Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saw - sickest ever?

• 02-10-2004 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

I saw Saw yesterday. It was an unheralded film. No trailers to be seen, nothing in advance of the film's launch. And there it was on the cinema listings. I did a bit of research as I always do before forking out so much cash on the cinema, and I was amazed at how positive all the reviews were for a film that nobody knows about.

So I went along and found a real gem of a film. One of my favourite films of all time is Se7en. It was a new breed of film at the time and nothing since has come close, until now. This has one hell of a sick serial killer, only he is a killer by proxy - or rather his victims are. You see, ultimately this freak puts his victims in situations where there is a way out. But getting out usually involves killing someone else or dying a horrific death.

Anyway, I don't want to review the film or give away too much. I think people should go and see this film to see something really different. While it shares some of Se7en's main theme about ritualistic killings, this film enters new territory of its own. If you are squeamish, you may not want to go and see this film. For me this is a 5 star film.

I will say one thing about the film that gives something away, but I have to talk about it. There are scenes that go down in infamy in cinematic history. I am talking about scenes like the ear cutting in Resevoir Dogs or the alien coming out of the chest in Alien. This for me adds a new one....

Picture this. A sicko tells you that if you do not kill the other person in the room by 6pm, both your wife and daughter will be killed. You are shackled by the leg to a big pipe. You have a bullet, but the gun is in the middle of the room out of reach. The other guy is also shackled. One of the tools the sicko has given you is a hacksaw. You try cutting the chain, but the hacksaw just can't get through stainless steel. But it will go through flesh and bone......

One other thing to talk about is the web-site. Please go and visit www.sawmovie.com and prepare to be amazed by a site that reveals a lot of the sick stuff that goes on in the film. Follow the links in the Flash movie and look for hidden links (move your mouse all over the screen). Best viewed on a broadband connection. The site is really creepy and atmospheric and has to be the best movie promo site ever.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

thanks for the review, i'll be off to see it this weekend. ;)

oh, and there have been some trailers over the last week or so, i think you must have just missed them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Excellent, both me and my brother were sitting watching TV when the trailer came on. When it over we turned to eachother and said "That looks pretty savage dunnit?".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

yeah i seen all the trailers on tv for it
    looks pretty damn cool

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Saw it last night and it's highly recommended. There's loads of fiendishly inventive moments of pure and utter evilness :D I don't know what disturbed mind thought up the scenarios in these movies but more power to them! And how incredibly great was
    the ending! I never saw it coming! One of the best movie endings I've seen in years
    . See saw see saw see saw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

DC - you should edit your post and put a message in big bold writing not to read this thread until they've seen the movie. The less known about it (other than the fact that its pure f'ing GENIUS!), the better!

Absolutely loved it. I left it with a big grin from ear to ear. :):)
    (I definitely want to see it again!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I've been posting and raving about 'Saw' on Boards.ie for the last few months with links to trailers / teasers so anyone who says there's been little or no word about it obviously wasn't reading my posts.

I read tons of great reviews about the film from websites online who first saw it at film festivals last year and i thought there was no way this film could live up to the hype that i've seen about it online but I saw it last night and thought it was utterly brillant!!

Very sick, very violent, very bloody and with a great ending to boot!

By the way, to everyone who's seen it, Adam (the photographer guy in the basement in the white shirt) also wrote the screenplay to the film.

The only thing i think that somewhat let the film down was there was some below par acting at parts, especially from Cary Elwes... his English accent also seemed to jut out at points near the end where he was screaming. Though Leigh Whannel (Adam) impressed me with both his acting and writing for the film.

This film is definantly not for everyone... the
    leg slicing scene
    is especially gruesome and will probably disgust a lot of people! The scares come pretty fast... and i think most people will jump (or at least get a brief scare) at the scene with
    Adam using the flash of his camera to illuminate his apartment

But i for one think it was one of the best cinema films for quite some time! I say this as it is not a film to see on video... pay the extra €4 and go to the cinema to see this!

Believe me, all the hype i've heard has been well justified!

SEE THIS FILM NOW!!!

***** / *****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

I was convinced that this movie WASN'T coming out after no review columns covered it. I even checked this forum on Wednesday looking for someone complaining about it (because I remembered basquille heralding it some months ago).

Regardless, I'll be sure to try and catch this on Saturday night now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

NoelRock wrote:
    I was convinced that this movie WASN'T coming out after no review columns covered it. I even checked this forum on Wednesday looking for someone complaining about it (because I remembered basquille heralding it some months ago).

Regardless, I'll be sure to try and catch this on Saturday night now.

Cheers for the mention!

Yeah, i knew the film was coming out this weekend. And searched through papers to find reviews of it - found none! Then, i found the reason why there was none in the Day And Night magazine in the Indo. Apparently, there wasn't a preview print sent in times for critics screenings or something. It'll probably be reviewed in most papers next week.

The only new reviews i found for Saw were in Empire Magazine (Gave it 4 / 5. Read the review online here). And on Entertainment.ie, there's also a review (gave it 3 / 5).

Anyone who hasn't seen it yet, and isn't too squeamish of blood and all things violent, should definantly go see it again! Don't bother with that 'Sky Captain And The World Of Tomorrow' crap or 'Man About Dog' (even though i loved Paddy Breathnach's 'I Went Down' - this looks terrible!).

I can definantly see 'Saw' becoming a cult classic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Great movies, although some of the scenes could of been done better (I didn't like the fast cuts) I thought the film was a bit wierd because
    You never seem to know too much about any of the characters, for example Danny Glover just seemed to be playing a small bit-part in the movie until I realise that unlike Se7en, he WON'T be the guy solving the case, but just more fodder :D

Any one else think that Cary Elwes sounds like Snake from MGS at the start?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭gre_soul

SAW aint Se7en, not even close, the acting is so bad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Phil_321

Saw:) it yesterday. Thought it was a bit crap. There was no genuine moments of terror or things that would leave you thinking after the film ended. It was a bit of a Se7en ripoff, but it lacked the intelligence and great acting of that film.
    Even when he cut through his foot it wasn't that big a deal, shockwise, in this day and age when you can see 10 times worse **** on the net any day. If the guy had more character and you could empathise with him, and they played the psychological rather than gruesome angle, this scene could have been memorable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

DC wrote:
    Picture this. A sicko tells you that if you do not kill the other person in the room by 6pm, both your wife and daughter will be killed. You are shackled by the leg to a big pipe. You have a bullet, but the gun is in the middle of the room out of reach. The other guy is also shackled. One of the tools the sicko has given you is a hacksaw. You try cutting the chain, but the hacksaw just can't get through stainless steel. But it will go through flesh and bone......
    Nothing new, there was something VERY similar in one of the Mad Max series where yer man had to cut through his own leg, but by the sounds of things this film could be quite good, so Ill reserve judgement until I actually see the film :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

wasn't really shocked by any of it, but I have to say, the puppet thing coming out on the trike had me in stitches laughing, something so feckin weird and funny about it. Liked the ending too very well done, after Dr. Gordon crawled away that is (also something quiet funny about that 'cya later, would I lie' bit).

I personally found the toliet lid thing smashing into your man to be more gruesome than hacking off a bit of leg.

pretty damn good, go see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Juggalo

I thought it was good. But I wouldn't put it beside the likes of Se7en. I felt the acting let it down alot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Brilliant, absolutly brilliant.

I thought this film was a stoke of genious (not to hard to convince me of this after the months of utter ****e iv been going to see for the last 6-10+ months)

Some excellent scenes and the writing, dont even get me started on the writing, pure class :D

I loved the
    Scene with adam walking around the apartment with the camera, that was brilliant

Go and see this movie right now!
    If you have been pleased with any recent films then your bound to love this one!

Wow, great film :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

Acting is really awful, especially as it all comes to a close. Audiance was laughing at the Doctor and his screams of agony. Script also gets very bad at the end, dialogue is pathetic at points. Idea is good, twist is very good but instead of leaving the cinema trying to fit the twist into the rest of the story and seeing how it all makes sense (like in a g-o-o-d movie), you quickly change the topic of conversation from how much that just cost and how those hours are never to be returned, to the Senior Women's All Ireland Football Final ... true story!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Nothing new added to this genre. Pace was too slow. I would never have guessed there was going to be a twist ! I lie. It was obvious there was going to be a bloody twist.

Not dark enough, not one scary scene, the acting did it a major disservice too. I had no sympathy for any of the characters. Danny Glover's talents were totally wasted. The script was like a first draft and needed a lot of fixing and polishing but never got them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

You know, I must be one sick puppy because the film wasn't even sick enough for me :)

I was hoping for lots of scenes like the
    leg slicing
    one. Good film. Some shaky acting there but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Recommending it to my sicko mother and friends now!

It works quite well I thought, nice build up of tension, some "amateur-moviemaking tactics" (like the shaky camera during the lockjaw scenes) that I thought worked well and enjoyed. I'd recommend the film to anyone that is into this sortof film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

koneko wrote:
    You know, I must be one sick puppy because the film wasn't even sick enough for me :)

Koneko, you should check out audition If you haven't already
    The last half of the film gets a little trippy and then finally finds us sitting through one of the longest, sickening S&M scenes ever to hit my television screen.
    Never before in the cinema have myself and my mate literally sat with our coats in our hands in a weird game of chicken to see which one of us would walk out fist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Saw is weel worth a look alright and certainly a improvement on other serial killer movies of recent years like Bone collector and Kiss the girls, but it's no where near Se7en or even the BBC's Messiah.
    It was thought provoking but as someone else metioned the script did need some fine tuning , i love flashback scenes ( always creepy for some reason) but on a couple of occasions it was unclear for a minute or two if a scene was in present time or in the period 5 months before hand.
    The cast was ok , Glover was underused but he ain't exactly a A list celeb anymore.
    And i found Cary Elwes difficult to watch in such a serious role after the likes of Hot Shots and The Princess Bride , that Leslie Philips voice is commical at times. In fact , the way he speaks to his daughter in her bedroom was exactly like him in Liar, Liar ( Oh, look at the claw! )
    The speeded up killings scenes was an interesting idea but Se7en's policy of less is more is the most effictive way to portray a murder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Ah yeah, seen it ages ago, I remember actually pimping that film to boardsies before anyone was talking about it. People finally saw the light ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

One of the nice things about the UGC Unlimited card is the fact that you can easily apologise for seeing bad movies, and justify it to your bank balance by saying "well, this was one of the free movies I'll see this month".

Saw was this month's free movie. I'm trying desperately to make it into this year's free movie, because Saw was easily the most ridiculous movie I've seen all year.

Take a first-time director, a notoriously bad actor as your lead man, and add twist after twist after twist, and this is what you'll end up with. A steaming pile of smug, self-satisfied nonsense.

The movie had promise, I guess. And it provided a couple of good, psychological scares. "There's a monster in my closet" kind of things never really affected me before. But it's hard to justify them in the face of so many negative points.

First, we have the acting. The best Cary Elwes can do, acting-wise, is to play camp and hope for the best. He's made a pretty successful career of it, so far, but I can't help feel he should have maybe tried something else as his return to "dramatic" acting. Perhaps something whose fortunes didn't entirely rely on a convincing performance from him.

And Danny Glover was the most pointless black man in a film since Scatman Crothers in The Shining.

I was grinning for most of the movie, but the last ten minutes left me angry and apalled. The final twist reeked of "See what we did there? Did you? Didn't guess that, did you? See?", and its attempt at aping Se7en's head-in-a-box sequence, the big payoff at the end, was weak, bordering on farcical.

In the hands of a better director, this movie could have been really good. In the hands of someone still clutching his Trent Reznor albums and refusing to believe it's not 1997, it's not.

