Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Binoculars info needed...

• 02-10-2004 8:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

I posted this in someone else's thread and did not get an answer, so hopefully someone will help...I saw a pair binoculars in that camera shop in Blanchardstown, cannot remember the make, but they were 16*50, and were not too expensive, about 130 or 150 IIRC. Would these be any use whatsoever. I have a pair 10*30 at home, and you really cannot see very much, even of the moon, would 10-50 allow me to see much more detail, or would 16*50 be better.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

Well the first number is the magnification and the second is the the size of the objective lens. For astronomy you're supposed to have at least 7 magnification I think, and at least 50 objective lens. When you divide the objective lens by the magnification you get a number related to the field of vision you get with the binocs. I read that 7mm is ideal for most people as it's the same size as your eye so you maximise the field of vision. 7x50 is a common choice for that reason. Basically 10x50 would give you less magnification but a larger field of vision than the 16x50. Best thing is to try them out before you decide I'd say. And Google for info. Because I barely know what I'm talking about here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭albertw

DS wrote:
    Basically 10x50 would give you less magnification but a larger field of vision than the 16x50.

Also because you are using a higher magnification in the 16x the image will be darker. Personally I would go for 10x50 or 10x70. You won't see that much more with the 16x, some more lunar detail perhaps. My binoculars are 10x50's from lidl costing EUR20!

Cheers,
    ~Al

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I have a pair of 10 by 50s myself too. They are fine for astronomy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

Don't have any myself but I'll certainly be paying Lidl a visit sometime in the next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭albertw

DS wrote:
    Don't have any myself but I'll certainly be paying Lidl a visit sometime in the next week.

The ones I got at least were on a secial they did, I dont think they have a regular supply. Its worth checking out their website every week or so as they often have astronomical related goodies, binoculars, telescopes, humidity detectors, hand warmers... :)

Cheers,
    ~Al

• Advertisement
Advertisement