Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GX30 - what ringtone formats?

Options
  • 02-10-2004 2:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭

According to the Sharp GX30 manual it can play 'any sound file' except AMR/WAV and MP3 files as its ringtone. That left me wondering, what other formats are there? I'm not really sure what AMR format is, but its the format the phone itself uses when recording sound.
    It doesn't even play many midi files I've found. This was the same with the GX10, and I remember having some program on my PC where I loaded a midi file in, unticked some box(can't remember what for), then saved it, the file still sounded the same but was now compatible with the phone.

So can anyone tell me first of all what other file formats does it play, because I thought the phone played 'real tones' and it's speaker does a fine job of playing MP3's normally so not sure what the problem would be with ring tones.

Then second of all, does anyone know what I'm talking about when it comes to midi files or whats a good program to convert them to something the phone can play?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭gogul

As far as I can tell the GX30 can only play SMAF (realtones) and MIDI files (mono and ploy) as ringtones.

As for building them yourself, I'm not too sure where to go for them. Realtones is a mystery and the only ones I have come from Vodafone.

You can get most good Midi files online at http://www.free-ringtones.eu.com. Just download to your machine and if you have a card-reader just put the SD in and transfer across to the appropriate folder. That should be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I got a program called PSMPlay, forget where I found it, but that let me save midis in smaf format, aswell as saving midis with 'ringtone mode' box ticked which worked just as well.

Still no explanation about real tones though, I've done a few web searches and haven't gotten anywhere. It does support some kind of real sound format because you can buy real tones for it, but I'm not gonna pay a fiver for a ringtone when I already have a hundred of my own MP3s sitting on the phone, there must be some format I can convert them to.

Advertisement