Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Concert/Gig You've Been To?

Options
  • 02-10-2004 11:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭

I ain't been to nearly enough yet
    but one of my favs was Raging Speedhorn
    great stuff
    :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

In no particular order, here are 3 of the better ones, althought im sure im missing loads i cant think of right now.
    *dates may be wrong
    Milton Keynes - 1999 : ACDC , QOTSA, MEGADEATH.
    Temple Bar Mussic Centre - 2001 : My Dying Bride.
    ECCO, Utrecht - 2003 : Explosions in the sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

This is an odd one for me and I dont know why I enjoyed it so much it was probably the drugs consumed. Greenday at Witnness when they had the guys up playing guitar and stuff.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Im not 100% certain that the years listed are correct as most of these concerts were quite a while ago:) I know ive listed alot here but they are all as good as each other for different reasons.

1989 - Iron Maiden suported by Wolfsbane, Point Debut, - Dublin
    1990 - Death - McGonigles (sp?) (dublin) supported by Loudblast from France
    1992 - Sepultura & Paradise Lost - SFX Dublin - Sepultura in their prime on the Arise Tour.
    2002 - Tool - SFX Dublin
    2002 - Slayer, Cradle Of Filth, Biohazard + other bands at The Point
    2002 - Tool, System Of A Down, Slayer, American Head Charge, Mushroomhead + too many other bands too mention - Ozzfest '02 Kildare
    2003 - Motorhead, Soil, Raging Speedhorn, One Minute Silence - RDS (the security were terrible for the fans that day but Motorhead & Raging Speedhorn made up for the bitter feelings towards event staff earlier on in the day)
    2003 - Ministry - TBMC - Dublin
    2003 - Suicidal Tendencies - TBMC - Dublin
    2004 - Monster Magnet - Ambassador - Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

6 November 2000 - Smashing Pumpkins, Olympia
    7 June 2001 - Tool, SFX
    8 October 2001 - Tindersticks, Olympia
    7 December 2001 - Opeth, The Shelter (my 18th birthday, nice way to spend it)
    26 May 2002 - Tool, Ozzfest, Punchestown
    13 May 2003 - Neil Young, Vicar Street
    4, 5, 6 October 2003 - Nick Cave, Vicar Street
    31 March 2004 - Juan Martin & Arte Flamenco Puro, National Concert Hall
    4 April 2004 - Einstuerzende Neubauten, TBMC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Ive been to lots of good gigs but Radiohead at the olympia probably just shades it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Bloodstock 04 :) Bodom put on amasing show altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

placebo olympia 2000

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Either of the Radiohead gigs at the Olympia that I've been to (last year and just before The Bends came out) or David Byrne at the Ambassador last year would be my choices. It really is too hard to decide between those three.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

John2 wrote:
    7 December 2001 - Opeth, The Shelter (my 18th birthday, nice way to spend it)

That was seriously one of the best gigs I've ever been at. It was beyond unreal!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,925 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Best gigs i've been to:

The first Homecoming Slane gig for U2 with the Chili's and Coldplay supporting.
    Last year's Slane with the Chili's, Foo's, QOTSA, Feeder!

Green Day's gig at the Ambassador at the end of August!

Can't take my pick between these 3!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Belle & Sebastian at Oxegen this year.
    Never seen them before, amazingly brilliant.
    Went to London a few months ago to see Al Stewart. That was pretty brilliant to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

Ahh memories , memories... and some recent ones too!::

Rush 1980 at Hammersmith Odeon on the 3rd of 5 nights there.
    Rush Wembley Arena 81, 92, 88 and of course 2 weeks ago 0, 30th anniversary tour..all tremendous.
    78 Thin Lizzy/ Horslips wembley arena Live and Dangerous special 2 nights.
    1979 Horslips Hammersmith Odeon
    1979 Jethro Tull Hammersmith Odeon on THEIR 5 night stint at the Odeon.

Great live acts who would blast the balls off the mugs around now,.,,,oh thats right: Rush are STILL blasting the balls off today's so called class acts.,,,*laughs*

ciao' amigos..............Baggio.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭40crush41

ah yes, my favorite question, and my favorite answers:
    dmb -first dmb concert i went at madison square garden 12/21/02 =) "the god father of soul- james brown!" guest starred -dave and him had a dance war, great set list, great times
    -when i saw dave and tim, beautiful evening -found out that dave matthews could have been just as successful as a comedian,
    -dave and friends, best cover songs left and right -beatles, led zeppelin, simon and garfunkle, bob marley -crowd sang half the songs while dave just danced for us =D
    -and ending with dmb again -sat in 13th row center, i think dave waved to me... could see a big smile on boyd (the violinist) face and seeing carter beuford on the drums that close -the ease and perfection, and hes great big smile knowing hes enjoying every second, .. awesome awesome awesome

seeing timmy reynolds from a foot away and getting to shake his hand, that was exciting =D his hands were a blur for two hours..