(edit - scarman? I must have been drunk)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Obeygiant wrote:
    I was grinning for most of the movie, but the last ten minutes left me angry and apalled. The final twist reeked of "See what we did there? Did you? Didn't guess that, did you? See?", and its attempt at aping Se7en's head-in-a-box sequence, the big payoff at the end, was weak, bordering on farcical.

I agree. Watched it last night, surrounded by an audience who laughed at *everything*, and I was disappointed.

It started out well enough, some interesting scenes (although the fast cuts were crap) and what is, in essence, a good premise and storyline. Unfortunately, after a while, the acting started to degenerate and it was unclear what the two guys were thinking or trying to do. The successive "twists & turns" of the storyline become more clichéd, until any sympathy you had for the characters is lost because they're 2-dimensional.

And then, the ending....The last fifteen minutes made me want to hit someone. Awful acting, particularly
    leading up to & after the leg cutting scene, and not just by the guy doing the cutting
    . It was obvious for the duration of the film that a twist was coming, but it's been a while since I saw a twist as lame as this. Aggravatingly, the way it was implemented gave me short-lived hope that it might be a good twist :
    we find out that the real psycho isn't Zap - he's just another part of the puzzle. And then the body that has lain motionless in the middle of the room gets up, and we realise that we've been duped. Instead of ending then, with the more psychological horror of realising we have no idea who the villain is, we then get a laughable explanation & justification of who our villain is.

This could, and should, have been much better. But as it stands, it's pretty crap, and all the more so because it appears that at least some of the people involved in its making were aware of how good it might have been...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Went to see it this afternoon.
    I wanted to like it, I really did, but I thought it was pretty crap.
    The acting was pretty awful,
    When Adam was pretending to be poisoned had to be the most ridiculous part in the film. Was that supposed to be comic relief?
    Also the dialogue towards the end
    after he shot him in the shoulder and was crawling away to get help was poor too.

A lot of people were laughing through it. Especially towards the end. It was pretty laughable. Started out well then just went downhill so quickly.

Don't believe the hype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Was dying to see this after reading the positive posts about it on this thread. Went to see it tonight and it didn't really live up to all the talk for me. The main actor (the doctor) is an absolutely laughable actor. Everyone around me were laughing at him towards the end. The whole film just seemed so rushed and thrown together, it was like they had this idea of two guys in a room chained together and thought they'd make up the rest of the plot as they went along. It was full of stupid stuff like Adam only remembering how he got there halfway through the film. "Hey wait I remember absolutely everything now, it just came to me and I can explain it in exact narrative detail"

Danny Glover is just past it, did he say one interesting thing in the film? Oh, apart from "I'm gonna git you, you sick mudda****a!". He also seems to be the most retarded cop EVER. As he is firing his gun at the end of the film he uses all the bullets in the clip and then looks at his gun in astonishment as if to say "HAY WHEY ISENT IT FIERING ANYMOER"
    the less said about the completely retarded way he dies the bloody well better
    The twist was stupid because as Fysh said, we don't know who the hell this guy is until were given a thrown together explanation.

Fairly poor film IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

DC wrote:
    I saw Saw yesterday. It was an unheralded film. No trailers to be seen, nothing in advance of the film's launch. And there it was on the cinema listings. I did a bit of research as I always do before forking out so much cash on the cinema, and I was amazed at how positive all the reviews were for a film that nobody knows about.

So I went along and found a real gem of a film. One of my favourite films of all time is Se7en. It was a new breed of film at the time and nothing since has come close, until now. This has one hell of a sick serial killer, only he is a killer by proxy - or rather his victims are. You see, ultimately this freak puts his victims in situations where there is a way out. But getting out usually involves killing someone else or dying a horrific death.

Anyway, I don't want to review the film or give away too much. I think people should go and see this film to see something really different. While it shares some of Se7en's main theme about ritualistic killings, this film enters new territory of its own. If you are squeamish, you may not want to go and see this film. For me this is a 5 star film.

