Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who would you vote for?

• 02-10-2004 1:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭

In the American presidential election??

Personally I'd vote for Kerry based on his NOrth Korean policy and general lack of bloodthirsty-ness.

Who would you vote for? 99 votes

John Kerry
    1% 1 vote
    George Bush
    98% 98 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

eh... Ralph Nader?

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

eh... Ralph Nader?

Ok I forgot about Ralphy but come on its between these two guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Zaphon Beeblebrox for President! Now there's a frood who knows where his heads are at.

Seriously though, having seen the massive anti-Bush sentiment that swamped the boards this year, I think this poll is really a fore-gone conclusion...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Penfolds

I was just flicking round the TV and found the US presidental debate on ITV news.
    Kerry came across as very professional with what seemed like a lot of good arguments (such as doing something practical to aid the situation in Sudan) whereas Dubya just looked smug (nothing new there I suppose).

There was a poll taken recently of all the top Investment fund managers in the world by some american bank and around 65 percent of the international managers said they'd prefer to see Kerry elected whereas the US managers were around the same percentage in favour of Bush.

I'm sure his Daddy and his daddy's mates can swing this election for Dubya aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

If I have to choose between the two, I'd rather vote for the one who isn't less smart than a baboon's butt.

• Advertisement

Penfolds wrote:
    I was just flicking round the TV and found the US presidental debate on ITV news.
    Kerry came across as very professional with what seemed like a lot of good arguments (such as doing something practical to aid the situation in Sudan) whereas Dubya just looked smug (nothing new there I suppose).

Not to mention stuttered like someone talking in public for the first time, and avoided the question any chance he got. I still can't believe how badly he handled the question regarding nuclear proliferation...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Kêrmêttê

Zaphon Beeblebrox for President! Now there's a frood who knows where his heads are at.

It's Zaphod Beeblebrox ya big eejit! :p
    A cool hoopy frood who knows where his towel is.

I personally wouldn't vote for any of those guys... mainly because I'm not a US national :D

It's Zaphod Beeblebrox ya big eejit! :p
    A cool hoopy frood who knows where his towel is.

I personally wouldn't vote for any of those guys... mainly because I'm not a US national :D
    He he he... Of course you're quite correct... Just pretty tired right now, been up since 7.20... Forgive me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Ok I forgot about Ralphy but come on its between these two guys.
    Regardless... I'd still vote for Nader.

And in fact it's probably a better thing if Bush stays in. He's an idiot and not subtle in any way. He makes the problems of US foreign policy very obvious to the rest of the world.

The democrats certainly won't be revamping US foreign policy, they'll just do a better job of not making themselves look like idiots.

Thing is if Bush stays in power, he'll looks for more wars to fight to help his buddies in the arms business who give him lots of campaign money.

He won't go to Korea as there's no oil there and he might actually realise how stupid it could be to annoy the Chinese.

He may head to Iran next, or Syria but then they'd both probably both turn into another ****-storm.

So where else could he invade, I mean "liberate".....Hang on there's lots of Oil off Rockall and we've no army to speak of to put up much of a fight.....and we've lot been referred to as the 51st state, so maybe he'll just invade Ireland ! (I know technically the british claim rockall, but he'll bide his time until Tony gives it back to Bertie, after all the british have an army and would fight back).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

meh. I voted kerry. Doesnt seem as big an assh*le as bush. im sure he is though, i mean, hes a politician.

as for the Zaphod beeblebrox thing, im SO glad i read HHGTTG. open up so many jokes for me. the towel. oh MUHAHHAHHAH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,561 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i would vote kerry. I dont trust bush. Whose fault is it that all the hostages in Iraq are been killed. Bush and his croonies.

He will buy his way back again i bet. Thank God he cant run a third time of he could do what FIFA president Sepp Blatter is doing and that is chnage the rules so he can becoe FIFA president a 3rd time. Dubya to try the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 lizbeth

In 2000, I preferred Bush over Gore and I can't even remember why now! I decided shortly after the Invasion of Iraq that there was no way on Earth I could vote for him in the next election. I tried watching the debate, and its an involuntary reflex, I just tune him out. Bad reaction, cos who knows what gems I'm missing! My favourite quote of his last nite, was actually "In my judgement". I was laughing and missed exactly what his judgement even was!
    My vote will be for Kerry. I wish there were a better Democratic candidate, but I'm mostly voting against Bush, so I'll go with Kerry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

I voted for Kerry.