and seeing simon and garfunkle in their reunion tour -that was neat, -historic moment and all =)

and bruce springsteen was incredible -my first concert ever and my first intoduction to that sweet smelling cloudy air. he even danced on a piano!

oh yes, and to mix it up a little.. just recently saw gloria estafan in concert. she had costume changes and everything!! =P had a really great violinist (i was in bliss -i play the violin =D) and 4 drum kits.. mmmmmm =) pleasantly surprised to say the least =)

acts i am to enjoy before i die -U2, Flecktones,coldplay, damien rice, Rush (yea baggio!), speaking of which wanna see -Opus (baggio's band)- agiven, playtoh, skandas, new colour soul.. and so on and so forth..

blah blah blah ... ~beth

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭nicryan

I'd be hard pushed to separate green day at the ambassador and POD at the, uhh, ambassador....

the ambassador has to be one of the best venues in dublin...

Nic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

Hey Beth 40crush41...thanx for the plug and kind words,,,yes some day you'll see us,,and maybe the 3 mastercraftsmen from Canada too!

ciao' amigo...Baggio.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

Most envious of baggio seeing Thin lizzy in 78' !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Yeah, my gigs sound pathetic in comparison.

Winner: The Mars Volta Witness '03
    Runners-up: Machine Head - Queens SU June 2004, Iron Maiden - The Point 2003, Therapy? and Bruce Dickinson - Queens SU May 2004

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Tattoo the planet whenever that was on with slayer and biohazard, or rancid there last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

In no order at all and only a small list

Opeth, The Shelter
    Sepultura & Paradise Lost - SFX Dublin
    Suicidal Tendencies - TBMC - Dublin
    Firebird - Whelans
    Megadeth - Point Depot 91 (i think)
    Pantera - SFX
    Machine Head - Ambassador
    Anthrax - Ambassador
    Metallica - Point Depot 92
    The Haunted - Whelans
    Entombed - The Village

and soon to be added to the list this coming Sunday

Obituary - The Village :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

I'd have to agree with Nadir, QOTSA definitly :D , then maybe Foos, (simpley cos dave grohl is dave grohl :cool: ) seen them too many times tho, but they were animal at witnness a few years ago after they played their lil gig in the ambassador...

...I'm not a big fan but i'd have to say the Manics at the last witnness (never will it be oxegen..long live witnness!!!) simply for the main reason that i didnt have to put any energy into jumping around, i'm rather ickle and ended up next to two HUGE lads..so as they jumped i endd up "jumping" too, it was great....

However for novelty value I really did enjoy the sugarhill gang, man i shook my booty that night ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Manics - Cork Opera House (can't remember date) - great set, small venue, class
    Foo Fighters - Point - 03
    Tool / SOAD - Ozzfest 02 - Tool are unreal live

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Radiohead @ Olympia
    Radiohead @ Hurricane fest
    Pixies @ Aerodrome fest
    Chilis @ Slane
    McCartney in Prague
    Orbital @ Oxegen

oh my god i forgot about the pixies. I should be shot. kim and frank i salute you and humbly beg ur forgiveness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Radiohead Punchestown 'n Belfast
    Metallica 2003 'n 2004
    Foo's @ Slane
    QoSA @ Slane

Angie Stone in Vicar St. Brilliant gig

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

oh and of course Pixies!!!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

erm only been to four but in order of favourite

Biffy clyro supporting the cooper temple clause (bit sad going to see a support)
    Biffy clyro supporting hundred reasons
    Idlewild
    Foo fighters

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Slayer/Machine Head/Downset - SFX 1994
    Sepultura - Brixton Academy 1996 (last ever show with Max)
    Pearl Jam - Point Depot 1996&2000
    Tool - SFX 2001
    At The Drive In/Murder City Devils/Clearshot - TBMC 2001
    Basement Jaxx - Witnness 2002
    Radiohead - Olympia 2003 (both shows)
    Jetplane Landing - Metro Club London 2003

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

rancid in the olympia, wow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mwoah

radiohead at glastonbury 2003
    i was at the very very very front & almost got squashed to death, no joke <there are no barriers/pit at the pyramid stage, & with over a hundred thousand people pushing up behind you its not v. fun> id been there from 11am cuz i wanted to make sure i had the best possible place to see them & wasnt allowing myself to drink water even though it was ridiculously hot cuz i didnt want to havta pee & lose my place. ended up being the only girl in like a 20m radius cuz they all started dropping like flies. waited through ozomatli, jools holland, jimmy cliff, polyphonic spree, turin brakes, supergrass & flaming lips until radiohead finally came out at around 11pm
    ...and my god was it worth it!!!

• Advertisement

i am so jealous..you lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky thing....if only i'd a time machine..or had a helicopter at the time (because the tickets went and i could really make an enterancre).. well coming to think of it helicopters are xpensive..so maybe just a ticket at the time...yea, a lot less hassle then a time machine, or absailing down from a helicopter... :D

Advertisement