Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wes Brown on way out?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Thats strange... I would have chose Giggs and Howard to be the next out the door. But there you go. Brown has been very unlucky with injuries for United. If he hadn't got them he could possibly be one of the best defenders in the premiership.

Only after reading that now... It seems that Brown's agent is looking to get Wes a free transfer so that he can get a huge signing on fee or whatever when he moves. I've got a feeling that he won't go until the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

I seriously doubt that, if he takes that stance, he will play much more this year. Fergie isnt one to take this sort of thing lightly.

Would be a decent signing for any potential suitors (Im looking at you Newcastle!) as he has shown that he can be a very capable player when he gets a good run, even though he is prone to the odd error!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Fergie doesnt feck about reckon ,hes just giving a sign or be gone ultimatum. Squad player or 1st team at middlesborough ??? Decisions decsions.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Yeah but Brown is definally not just a squad player, he competes for places.
    But Fergie is big into having the same back 4 week in week out.
    But if Ferdinand or Slyvestre get injured there is no other choice than Brown that can properly cover.
    Also Gary Neville is going to retire in two or three years I'd guess, Brown could fill that spot.

I like him, hope he doesn't go :/

Whats the story with Caroll?

• Advertisement

He's out of contract in the summer and is hesitating with signing his contract. He is more or less in the same position as Brown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Brown won't sign his new contract which is not much better than the one he has at the moment United are reluctant to offer him any better because the consider him to be injury prone. Its up to wes what he wants to do with his career but I hope he stays.

Roy Carroll has also refuesed to sign his new contract so he will be free next summer as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Well if they get rid of Brown, they obviously see Spector as someone who can replace him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

Brown must be crazy, if he leaves the only way for him to go is down. If he's not signed a new contract by Christmas he'll go in the January window because the club will want to get some money for him. I really hope he stays because I think him/Rio could form a great central defensive partnership over the next few years.

He signed his last contract on 2001, lets do some quick and dirty maths speculation for fun:

£15,000 per week would be what he's on minimum
    *52 per year
    *4 years
    = £3,120,000 in wages over the past 4 years

An incredible amount for a player who's been out injured for the majority of that time, and now he wants to leave next summer so he can get a huge signing on fee somewhere else! Once agents become involved then footballers common sense seems to go out the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I actually think it was 25g sterling so he is on a fair bit but obviously wants more.

If he leaves, it is a pity. He is a very good player when fit. WHEN being the key word.

• Advertisement

Who will be willing to offer him more considering his injury problems. Chelsea are the only ones I can thinks of who can afford to take that risk but would they want him and would he go there as he would more than likely spend just as much of his time on the bench.

I think United are trying to force him to make his decision. By going public they know Brown has to make up his mind pretty quickly and If he doesn't the fans will be on his back which would be a pity because he is a popular player with Utd fans at the moment.

I would be sorry to see him go becaues when he is fit he is an excellent player but he has to do what is right for himself and if that means moving I wish him all the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Newcaslte would want and need him

PHB wrote:
    Newcaslte would want and need him

Would they pay him more than the United offer considering the amount of games he misses through injury.

Brown says he wants to stay at United, his agent is to meet David Gill shortly to try and sort out his future. Fergie wants him to stay as well so he may not be going anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I don't think he will leave, certainly not in January. If he does, I could definitely see them lining up a mid-range replacement, they won't head into the new year with Spector/O Shea/Keane as cover for Silvestre and Ferdinand. And Ferguson seems to be on the lookout for a decent goalkeeper rather than any other position, so I think it is unlikely that he will want to spend on a centre-half.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

I'm extremely saddened by this rumour. Imho Brown is the best natural defender at OT. Rio is our best defender, but I think Brown is more naturally gifted, at reading the game etc. I really don't think we should be letting him go. I feel it is he and Rio who should be the central defensive spine, rather than Rio and Micky. Micky is too prone to error. I'd like to see Brown being given a regular run there, and we'd see if he could stay injury free. He'll be a big loss if he does go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

I think Newcastle have had there fair share of injuryed defenders after Woodgate! can see them moving for a big name to keep fans happy and off the boards back! prob Birmingham or someone like that will come in for him! he is an ok defender! I think tis is gud for O'Shea because Brown was ahead of him in the pecking for the CB role!