George Bush is just a fooker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I voted for kerry because all george bush has done is invade other countries since he got into power. At least with bill clinton who is in the same party as kerry made an effore to make peace between other countries rather than tear the world apard.

I really hope the african-american population of the US make bush pay for what happened in florida last time around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

I voted Kerry too ... My brain just won't let me vote for a complete Gob-Sh!te

Realistically though, if Dubya gets in again the US has to be heading for a major financial meltdown, because there's only so much money that you can siphon from health etc. to fund the military effort before there is all out mutiny!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

As far as I'm concerned,the whole Iraq & Afghan issue is more about the need to have a war to vindicate his presidency rather than a war on terror ... Reagan had the Cold War, Bush snr had the Gulfwar Part1 & Clinton had Serbia ... plus as said before, he needs to repay all the funding he got from defence contractors!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

w00t! Zaphod Beeblebrox ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I voted for the one who can speak properly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Puppet on the left, puppet on the right. One guying holding up both etc.

I voted for Kerry because he was on Cheers once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

how could any educated person vote for Bush?? It's shocking how he came to power and shocking what he has done since coming to power

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I'd vote for Kerry because he is isn't George Bush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Doper Than U

I'd vote for Kerry, no question. Voting for anyone else is the same as voting for Bush, as he'll probably manage to find a way to steal their votes... I don't have any particular love for Kerry, but at least he can construct a coherent, lucid speech. Point is, taking votes away from Kerry by voting for an independant will only make it easier for Bush to get in. Ordinarily I wouldn't do that, but I think we all know that Bush has got to go, at all costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

hey looki there, I'm 1 of the 4 people to vote for Bush :)

cant stand kerry.

as bad as Bush may be, at least I'd feel safer living in america with him in charge than kerry.

did you know that kerry's wife's company has more jobs outside the US than inside?
    wtf sort of message is that to send to people?

tbh, a lot of the arguments against bush are just personal opinions and attacks on him.

good fucking thing you dont get to vote. I mean, look who we have in government again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

see my sig

the best democracy money can buy.

did you know that kerry's wife's company has more jobs outside the US than inside?

Did you know that Bush's wife killed two people while driving drunk and didn't spend a day in prison for it? wtf sort of message does that send?

Edited to say I can't find the source for that *tears out hair* but I'll keep looking.

Edited to say that one of the occupants of the other vehicles was Laura's then boyfriend. How sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Kaimera wrote:

cant stand kerry.

as bad as Bush may be, at least I'd feel safer living in america with him in charge than kerry.

tbh, a lot of the arguments against bush are just personal opinions and attacks on him.

good fucking thing you dont get to vote. I mean, look who we have in government again

Eh how else do u base a vote other than on personal opinion? Oddly enough I'm not a politically minded person as such. My view is all politicians are as bad as each other and life continues in roughly the same way regardless of who is in control but in bushs case I make an exception. Can you explain why you would prefer Bush over Kerry unless your only reason is because Kerry has a wife who doesn't employ many Americans?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

Kaimera wrote:

cant stand kerry.

How can you feel safer when Bush is sending troops all over the place and enraging as many muslims as he possibly can??
    They are just waiting for a chance to get America back. Of course he has brainwashed you into thinking that unless he is in power waging war against everyone and anyone you will not be safe.
    This is opposed to John Kerry who has the attitude of talking out problems with these governments. He wants to explain to the Iraqi people that they will not hang around afterwards taking their oil. This is against Bush who had the oil base guarded in Baghdad and not the Nuclear place???
    Kerry also wants to talk to the North Korean govt again so they can monitor what is going on in there. Bush of course has refused to talk to them and since then they are making more nuclear weapons than ever. Before that idiot came along there were inspectors and TV cameras allowed in. Also Kerry made the point that while Bush has been going around accusing everyone of building weapons of mass destruction, America itself has been developing nuclear weapons!!! Kerry vowed that he would shut this program down. And while it is good that Saddam is now locked up he was by no means a threat and it has also cost the American taxpayer 200 billion dollars!!!

How you would rather the idiot George Bush over the clearly more level-headed, loyal and intellectual John Kerry I will never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Tbh Ralph Nader.
    But if it helps get Bush out of the White House, it's gonna have to be Kerry.