I will say one thing about the film that gives something away, but I have to talk about it. There are scenes that go down in infamy in cinematic history. I am talking about scenes like the ear cutting in Resevoir Dogs or the alien coming out of the chest in Alien. This for me adds a new one....

One other thing to talk about is the web-site. Please go and visit www.sawmovie.com and prepare to be amazed by a site that reveals a lot of the sick stuff that goes on in the film. Follow the links in the Flash movie and look for hidden links (move your mouse all over the screen). Best viewed on a broadband connection. The site is really creepy and atmospheric and has to be the best movie promo site ever.

wow! now I can't wait to see it!

forgot to add, very nice review! Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Worst film I've seen in years. Walked out after an hour. Rubbish.

.logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

saw it last night. Great idea. Wanted to like it but the pacing/dialogue and acting were terrible.
    Why is it that we have'nt had a good original horror in years??? The original ring and blair witch spring to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭iasc

seen it yesterday, was alright, the beginning seemed like a rip-off of cube
    can see the seven comparisons, all the gore and that kind of stuff reminded me of them castle remakes, house on haunted hill, 13 ghosts and ghost ship
    wasnt the best...i was laughing half the time at the acting,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Re-reading this thread I noticed that the first few posters thought it was great then almost everyone after that has thought it was crap.
    Not much of an inbetween. Don't see how anyone could think it was great either.

Well it's been a while since I've seen such a polarized opinion on a movie. I still maintain it's highly enjoyable and fun for what it is - a shlock horror/thriller. I'll take a few of the criticisms levelled at it here:

1) Acting. OK how can I possibly defend this? It was pretty dire. For example, as Makaveli points out, the bit where
    Adam is pretending to be poisoned was laughable but I honestly felt we were meant to roll our eyes at this point. I can't fathom that is meant to be serious so I just assumed it wasn't.
    . Cary Elwes was weak alright and I'll agree at the end he had me laughing, at times, when I shouldn't have been. He needed to reign it in a lot... And Danny Glover? Wasted alright, but I'm hardly a fan so I didn't care much.

2) Dialogue. Some of the lines were pretty corny, not helped by bad line readings, but again I could live with it. I wasn't expecting anything from it in this movie, which I often saw as pseudo-bargain basement fun.

3) The ending. Now I don't see the problem some had with this. Let's examine it behind some spoiler space:
    It's fairly justified to not have Zep be the killer, because Zep is too "hands on" to fit the moderus operandi set up previously. Given we know the killer likes to watch, I think it's fair enough to have him in the room as well. ObeyGiant, you take exception to the fact that, I think, the ending was forced, as if they placed a twist precisely to do a Shaymalan and appear clever rather than because the logic of the story led to it, right? Well do you not feel that their explanation, as much as it was, fitted in with what we had been told previously? It may have been mildy jarring but I thought it was an enjoyable eh.. jar.

I felt the movie had some nifty ideas which is something even the detractors can agree upon (as opposed to the execution). It felt fairly amatuerish, sure, but I didn't go in expecting it to be actually slick or polished. Now maybe I dumbed my expectations down a lot, but I knew I wasn't in for anything as slickly produced as Se7en, the film its mostly compared to. Se7en is a fantastic work, IMHO, that's genre-defying (sort of) for its niche and was a great inspiration for the likes of 'Millennium', one of my favourite TV shows. Fincher is one of the bright lights of young Hollywood talent and I never felt "Saw" should, or would, echo it in terms of quality. What I looked for, and got, was sheer visceral entertainment rather than anything like a seminal classic and, on those grounds, I can forgive the sometimes weak acting and dialog because I enjoyed the sheer nastiness and deliciously devilish ending...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

rob1891 wrote:
    Acting is really awful, especially as it all comes to a close. Audiance was laughing at the Doctor and his screams of agony. Script also gets very bad at the end, dialogue is pathetic at points. Idea is good, twist is very good but instead of leaving the cinema trying to fit the twist into the rest of the story and seeing how it all makes sense (like in a g-o-o-d movie), you quickly change the topic of conversation from how much that just cost and how those hours are never to be returned, to the Senior Women's All Ireland Football Final ... true story!!!

