Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking money to the U.S.

Options
  • 02-10-2004 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Few questions for ya...

Firstly, need to know the best way to take savings to the U.S. Myself and my husband are moving there in a few months and will need to take a few grand with us. He is from the US & therefore would have a bank account over there. Just wondering if anyone knows what charges would be imposed by transferring the money to this account?

Secondly, we also have an SSIA account with AIB that doesn't mature until a year after we leave. Just wondering if we would have problems taking that out of the country when the time comes?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

Try google, or better still have a word with your bank manager or solictor. Its definitly a subject you should be 100% on, think they have strick laws bringing money form overseas in the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

i know you have to declare if you are going to bring over $10,000 there. Id imagine there are hefty charges to transfer money but im not sure. I have a bank acc in America and every so often i brought a few grand over in bank drafts and lodged it there, worked fine for me. Theres no charges for transferring money from a Paypal account to a US bank, at least not to Busey Bank accounts anyway. Best talk to ur bank manager, best of luck moving. I'll be heading there in a few months myself with my wife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭tylerdylan

Hi
    It is fairly easy to transfer money from a/cs.When doing it from here you will
    need the sorting code of the bank in the us or the routing number as they call it.The $10,000.00 amount is applied to CASH.If you deposit a dime over $10,000.00 in cash the bank must report this to the IRS.This does not apply to cks etc.You also cannot leave or enter the US carrying it in cash.Bank transfers are very easy and are quick.There is usually a fee but there would be fees should you use cks and will take longer much longer!
    Hope this helps best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

My brother moved to France last year and he just paid Visa a huge cheque before he went putting his account in credit. When he got to France he just drew down the money from his credit card. Don't know if this helps at all you may want to do it with an amount of money rather than all your money. It might keep you under some limit.

Another legal way to bring money across borders is to but a pair of first class round the world tickets with Swissair. Don't use the tickets and bring them with you. Unless Swissair have recently changed their policy there is 100% refund available on first class tickets. Might be worth checking their current policy. ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement