Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need help new pc

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭dunco

hi
    is the abit nf7-m good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

Near enough the same as the NF7-s2 but without the SATA Raid and a few other features.

hi
    ok i will go for the nf7-m
    i would like to buy in ireland and can not find mobile xp in ireland
    is there another good cpu i can get here

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Why not just order from Jes? The same parts will cost a lot more here and you won't be able to get a mobile xp.

Plenty of boards users including myself have ordered from here without a problem. You don't need a credit card and should get your parts in under 2 weeks.

If you need help with it let us know.

BloodBath

hi
    ok i will give jes a go

• Advertisement

hi
    will i need watercooling for the mobile xp

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i'd stick with the nf7-s v2.0 over the nf7-m the m version has onboard graphics but they're crap.

while the s version gives you firewire s-ata and also extremely good onboard sound as a result you won't need a soundcard

dunco wrote:
    hi
    will i need watercooling for the mobile xp

You dont really need watercooling for the mobile, i know people who have overcloked a good bit with jus air cooling. you can always upgrade to watercooling later if u need more overclockability.

BloodBath wrote:
    Why not just order from Jes? The same parts will cost a lot more here and you won't be able to get a mobile xp.

Plenty of boards users including myself have ordered from here without a problem. You don't need a credit card and should get your parts in under 2 weeks.

If you need help with it let us know.

BloodBath

Yeah Jes is one of the only places i can find the Mobile Xp's and it really cheap you should be able to get everything you need from them. :D

Water cooling will have no effect on a mobile xp. You will reach your max safe voltage well before you need better cooling than air.

Just get a half decent heatsink, it doesn't even have to be a good one, and some artic silver 5.

Your load temps should never be more than 50c with a big overclock. That's well under the max safe temp of these processors.

BloodBath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Theres no way id get the NF7-S2 which is the board jes are selling. It has nu multiplier adjustments and cuts down the value of getting a mobile chip. The NF7-S2 also has no soundstorm.

The NF7-S v2.0 on the other hand is a fantastic board and one of the best AMD XP ones imo........ note the slight difference (NF7-S v2.0 is off the market now).
    I would recomend the Abit AN7, would definetly be my choice.

Theres no way i would go for Pc4000 Memory with an XP system, timings mean far more for performance with that system. Also they arent known for huge FSB, and the bandwidth will be low either way....... (have ran Pc4000 Ram on the NF7-S @ 490mhz Dual DDR, and its not impressive)

Tight timings like 2-3-3-7 or less is the way to go with the XP.

hi
    can the an7 take a 266 mobile xp 2400+

yeah i was on about the NF2 s rev2, think i called it NF2 S2 in one post by accident.. dunc you should do a google and look at the specs of these boards instead of asking question like that all the time.

Jes only stock the NF7-S2 and most places will follow (or have already), thats why the AN7 is a great option.... and yes it will work fine with 266mhz FSB mobile chips (with new Ram you would be running 400mhz FSB (2x200mhz) atleast).

Its a real pain about the NF7-S2....... why change the best and make it worse?

hi
    ok i have ordered
    Crucial PC4000 BallistiX DDR 512MB CL2,5 €157 inc delivery from komplett
    AMD Athlon XP-Mobile 2400+ 45W Tray + Abit AN7, nForce2 Ultra 400 €199 inc delivery from jes
    total €356

Cool you should have a nice system real soon ... keeps us informed on how things go and if you need any help advice on the build or software installation feel free to post or Pm me. best of luck weith the build :D

hi
    i would like to now how to copy my 60gb harddrive that has winxp on to a 120gb drive but it can wait

hi
    thank you for your help

Try using a program like Norton Ghost or if it just the files your after you can install windows on your new harddrive then set the old one as slave and just copy and paste the files over.

hi
    if i install winxp on a new drive will I have to activate winxp again
    it will be a new pc so is it ok to do that

• Advertisement

Its fine to activate it again, after you change five things on your system since you first activated you have to reactivate so you will have to do it again anyway seeing as your building a new system.

hi
    thats ok then thank you

no probs mate :D

Sorry i know this is a bit late but you could consider this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=191509

hi
    thats ok i have a 120gb +60gb +15gb harddrive (all ide)
    52 speed cd-rom (ide)
    16 speed cd burner (ide)
    4 speed dvd burner (usb)
    thermaltake xaserv v8000a case
    128mb agp graphics card
    a q-tek 450w gold psu the man in peats recomended this one
    will not buy in peats again
    so i will need a new psu

That PSU is a little dodgy TBH, especially when your going the ambisious route with a Mobile and Pc4000 memory........

It might hold up it might not, Q-Tec are pretty dodgy but i wouldnt go buying a new PSU just yet until you try it.

dunco wrote:
    hi
    thats ok i have a 120gb +60gb +15gb harddrive (all ide)
    52 speed cd-rom (ide)
    16 speed cd burner (ide)
    4 speed dvd burner (usb)
    thermaltake xaserv v8000a case
    128mb agp graphics card
    a q-tek 450w gold psu the man in peats recomended this one
    will not buy in peats again
    so i will need a new psu

They are all full of it in peats especially that Ryan.. Do what col_loki suggested and test the PSU first no need in buying another one at this stage.. but knowing Q-tec's ya probably might have to.

It's the gold q-tecs that have the really crap amps isn't it.

Luckily the mobile isn't too stressful on the 12v rail so you might be alright.

Good luck with the build and the overclocking mate. Hopefully you get a good 2400 mobile that will do at least 2.5ghz.

BloodBath

hi
    ok then i will give the psu a go before i buy a new one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭dixsey

hi any ideas where i can find a radeon x800xtagp version ive looked everywhere and cant find one in stock anywhere.whats the story with them have they stopped making them or what?

Advertisement