Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows error of biblical proportions

Options
  • 02-10-2004 1:20pm

So I went to boot up my laptop today to find that "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    <windows root>\system32\hal.dll
    Please re-install a copy of the above file"

the thing is i dont know how to go about re-installing it. If i re-intall XP over it,with this solve it without deleting my stuff? Ive some pretty important college material that i dont want to lose (btw ive learnt my lesson, always backup blah blah blah.)

I left it on without a power source all night and oviously it ran outa juice so this *may* have contributed to the problem :o

A quick google brought up this:http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_haldll_missing.htm
    but i cant copy the file from the cd to the hd :/ i just get "the command is not recognised etc...
    It wont startup in safemode either.
    help me!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

A repair installation of XP should sort you out without losing any of your data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

Pfft.. N00b...

A reinstall of XP won't touch anything on your D: partition.. ie. My Documents..

But remember your Desktop is stored on C:..

If you really don't want to take any chances use a Knoppix CD to burn stuff on C: before you reinstall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭MazdaMan

You could download the file from here http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?hal

Follow the instructions on how to install it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

no it's not of biblical proportions , windows dies too easily and often, msblaster and co are of biblical proportions so make sure you have a firewall and good antivirus - some error messages are caused by nasties.

I take it you have booted off the CD and gone into recovery console, logged in as administrator , and tried to copy the file that way..

usually if you reinstall/upgrade the version it should leave your settings alone, and usually it warns you if you will loose your current setup, the word usually does not mean always.

you could do reinstall into a folder called winxp and then when it boots up try to copy the file in to the windows folder - all going well you might even get a dual boot option.

Cheers lads i got it up and running but its quite sluggish. Ive been meaning to format so nows the best time i guess

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

Put everything of value onto D: and use the ghost CDs...

or ill just get u to do it.

Advertisement