Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saw - sickest ever?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Went to see it yesterday after work. As people have said above, the acting is terrible in parts (Elwes in the last 20 minutes or so especially) don't know how any director could watch that and say "Yeah, thats some good acting right there..."
    The final two twists are slightly predictable and the resulting explanation at the very end is a bit contrived and wtf?

But I still though it was really really enjoyable. Some of the setups are very very nasty
    1)
    The se7en-a-like death set-ups, the guy in the razor wire, and the girl with the lockjaw helmet thing are seriously freaky. Edge of seat and might-not-look-at-screen-for-this-bit kind of nasty.
    2)
    I thought the first 2/3 of the film where the ending was set up were great, the flashbacks and piecing together of the story was reasonably good. Some good moments like Adam in his apartment with his camera

Overall it was entertaining though given its shortcomings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭carpocrates

sickest ever? You pussies!! :P you've clearly never seen a film called Salo, or the 120 days of Sodom by Pasolini. I remember when it was finally allowed to be shown here about 3 years ago, there were only about 5 of us left in the IFI (IFC back in them days) by the time it was over. Most of the audience walked out during the sh1t eating banquet scene about halfway through. Or at the end when everyone was being horrifically tortured to death. And in the face of all this, it was one of the most intelligent and calculated films you could ever imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Agent Orange

Saw is an excellent horror movie. Those of you who go to horror films to 'have a laugh' won't like it. You should also be shot - I hate you disruptive assholes.

Those of you who actually like horror and like to be scared - you'll love Saw. It's refereshing to see a film that isn't constantly winking at the audience like Scream and its clones or even indie fair like Cabin Fever.

The film is more influenced by Italian than American horror: the sadistic and intricate murders, stylistic choices (killer's robes and masks), mystery element, etc. are all standard Italian staples. The scene with the stethoscope could have been part of an Argento movie, and the puppet reminded me of the dummy in Deep Red.

I liked the ending, Elwes' acting was fine and it delivered plenty of memorable, nasty shocks. Highly recommended for those of you with good taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Saw is an excellent horror movie. Those of you who go to horror films to 'have a laugh' won't like it. You should also be shot - I hate you disruptive assholes.

Those of you who actually like horror and like to be scared - you'll love Saw. It's refereshing to see a film that isn't constantly winking at the audience like Scream and its clones or even indie fair like Cabin Fever.

The film is more influenced by Italian than American horror: the sadistic and intricate murders, stylistic choices (killer's robes and masks), mystery element, etc. are all standard Italian staples. The scene with the stethoscope could have been part of an Argento movie, and the puppet reminded me of the dummy in Deep Red.

I liked the ending, Elwes' acting was fine and it delivered plenty of memorable, nasty shocks. Highly recommended for those of you with good taste.

I'm sorry, but HOW DARE YOU!?

Argento at his absolute worst is far better than this turid lump of crap, and even comparing the films, bar some obvious "Influence" is insulting. And as a big horror fan, I find the notion that horror fans would love Saw personally insulting.

At this stage I am absolutely sick to death of these god damn "Twist" films! So many times we get these damned films where the entire point is to have some big relevatory twist that's supposed to make us gasp. And what's worse is the fact that it takes it's twists from the Bone Collector's school of suprises by diminishing any impact when we realise that we only saw the killer for all of 3 seconds in the film previously!
    And the kick in the teeth is that it was glaringly obvious who it was half way through the film, the points made of the 'killer' forcing people to appreciate life, his 'Sickness', the part on the message about the doctor telling people they're going to die, and how the orderly pointed out that the terminally ill patient had a name... I'm suprised more people here haven't shouted out how obvious it was.

If the film had ended right when
    Adam hears the message on Zap's tape recorder
    that could possibly have redeemed it somewhat, but not by much, as it was horribly derivative of many films, better films at that.

And I'm also of the mind that Cary Elwes deserved the film seeing as he didn't have the cop on to avoid this kind of junk after Kiss The Girls.

But what's really annoying me is the fact that it started so well! I was looking farward to it, I tried to avoid reading about it, and for the first hour or so, I was thinking to myself that this is quite a good film... But jesus the film went so horribly horribly wrong so quickly it was unforgivable!

Horrible!

And I'm probably going to be flamed for this post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

I watched it last night and i enjoyed it for what it was..... :D Some nice ideas and some terrible acting!!

[OT] Watched it in the UGC and i have to say it was one of the worst cinema going experiences i have ever had. Three foreign guys arrived late, about 10mins into the show and asked the girl sitting beside me to move over for them so that they could all sit together...this would have been fair enough except they stood in front of her so she couldn't see the film while they waited for her to move.

They then whispered to themselves quite a bit during the movie, despite my quiet "shhhhhush's" which was really annoying. But what really pissed me off was one of the ****ers took out his mobile and dialled a mate and had a conversation over the phone. I tapped him on the leg and told him to get out of the ****ing cinema if he wanted to use his phone. He smiled and then laughed with his mate about me..... :mad: he did hang up as i looked like i was going to hit him (which i was :eek: )

As soon as the movie ended they scarpered pretty quickly or i would have torn the little bastards into pieces...

Advertisement