Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heatsink not sure what to do Help!!!

Options
  • 02-10-2004 9:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭

I have just built my pc and as usual I seem to have the best luck some of the stuff i wanted wasn't in stock and then when it would come in the other stuff would go out so as you can imagine I wasn't too happy.

Anyway I got the GlacialTech Igloo 2450 from Komplett.ie http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=119452&view=detailed and there is some pre-applied thermal paste on it and i am wondering what should i do i have some artic silver but I know ur not ment to mix thermal pastes so I was wondering what I should do if i should clean it and put artic silver on instead or leave it.

I will want to OC it eventually as it is only a athlon xp 2500+ but then again i am lazy so i am wondering.

If anyone can help me please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

You want some very pure alcohol to remove it properly. Above 90%.

Acetone does the trick as well but it's hard to get your hands on. Nail varnish remover has large amounts of acetone (90%) but I wouldn't use it as it has other things including oils in it.

The artic silver could drop load temps by as much as 5c over the stuff on it so if your planning on really pushing the processor then it's worth replacing.

If your only going to bring it up to 3200 speeds though there is no need.

BloodBath

Advertisement