Also, its worth saying that they caught Bin Laden a few weeks after 9/11 but were ordered to let him go because they (Bush and the Military) would never get the funding to go to war on Iraq. Bin Laden was taken to america, and stayed with Bush, while there he thanked him for getting his family out of america after 9/11.

There's alot more to this story, anyone who wants to know the full details can check the September edition of Vanity Fair magazine, with Reese Witherspoon on the front. The article was written by an american soldier who was there for the whole thing... I don't have the article (I read it in a doctors office) and would love to get a copy of it. If anyone has it, could they pm me about it?

How anyone can feel safe when a half witted, dictatorial oaf is in charge of weapons of mass destruction is beyond me.

"There ought to be limits to freedom" George W. Bush, May 1999.

Actually, what you said right underneath my first quote is pretty much what happened. They found him, were ordered not to take him, Bin Laden needed medical attention and gave them an ultimatum "take me to the US and give me medical attention or I'll announce to the world that you had me and let me go". So they took him and harboured him in a nice cushy house in America. They probably will "capture" him just before the election too... To be perfectly honest, this sounded so bloody far fetched to me I had to read the article three times, then I searched for disclaimer saying that it was all a big joke.. As I said, I am just paraphrasing the article from the Septmeber issue of Vanity Fair magazine.. I'm not here to make up conspiracy theories or anything of the sort. If I had the article I would post it. Hopefully somone will have it.

As to Bush being dictatorial, well let me put it like this, Bush got into presidency by lying, cheating and stealing. He went against the DEMOCRATIC decision made by the people of America to have Al Gore as president. Kerry, if he gets in, will have done so fairly. Also, its unfair to assume that Kerry will abuse his postion as Bush has done. Look at the difference between america when Clinton was president, and now, when Bush is President. They seem like two different countries. All Clinton did was get his d**k sucked.. Bush has knowingly killed thousands of innocent people. I'd have Clinton back in a shot... I couldn't care less about his personal life.

Perhaps another Bushism, just for fun "If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier...just so long as I'm the dictator."

Edited to note that it seems the US edition of Vanity Fair magazine did NOT run this article, and instead chose the topic of Bush vs Gore, the truth about the election. Not terribly surprised. America prizes freedom of speech above nearly all its doctrines, and yet they censor anything remotely threatening, eg Michael Moore's "Stupid White Men".

I'm reading a really good book at the moment called "House of Bush, House of Saud" which detail show close the US and Saudi's are.

Find it hard to believe that Bin Laden would actually request to go to the US for medical treatment...Imagine how many people would HAVE to know about that .....Pilots, secret service or whoever were protecting him, medical staff.....Can you not imagine one of these people trying to take a pop at him or accidentally giving him the wrong/ too much medication as pay back for the WTC disaster ??????? They'd be declared a bloody national hero in the US.

I do believe they'll suddenly capture him or some high ranking member before the election.

My best bush quote during the debate was when they talked about the US pulling out of the International Criminal Court, as he said that hedidn't believe in the idea of a court in the Hague that can charge US soldiers or diplomats with crimes.
    Meanwhile he has "illegal enemy combatanats" (about 700 now, apparently 10 of which are children) locked up in Guantamano Bay where they're not subject to the Genenva convention because they're technically not prisoners of war and they're not being held on US soil (even though they US have a l0ong term lease on that part of Cuba dpon't they ????) so don't have access to the US legal system.
    LoneGunM@n wrote:
    As far as I'm concerned,the whole Iraq & Afghan issue is more about the need to have a war to vindicate his presidency rather than a war on terror ... Reagan had the Cold War, Bush snr had the Gulfwar Part1 & Clinton had Serbia ... plus as said before, he needs to repay all the funding he got from defence contractors!

In defence of Clinton, I think he went in to Serbia as part of a UN task force acting to try and stop the genocide didn't he.
    Bush's main reason for invading Iraq was to finish off the war his Daddy started.

Of course Sadaam the monster was created by Bush Sr and Ronny reagan supplying him with arms through the Saudi's to win the Iran/Iraq war as they were afraid if Iran won then the hardline line muslims would seize control of the Gulf states and cut off the US access to cheap oil from the Saudis.
    And Guess who gave Osama lots of weapons and cash to fight those damn commies in Afghanistan...Yep Bush Sr again.