Anyway back to why he is an ok defender! everyone here is raving about how gud he is......why??? how many games has he played at Utd? how many mistakes in those games has he made? prob both wud be the same! for too long now people have been making the excuse that he is young! no chance! he makes 2 many mistakes and the whole defence looks shaky wit him at the back! look at the difference Rio made when he came back! not a top quality defender!! to show tis all you will have to do is look at the amount of top quality sides..e.g. Arsenal, Inter, AC Milan, Real, Barcalona, Juventes will be tryin to sign him....these are the main contenders for the CL so Utd should have as gud defenders as these

dirkey_wynne mentioned that Micky as he calls him is too error prone! sorry but I think ur getting mixed up with the defenders! Brown is the error prone one who makes Mikey look average! wat happens when Rio plays? Mikey look great! thats the sign of a decent defender

Big Nelly wrote:
    I think Newcastle have had there fair share of injuryed defenders after Woodgate! can see them moving for a big name to keep fans happy and off the boards back! prob Birmingham or someone like that will come in for him! he is an ok defender! I think tis is gud for O'Shea because Brown was ahead of him in the pecking for the CB role!

Anyway back to why he is an ok defender! everyone here is raving about how gud he is......why??? how many games has he played at Utd? how many mistakes in those games has he made? prob both wud be the same! for too long now people have been making the excuse that he is young! no chance! he makes 2 many mistakes and the whole defence looks shaky wit him at the back! look at the difference Rio made when he came back! not a top quality defender!! to show tis all you will have to do is look at the amount of top quality sides..e.g. Arsenal, Inter, AC Milan, Real, Barcalona, Juventes will be tryin to sign him....these are the main contenders for the CL so Utd should have as gud defenders as these

dirkey_wynne mentioned that Micky as he calls him is too error prone! sorry but I think ur getting mixed up with the defenders! Brown is the error prone one who makes Mikey look average! wat happens when Rio plays? Mikey look great! thats the sign of a decent defender
    And when was the last time you saw Wes and Rio play in the middle together? Bet you can't remember, so to state that Micky looks good when Rio plays doesn't really add up to anything, as Wes hasn't had the chance to play alongside him. And saying "That's the sign of a decent defender" is a load of s*it really - so you're saying the sign of a good defender is someone who plays well with a good defender alongside him? And this excuses him being woeful when Rio isn't there does it?

Take a look back at when Wes came back into the side last season. For about the first 4 games as he worked himself back in after his long term injury he was poor. He was very poor. But after that he was outstanding. Literally. About our best player on the pitch in the majority of the final games of last season. And that's w/o Rio.

Did you watch the games against Lyon and Bolton at all this season Nelly? Particularly the game against Bolton in which Micky was woeful. Now I don't deny he looks better with Rio alongside him, and as a Utd diehard I am delighted. But to state that this makes him a good player is ludicrous. If that's the case Wes should be played alongside Rio for a few games to see if he is a "decent player" and then and only then can we make judgement!

And when was the last time you saw Wes and Rio play in the middle together? Bet you can't remember, so to state that Micky looks good when Rio plays doesn't really add up to anything, as Wes hasn't had the chance to play alongside him. And saying "That's the sign of a decent defender" is a load of s*it really - so you're saying the sign of a good defender is someone who plays well with a good defender alongside him? And this excuses him being woeful when Rio isn't there does it?

Take a look back at when Wes came back into the side last season. For about the first 4 games as he worked himself back in after his long term injury he was poor. He was very poor. But after that he was outstanding. Literally. About our best player on the pitch in the majority of the final games of last season. And that's w/o Rio.

Did you watch the games against Lyon and Bolton at all this season Nelly? Particularly the game against Bolton in which Micky was woeful. Now I don't deny he looks better with Rio alongside him, and as a Utd diehard I am delighted. But to state that this makes him a good player is ludicrous. If that's the case Wes should be played alongside Rio for a few games to see if he is a "decent player" and then and only then can we make judgement!

