Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need help new pc

Options
  • 02-10-2004 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

hi i need help i am going to build a new pc

i was going to buy

abit kv7 socket a motherboard €62
    crucial pc 3200 ballistix ddr 512mb cl2 €141
    thermaltake purepower fanless psu €144.99
    all from www.komplett.ie

i have a case and drives but am looking for a good cpu and water cooling kit for this motherboard

can someone please help :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

You should stick in a Mobile 2500+ Xp, the best for overclocking in my opinion. as for watercooling the Astek WaterChill is the best preformer out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭dunco

hi thank you where can i buy a mobile xp in ireland

I cant seem to find it for sale anywhere in Ireland.. but you should try www.jes-computer.de, its a german shop with really good prices that should make up for the delivery charges.

heres a link to the Mobile 2500Xp at jes if your interested http://www.jes-computer.de/index.php?cat=169_44&sort=3a&page=4

hi i was looking at www.marx-computers.com
    they have a athlon xp 3000+ (barton) 512kb l2 400mhz €194 is that good

• Advertisement

You can overclock the Moblie to the same speed as the 3200Xp and it only costs 89.99e, but that still is a good price for the 3000.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

dunco tell us how much you have to spend and what you don't need to buy e.g monitor mouse keyboard etc. and what you plan on doing with it, overclocking, games and that and we should be able to give better advice.

imo its time to move on from an xp system for an decent upgrade and i'd be looking at the Athlon 64 series if you wanna game

data

hi
    i bachup my dvds and play some games

i have a ga-7vkml 266ddr motherboard (crap)
    256mb + 512mb ram 266ddr
    amd athlon xp (palomino)(crap)
    17" monitor
    120gb +60gb hd ide
    win xp

i ma looking for motherboard ram and cpu good spec
    i have €400 to €500

How much do you have to spend??? soz didnt see that 400 - 500..ok

Heres something i put together on Jes.de

AMD athlon 64 3000 (newcastle) 150.99e
    Abit kv8 Mobo 95.99e
    1Gb TwinMos DDR400(2x 512Mb) 162.99

totaling 409.97, you can pick up some good watercooling kits there aswell for around 100e.

• Advertisement

hi
    all the money i have to spend is €300.
    i had to get other stuf any ideas

In that case ya proberly would be better off with your original choice of board and ram and an auld Mobile 2500+.

You should also consider the NF7 Ultra 400, a much better board then the KV7, using nForce2 chipset. its only 75.99e at www.jes-computer.de

hi
    is the nf7 good for overclocking

hi
    if buy 500mhz ram can i put in 400mhz board and overclock to 500mhz with a mobile xp 2600+

Yes its a brilliant board for overclocking. the 2400, 2500 and 2600 xp all have an fsb of 266 so there really would be no need to get DDR500 plus they have their multipliers unlocked so you wouldn't be upping the FSB as much. the mobile version are all on a low voltage so they can overclock really well. So i'd say stick with the DDR400 (pc3200) ram and get either a 2400 or a 2500 they are all the same just the price and they are set at different multipliers. :D

hi
    can you run a 266mhz cpu with 400mhz ram

Yeah as long as the board supports it, and the NF7 Ultra dose.

You might be better off with DDR333 (pc2700) depending on how much your going to overclock.

hi
    is the barton locked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

The mobile multi's are unlocked.

You should get at least pc3200 as you will be upping the fsb to a least 200mhz giving you a system fsb of 400 and your ram at 400mhz but it will go higher. You have your multi's to mess around with as well.

BloodBath

hi
    which is best for oc mobile or barton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ViperVenoM

well for starters the bartons are locked these days which screws the OC capability

but mobiles by a lot anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

dunco, for that type of budget of 300 i'd be looking at a mobile xp2500+ as well. for o/c the NF7-s is a great board and any board you buy for teh socket A platform should use an nforce 2 chipset it is the only way forward.

the power supply you mentioned seems nice but expensive mainly because its fanless you could pick yourself up a good 350w psu for much cheaper. antec springs to mind as a great psu manufacturer.;

with regards to overclocking itself ideally you'll lower your multiplier and up you FSB so you can find the maximum FSB you can run at. then when you have found this you will up the multi to find out what you can handle. the typical clock speeds on a xp2500+ is 166*11 and on a normal xp2500+ most of these will go to 200*11 giving the rating of xp3200+.

with a mobile chip i would expect to get the FSB higher. with amd systems there is really no other way than to run the ram frequency in sync with the processor i.e 1:1. at a frequency of 200mhz which you should achieve easily on a mobile chip you already need pc3200 ram.

go pc3200 ram will be overclockable but you might want to consider getting yourself some pc3500, 3700 or 4000 incase you get lucky with your chip and it like high FSB.

the question does arise then between lower frequency ram with tight timings or higher frequency ram with looser timings a question i don't recall the answer to prob wont' make much of a difference and you could find a compromise.

anyway see some ocz ram here

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Enhanced_Latency_Series.html

Using a low multi he could hit 250fsb or higher easily. It just depends on wheter he wants to fork out the extra for the higher speed ram.

The extra system fsb and bandwidth more than makes up for looser timings and will destroy lower fsb with tighter timings.

Look at Dubdvd's system. I know it's an intel but his timings are huge as it's ddr2 but the high fsb and memory speeds more than make up for it.

BloodBath

hi
    on the www.komplett.ie site they have
    Crucial PC4000 BallistiX DDR 512MB CL2,5 Non-parity, 2.8V, 32Meg x 64 €147
    Crucial PC3200 BallistiX DDR 512MB CL2 Non-parity, 2.8V, 64Meg x 64 €141

so €5 is not much if it will work i will buy :D

Cool sorry I thought you were getting a gig of RAM but even that would have made little difference.

Go for the pc4000 then and get the 2400 mobile, not the 2500. It's cheaper and the same cpu.

BloodBath

Both of them are fine but hey why not go for the Pc4000 if it s only fiver in difference. Have you decided on what board and CPU your going to go for?

hi
    i have not decided on a board or cpu yet
    but the nf7 sounds good

• Advertisement

Yeah the NF7 -s rev2 is the best board out for xp's and everyone has stated the Mobiles are the best for overclocking. So if you go for the NF7, a mobile 2400+xp and the pc4000, you should have pretty cool overclockable buget system, although 512k is the bare minium ram i'd use these days you can always upgrade to another stick when financialy viable.

Advertisement