Isn't there some saying about the sins of the father coming back to haunt the son ?????

• Advertisement

Yup, I agree, I couldn't believe it either, and yet there it was... Vanity Fair is a respected magazine, and I'm really not trying to convince people one way or the other as to whether its true or not.. I'm just saying what I read. I was as incredulous as you.

I WILL find this article and post it (if that doesn't break the rules of the forum)... someone must have it somewhere...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Bush, George. He is the leader the United States needs at this time. He can fearlessly exploit the terror and uncertainty of the American populace to rape their freedoms and rights. He can shrewdly exploit the deficiency of the American people to asphyxiate it's already emaciated welfare system. He can cajole and enchant the American masses into acquiescing to his calls to re-animate Cold War weapon systems to act as bulwarks againts terrorist with ICBMs. He knows that as long as they are fed their daily dose of "Bread and Circuses" they will never denounce their decrepit education system. George Bush is a man who know what the American people want and how the American people work. They get along like a house on fire. Burn, Baby, Burn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Pigman II wrote:
    I voted for Kerry because he was on Cheers once.
    News to me. And true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Bring back Bill Clinton!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Commissar

Can anybody point me toward a link for the debate?
    I missed it on tv and I would like to watch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

check on the politics board for (broadban friendly)... type post.
    has the link there.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Commissar

Hobbes wrote:
    check on the politics board for (broadban friendly)... type post.
    has the link there.

Damn. Should have thought of that.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Divine

Bush is the leader of the Free World and he does what he has to do to keep it that way. A lot of **** gets caught up inbetween but still 78% of americans feel safe with Bush in office.

What is Kerry going to do against terrorism? What will he do against Iraq? You hear on the news about people dying in iraq every day, imagine what is was like before he sent in his troops? Teenagers with their hands cut off for taking opium, their whole life ahead of them with that handicap just for taking some stupid drug as a means of escaping hell for a few hours.

People complain about the deaths out there but yet no one apart from Ammensty and the likes really gave a **** about the deplorable conditions that people were forced to live in out there. Now the country is getting rebuilt, its on its way to progress except for a few old fashioned tyrants who are just brainwashed into their loathing of the west.

Imagine Kerry as the most powerful man in the world with people walking all over the little runt, id like to see what he'd do!

Make the right choice, Vote Bush!!!!! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Divine wrote:
    Bush is the leader of the Free World and he does what he has to do to keep it that way. A lot of **** gets caught up inbetween but still 78% of americans feel safe with Bush in office.

Where are you getting that 78% figure from? From what I have seen, it is more 50/50 if even that.
    What is Kerry going to do against terrorism? What will he do against Iraq?

Well if you watched the debate you would know wouldn't you. You can also read the plan on http://www.johnkerry.com/issues/
    You hear on the news about people dying in iraq every day, imagine what is was like before he sent in his troops?

Apart from Saddam being a loon, the country was more or less stable. You should dig out Salam Pax blog on Iraq before the war.
    Teenagers with their hands cut off for taking opium, their whole life ahead of them with that handicap just for taking some stupid drug as a means of escaping hell for a few hours.

You sure your not confusing it with Afganistan, where the Taliban killed drug dealers, while under the new leadership the drug dealers are allowed make a profit.
    Now the country is getting rebuilt, its on its way to progress except for a few old fashioned tyrants who are just brainwashed into their loathing of the west.

Progress?
    - Where a dozen or more people are killed a day?
    - Where it is not possible to have free elections?
    - Where all the rebuilding contracts are awarded to US companies only, in some instances over Iraq contracts which were cheaper.
    Imagine Kerry as the most powerful man in the world with people walking all over the little runt, id like to see what he'd do!

Walking over? Did you even watch the debate. For all the negative press Kerry gets from the US, the debate showed how much a commander in chief Kerry is, and how much of a complete doofus Bush is.

Go watch the uncut version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

they're both politicians... do you really think either of them have good intentions?!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Can I still vote for Herschelle Kristoffsky.

He is the man, . . . .and if not, then Kerryman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Here is a site you all might find interesting:

http://betavote.com/

It shows how people from other countries would vote on the US election and gives you a chance to cast yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭spoon

i would vote for a bag of sugar if it ran against bush

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Whats the bets Dana would have a chance at winning the US Elections if she could run?

• Advertisement
Advertisement