Ok hold my hands up(if u dont shoot) that he hasnt had the chance to play along side Rio! but still stand by wat I said about the top clubs in Europe wont be after him! he is at best a bit part player at Utd and you have to agree here! not a Utd fan so takin an outside view here! wouldnt you tink Ferguson wud play him if he was as good as you say??

Seen the Lyon game and didnt really notice how bad Micky player because every1 else was sh*t most of the nite as well! tink Eamonn was right when he said he was worried about Utd beacuse Keane didnt even bother his arse roaring at every1 after the first goal!! look liked he knew already that they where useless! :rolleyes:

Big Nelly wrote:
    Ok hold my hands up(if u dont shoot) that he hasnt had the chance to play along side Rio! but still stand by wat I said about the top clubs in Europe wont be after him! he is at best a bit part player at Utd and you have to agree here! not a Utd fan so takin an outside view here! wouldnt you tink Ferguson wud play him if he was as good as you say??

Seen the Lyon game and didnt really notice how bad Micky player because every1 else was sh*t most of the nite as well! tink Eamonn was right when he said he was worried about Utd beacuse Keane didnt even bother his arse roaring at every1 after the first goal!! look liked he knew already that they where useless! :rolleyes:
    I know the top sides won't be after him, but I think it's more due to the fact that he's injury prone, rather than any lack of ability. I think he's up there with most defenders, he has the odd lapse, and his passing is pretty poor, but after that, if he plays games regularly, and, touch wood stays injury free i think he'd most certainly blossom. Fergie plays Wes regularly when he's fit, but seems to prefer Micky and Rio.

I know the top sides won't be after him, but I think it's more due to the fact that he's injury prone, rather than any lack of ability. I think he's up there with most defenders, he has the odd lapse, and his passing is pretty poor, but after that, if he plays games regularly, and, touch wood stays injury free i think he'd most certainly blossom. Fergie plays Wes regularly when he's fit, but seems to prefer Micky and Rio.

Ok Im confused! I mentioned above that he is error prone and u jumped down my throat so to speak...now you say he has the odd lapse and his passing is poor! now to me tis wud suggest a bottom PL team or mid table at best defender.....not a team who is tryin to win the PL and/or CL.....seriously as a Utd supporter wud u rather havin Cannavaro or someone like that alongside Rio instead of Mikey/Brown!

• Advertisement

Big Nelly wrote:
    Ok Im confused! I mentioned above that he is error prone and u jumped down my throat so to speak...now you say he has the odd lapse and his passing is poor! now to me tis wud suggest a bottom PL team or mid table at best defender.....not a team who is tryin to win the PL and/or CL.....seriously as a Utd supporter wud u rather havin Cannavaro or someone like that alongside Rio instead of Mikey/Brown!
    You said error prone. I said he has an odd lapse, which yes he does. But you said he makes Micky look average as he is poor, but Micky makes far more erros than Wes does, imho. Obviously I'd prefer Cannavarro etc, but that's not going to happen. As for making the odd error, so too does Rio but I'm still happy enough to have him in there. Wes passing is poor, but there aren't many English defenders out there with good passing - Sol Campbells is pretty poor too. I just think Wes is a better alternative to Micky. I'm not saying he's infallible, he does make errors, but who doesn't? Even Nesta has shockers!

You said error prone. I said he has an odd lapse, which yes he does. But you said he makes Micky look average as he is poor, but Micky makes far more erros than Wes does, imho. Obviously I'd prefer Cannavarro etc, but that's not going to happen. As for making the odd error, so too does Rio but I'm still happy enough to have him in there. Wes passing is poor, but there aren't many English defenders out there with good passing - Sol Campbells is pretty poor too. I just think Wes is a better alternative to Micky. I'm not saying he's infallible, he does make errors, but who doesn't? Even Nesta has shockers!

Ok to solve this arguement we will take brown to Shef Wed!!! after the display of heading the ball by our defence at the weekend I tink he wud be a decent signing! the rest of the Shef defence can pass but cant head the f**kin ball! haha

Big Nelly wrote:
    Ok to solve this arguement we will take brown to Shef Wed!!! after the display of heading the ball by our defence at the weekend I tink he wud be a decent signing! the rest of the Shef defence can pass but cant head the f**kin ball! haha
    :D

Advertisement