games.

irishgeo wrote:
    Perhpas we have patched kirkland together enough for him to last a few games.
    He's already lasted several reserve games (hopefully not due an injury now!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

the sort of game i enjoy to watch not really caring what way it goes but then it turns out to be a dull nil all or similar.

chelsea play like liverpool did up to recently and liverpool are playing like chelsea did under ranieri, good when everyones on form but inconsistent and throw away stupid points.

im going for a liverpool win, id love to see a murinho interview after losing a big match. 1-2 liverpool

Kirkland, Traore, Kewell, Diao, Cisse all start. Baros on the bench as is Hamann.

Chelsea
    Cech , Ferreira , Terry , Carvalho , Gallas , Makelele , Smertin , Lampard , Duff , Drogba , Gudjohnsen
    Subs: Cole , Geremi , Cudicini , Huth , Tiago

Liverpool
    Kirkland , Josemi , Hyypia , Carragher , Traore , Alonso , Diao , Riise , Kewell , Garcia , Cisse
    Subs: Dudek , Finnan , Baros , Hamann , Warnock

Mike.

Duffer has gotten man of the match I think, the pool have failed once again to score away from home, they had as many shots on target as Chelsea but not the penetration. Why Alonso is still taking free kicks after the four that were complete pants he has taken today is beyond me.

Liverpool finish the day in the bottom half of the league, game in hand would bring them back to fourth but that game is a long way off yet.

• Advertisement

Sigh :(

The way Benitiez set up Pool could have been the work of Houllier.

All defence.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

what was the final score guys?

1-0

Mike.

Sorry, Cole got man of the match, thought I heard them announce Duffer on the telly but must have his-heard.

I thought the team would suffer when Drogs went off injured, a lovely goal by J Cole. Another 3 points in the bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

*sighs* :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

One of the worst games I've had the misfortune of watching.
    Chelsea are as boring as Liverpool.
    Shocking game.

Wouldn't go that far, Soton Vs City was dismal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Liverpool made some good work in the approach, really had Chelsea stretching to cope, which is more of a compliment that it seems, as only Southampton have scored against them this season. In fairness, I thought it was a good enough game, juat because both defences are doing their job and limiting chances, doesn't mean it's a dull game. Not that it was a classic or anything. Liverpool probably missed Gerrard for a penetrative pass in the final third, or a run through the centre, but I dodn't think they missed him in a defensive capacity.

• Advertisement

Another excellent performance from Ferreria, reminding me so much of Chappie Ferrer in his prime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

typical boring big game. chelsea are killing off the neutrals with their safety first approach but you gotta hand it to them because they keep nicking 1,2 nil wins.

ultimately, i reckon their 'holding back' approach will cost them, their like a porsche 911 doing 30 in a 40 zone. if you got, flaunt it, just like arsenal, play to your strengths.

with liverpool, defeats to chelsea, utd, olympiacos all within a couple of weeks.... that will damage morale and give benitez and early stumbling block. liverpool have yet to catch the big 3 despite what people might think, the past few weeks has proved that. 3 defeats in 7 games is a poor return and 4th place standard. the spanish revolution is beginning to look like the french one....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

smemon wrote:
    with liverpool, defeats to chelsea, utd, olympiacos all within a couple of weeks.... that will damage morale and give benitez and early stumbling block. liverpool have yet to catch the big 3 despite what people might think, the past few weeks has proved that. 3 defeats in 7 games is a poor return and 4th place standard. the spanish revolution is beginning to look like the french one....

Well if they win their game in hand they go into 4th. Not a great start but they are still not doing too bad, I would also expect further signings in January.

As regards Chelsea, 7 clean sheets in 8 league games is brilliant. The team that wins the league always has one of the best defenses in the league and not necessarily the flashiest attack. I dont remember Kevin Keegans teams winning too many league titles. But while Im not sure if they will be able to pass Arsenal I think their style could be very good in the Champions League. They are not going to be an easy team to beat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Shocking shocking performance..

I am that pissed off I cant even start to bother picking holes in Smemon's post, never mind the porsche thing :/

I don't mind losing to Chelsea away - lets face it they're hard to beat at the best of times and they didn't embarass us. We embarassed ourselves though by not competing and failing to even threaten to get anything out of the game.

I agree with Thanx 4 The Fish - Alonso free kicks were terrible. You knew every time it was going to be overhit. I think he's a good striker of the ball and they'll improve but I would have rathered Danny Murphy out there yesterday. Overall the midfield was lightweight.

Playing against a top 3 team we didn't look like we belong in that bracket yet. Luckily there is a large gulf after the top 3 so maybe it was the performance of a top 5 team but I'll be expecting more...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

Liverpool were very frustrating yesterday, they just didn't seem to have any urgency about them and they never really threatened Chech's goal. I'm starting to doubt Cisse now as well tbh, he just doesn't look arsed sometimes. I knew this season would be frustrating at times due to the new setup, but I think come January there'll be another couple of signings and they'll finish the season strongly (fingers crossed :confused:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Liverpool were complete sh1t, I don't think Alonso put in one decent cross!

Advertisement