Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting a Belkin Wireless Modem to IOL Broadband

• 01-10-2004 6:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭

Hey,

One of the guys I'm living with picked up a Belkin Wireless Router / Firewall [Sorry, don't have exact model, will post up later if I can] to connect up to IOL Broadband with. Our IOL Account has gone live and I have entered the settings into the Router, but it doesn't seem to connect.

I burnt the connection log onto CD last night but naturally forgot to bring it in to work today so I can't post it up. I'll do that at the weekend if I don't sort it our in the meantime.

I'm pretty sure my settings are correct:

VPI/VCI: 8 / 35
    MTU: 1492
    Encapsulation: LLC
    Username & Password work in the Usage Calculator on IOL Site and just confirmed them with Tech Support

The only thing I can't select is authentication type. I know this should be CHAP, and what has me a bit worried is the last router I had, the default authentiaction was PAP. Could this be the source of the problem? Has anyone else connected to IOL, Eircom or Netsource with a Belkin before?

I had a Zyxel modem before where I could telnet into it and get much more advanced settings so I'll try that later on tonight.

Any comments or suggestions that I can take home with me tonight would be mucho appreciated :)

Serb

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Change your enscapulation to PPPoE LLC and see if that works,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

The Encapsulation already is PPPoE LLC, forgot to mention that. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Serb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 silverhair

Serbian wrote:
    The Encapsulation already is PPPoE LLC, forgot to mention that. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Serb

Likewise trying to install the above on an IOL broadband connection which worked fine with the ZyXEL modem shipped with it, but cant get connected to the internet with the Belkin. All settings and connections seem OK: any one out there sucessfully connected one of these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭peeko

Damn folks, having the same problem here. Any help would be great. Having exact same probs as you serbian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

Sounds like an authentication incompatibility between that specific router and IOLs authentication process.I had a similar problem with Netsource switching from PAP to CHAP and the router couldn't handle it...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭peeko

OK I have it working, here's what I did.
    - Turned off the windows firewall
    - Reset the Modem (the little button on the back)
    - Reset the Factory Defaults on the config screen for the modem
    - Went to Belkin's site and downloaded the latest firmware. Updated that in the settngs of the router
    - Went through the wizard again (try user name with and without @iolbb)
    - This time it worked the treat, straight away I had connection

Here is a pic of how the config screen looked. Best of luck folks

Advertisement