Watched it last night and the majority of people in the cinema were in fits of laughter during the last 20 minutes. The two main characters ham it up so much, you could almost believe it's a piss take. It totally destroys any sense of atmosphere and ruined the film.

They had a great script, but spoiled it with a poor director and worse actors.

Saw it this afternoon after months of waiting. I have to say that I loved it. Easily one of the best horror films I have ever seen.

ixoy wrote:
    ObeyGiant, you take exception to the fact that, I think, the ending was forced, as if they placed a twist precisely to do a Shaymalan and appear clever rather than because the logic of the story led to it, right? Well do you not feel that their explanation, as much as it was, fitted in with what we had been told previously? It may have been mildy jarring but I thought it was an enjoyable eh.. jar.
    Now for the problem of how to explain my opinion without having to wrap my entire post in spoiler tags. I felt that there were two main twists at the end, twist one being
    the revelation that Zep wasn't the killer
    , and twist two being
    the revelation that the old guy on the floor was the killer all along

I liked twist one. I thought that alone was enough to make me go "hey - that's not a bad bit of misdirection, maybe this film isn't so bad afte...", that's exactly when twist two hit. And it hit like a bum note with me. It left me thinking "Aw, why did you have to go and do that?". I know it fits in with what they were saying earlier and how they were building it all up, but with that one little "crafty, look-how-clever-we-are" maneuver, they just opened a whole bunch of other questions that made it look dumb. The most pressing being:
    the old guy was in a hospital bed with a brain tumour at the time of the first murders that Cary Elwes was being questioned for.. not long after Elwes is let, Danny Glover solves everything and finds the guy's hideout. The timeline of the entire thing doesn't make sense for me - killer sets up the trap for the girl, she escapes, he goes into hospital with a brain tumour and is released after day or two to strike again.

To me, it just seemed next-to-pointless, and in my opinion the entire movie would have benefited by just not having a second twist. By finishing the film on twist one, and leaving it fairly unexplained, I think the film could have been a whole lot more unsettling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Don't agree at all with the assessment that the twists were stupid, I think they played nicely but I reckon its a film that you need to watch a second time. The first time the clues come to random and there is so much mis-direction as the characters recounting the stories lie to each other that its hard to follow what you should be taking as a clue and whats made up.

The one bit that did help me take the ending was
    the discussion of the killers tumour in the hospital, I'm pretty sure he was about to suggest that it would cause mental deficiencies and they implied that there was some important prognosis to be made, but we never found out why. Of course, thats just my slant, knowing a bit about the area.

• Advertisement

syke wrote:
    Don't agree at all with the assessment that the twists were stupid, I think they played nicely but I reckon its a film that you need to watch a second time. The first time the clues come to random and there is so much mis-direction as the characters recounting the stories lie to each other that its hard to follow what you should be taking as a clue and whats made up.
    Respectfully, I disagree. I don't think there's any real need to see the film again to fully appreciate where all the clues were because.. well.. they spelled them all out at the revelations. After the first twist, they played all the scenes that were actually clues again. After the second twist, same thing. Except with some added bits (like seeing the guy's face in the chase). It was this heavy-handed "for all you dummies in the audience, here's our explaination of the twists" that helped put me off this film in the first place.

Plus, I'm terrified that I'd be a whole lot less forgiving of the other faults in the film if I saw it again :)

Sorry to drag up an old topic, but I'd love to hear Syke's reason for giving me negative reputation points for my original post about Saw. Fair enough if you disagreed with my opinion, but docking me reputation points for it?

Syke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I felt you could have used spoiler spaces, although you didn't refer to anything specifically, if you're going to talk about the end of a film and suggest there is a twist, it'd be nice for someone going to the film not to be pre-loaded.

Incidently, this isn't the forum to ask about it.

syke wrote:
    I felt you could have used spoiler spaces, although you didn't refer to anything specifically, if you're going to talk about the end of a film and suggest there is a twist, it'd be nice for someone going to the film not to be pre-loaded.
    Well fair enough, I just hope you also docked the reputation points of the six other people who mentioned the twist in this thread too. Otherwise it would seem a little unfair.
    syke wrote:
    Incidently, this isn't the forum to ask about it.
    Why the hell not? If this was a personal attack or some kind of grudge, perhaps it should be taken to private messages, but you obviously had some kind of problem with my post and I wanted to know what it was.

If anything, I'd say that your disapproval of my post would be best kept on this thread, instead of some no-comment reputation docking. At least then we could actually get somewhere towards addressing your complaints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

haven't seen the film yet but i've been looking foward to it for months now, when my american friends began talking about it. so yeah, hopefully i'll get to see it this week...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

I really enjoyed the movie - but
    the ending was SO STUPID! omg as if he could just lie there perfectly still for over 6 hours and not be noticed

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

ixoy wrote:
    Adam is pretending to be poisoned was laughable but I honestly felt we were meant to roll our eyes at this point. I can't fathom that is meant to be serious so I just assumed it wasn't.

How could anybody see anything wrong with that? It wasn’t bad acting, it was the acting of bad acting.

ixoy wrote:
    3) The ending. Now I don't see the problem some had with this. Let's examine it behind some spoiler space:
    It's fairly justified to not have Zep be the killer, because Zep is too "hands on" to fit the moderus operandi set up previously. Given we know the killer likes to watch, I think it's fair enough to have him in the room as well. ObeyGiant, you take exception to the fact that, I think, the ending was forced, as if they placed a twist precisely to do a Shaymalan and appear clever rather than because the logic of the story led to it, right? Well do you not feel that their explanation, as much as it was, fitted in with what we had been told previously? It may have been mildy jarring but I thought it was an enjoyable eh.. jar.

The ending might have been a little depressing for control freaks who need to be on top of things, and have everything figured out 5mins into the film, sure. Sure, like giving them the finger!

Or maybe the "over-intellect" viewers figured it out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

damien.m wrote:
    Nothing new added to this genre. Pace was too slow. I would never have guessed there was going to be a twist ! I lie. It was obvious there was going to be a bloody twist.

Not dark enough, not one scary scene, the acting did it a major disservice too. I had no sympathy for any of the characters. Danny Glover's talents were totally wasted. The script was like a first draft and needed a lot of fixing and polishing but never got them.

Completely agree .. so many holes in the plot .. it was a real shame because the script had some real potential. Also whoever cast the movie must have been on crack ... everyone was awful in it to the point where i was laughing out loud at the comical acting. No where near as good as seven ... at the best a poor clone. You should never trust a movie that compares itself to another movie in its promotional campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I have to say this film is complete **** and has the worst acting I've seen in a major film in a LONG time. It was appropriate that the 'killer' wore a pigs head in the film as Cary Elwes performance was pure ham. His 'noooooo's' etc towards the end would have made Mark Hamills reaction to learning Darth Vader was his father look sincere. The film was bad enough on its own but Elwes sunk it with his 'performance'.

Also when will these hackneyed pieces of rubbish (that are supposed to pass for 'serial-thrillers') realise that in 2004 the best final scene 'twist' is probably NOT TO HAVE A TWIST! Anyone with half a brain can see what was coming.

Anway, Saw is sheer crap! I have to admit I'm picky about what I go to see but this is the worst film I've seen in the cinema this year by far. I was expecting something along the lines of 'Cube' + gore, but what I got was some twat who clearly thought 'well Seven was pretty groovy ... lets see if we can outdo it but tripling the gore and totally ignoring the characters, plot, logic or anything else that might involve an audience in the story'.

Oh yeah and if I want to see
    a foot getting cut off with some tension (pun not intended) I'll just watch Audition
    again. Actually that brings me to one last GAPING plot hole .... why didn't Elwes at least try to
    CUT THE VERY RUSTY metal water pipe that his chain was locked around before doing surgery on himself?

(edited for spoilers)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Pigman II wrote:
    Anway, Saw is sheer crap! I have to admit I'm picky about what I go to see but this is the worst film I've seen in the cinema this year by far.
    You obviously haven't been Sky Captain then.

I really loved Saw. Most fun i've had in the cinema since Dawn of the Dead. Which I also loved.

I thought Audition was **** though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Lodgepole wrote:
    No I haven't. I think I was put off by the title alone.
    Lodgepole wrote:
    Agreed, but that scene at the end was still excruciating imho.

Lodgepole wrote:
    Funnily enough I liked the style of the movie. It was quite flat otherwise and Paltrow's character deserved an excruciating death.
    I really loved Saw. Most fun i've had in the cinema since Dawn of the Dead. Which I also loved.
    *Nods* As I've said elsewhere in this thread, I didn't try and put it in the same league as other movies. I really enjoyed it for what it was. I think the feeling I got from this is also quite comparable to the nifty "Dawn of the Dead" (or more recently "Cellular") earlier this year: a great visceral time. You sit in, let the film play along and watch it rarely lag and have a bit of fun. I enjoyed what it did but recognize that there's a certain inherent trashyness to it.
    In much the same way I've enjoyed the total garbage that L. Ron Hubbard spewed and called "sci-fi" and yet now am currently enjoying the more realistic, grounded word of Baxter's Manifold series. Room for a lot of tastes as long as I'm not being bored...
    I had heard such great things about this that when I finally got to see it I was distinctly underwhelmed. The ending's decent on shock value but the film was pumped up too much for my liking. One man's etc etc...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

monument wrote:
    How could anybody see anything wrong with that? It wasn’t bad acting, it was the acting of bad acting.

I agree with this, although it was still somewhat jarring, as if he was deliberately acting poorly rather than putting any effort into looking convincing. I might have ignored it as a standalone odd moment, but it was sadly one of many.
    ixoy wrote:

I disagree. Continuing on from what you've said :
    the fact that Zep is not the killer fits in fully with what has been said so far, and the way that we find out Zep is not actually the killer sets up a potentially excellent ending - we don't know who the killer is, Elwes has crawled off after having some sort of breakdown and will likely bleed to death, and our young lead is left lying in a room with blood, a severed foot, and a dead man for company. And all the while the camera's running, so the real killer could still be watching.

Where it goes wrong is in suddenly having a body that has lain, inert, in the room for over 6 hours suddenly get up and walk around. I don't care how good an actor our killer is, one of the two would notice that he wasn't quite dead. Movements from breathing, something like that. The fact that until he starts talking the killer has had no screen time also spoils it, because it feels like the "revelation" was bolted on for shock value. But it only makes sense by adding new scenes to what we've already seen, rather than just giving a new interpretation to what we already know - in "Usual Suspects", for example, we know the character who turns out to be the killer right from the beginning. What we don't know is that he is the killer. Here, on the other hand, the killer is someone who is only referred to once during the film, and even then he isn't given any screen time. I mean, the ending made approximately as much sense as having Elwes's bit on the side be the killer. I'm sure they could justify it, but it lets what little tension the film built up fizzle out compeltely.

The fact that the killer leaves with that cheese "Game Over!" line was an extra straw to an overloaded donkey's back.
    The ending might have been a little depressing for control freaks who need to be on top of things, and have everything figured out 5mins into the film, sure. Sure, like giving them the finger! Or maybe the "over-intellect" viewers figured it out?

Not quite. I sat, watching it, wondering who the killer was. It's pretty apparent from early on that cracking the killer's identity would be guesswork at best. The ending still felt cheap and crap for the reasons above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭weerez

Saw was good....good but not great. Loved the premise. Kinda got bored around the hour mark. Great last 15 mins. Id give it 3/5.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

'Saw' this movie last night and the 'moth' dug her nails into my hands with the fear, I on the other hand am a man's man and thus was not scared, YEAH RIGHT!!

Frightened the crap out of me, and had me on edge of my seat many times.

Just go see it.

Best film in ages!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement