Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Concert/Gig You've Been To?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Treebeard

uh lets see

Dream Theater - Vicar St - 2002
    Roger Waters - The Point- 2002
    The Darkness - Vicar St - 2003
    Muse - The Olympia - 2004

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Alana wrote:
    I'd have to agree with Nadir, QOTSA definitly :D , then maybe Foos, (simpley cos dave grohl is dave grohl :cool: ) seen them too many times tho, but they were animal at witnness a few years ago after they played their lil gig in the ambassador...

...I'm not a big fan but i'd have to say the Manics at the last witnness (never will it be oxegen..long live witnness!!!) simply for the main reason that i didnt have to put any energy into jumping around, i'm rather ickle and ended up next to two HUGE lads..so as they jumped i endd up "jumping" too, it was great....

QOTSA at Slane last year were pretty damn good, the Foos were a real letdown IMO, not up to much at all.

And the Manics at Witness were pretty crap TBH, I enjoyed it a lot because of the massive adreneline rush that happened right in the middle of the Mars Volta (now *they* were good) and all the other fantastic stuff that happened that day, but Manics were pretty lifeless that night.

I could have been that big bastard that did the jumping. It was me and another big guy both bouncing, with 2 girls beside us, one who seemed quite happy to be propelled and on bitch who kept kicking me and eventually went for the balls, which is just not on. If you don't want to get jumped about then don't come to the front of a rock gig, they are not civilised affairs :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭wanwarlock

ferdi wrote:
    rancid in the olympia, wow.

my best gig ever!!!!!!! my fave punk band!!!! i went berserk when they played roots radicals....

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Faddymackshyte

I think for sure The Leeds festival this summer with TBS, F4AF, Green Day, Lostprophets, Thrice etc.Twas amazing.
    Back here on home soil:
    F4AF in TBMC
    F4AF in The Ambassador
    Idlewild supporting Coldplay in the Point

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

(alphabetical order :D)

Interpol in the Scala, London
    Killers in the Forum, London
    Kings Of Leon in the TBMC, Dublin
    Powderfinger in the Olympia, Dublin
    Snow Patrol in the Ambassador, Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

The gathering@the village 2003
    Napalm Death@the village 2004
    New wave of american metal@ambassador 2004

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Metallica, the 2nd last time that they played the Point Theatre (1997, I think). Fantastic pre-Load thrashfest. And I was in the pit too. Brilliant!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Converge in Voodoo Lounge earlier this year. Mental vibe, mental mosh, mental music.

Slayer in the SFX (on the Diablos tour) were nuts - I wasn't so much of a fan of theirs at the time, so some of the impact was lost on me, but jesus! :) At Ozfest they destroyed.

Fury Fest of course - not so much a gig as a festival, but it was mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

The Distillers At the Ambassador. it was ****ing legend. iwas running around soaking wet at the end

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Bard wrote:
    Metallica, the 2nd last time that they played the Point Theatre (1997, I think). Fantastic pre-Load thrashfest. And I was in the pit too. Brilliant!

1996, and that was a pretty amazing show all right. The collapsing stage was cool!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

JJ72: the Savoy Oct 2002
    Athlete: the Village Oct 2003

Here's hoping Divine Comedy: Everyman Oct 2004 will continue the trend!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭jesusjones

Either Manic Street preachers The point 2002

or this last Monday When Ash played 10.That absoulety rocked!And Charlotte was looking great as an added bonus. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

AC/DC in The Point on their Ballbreaker tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Radiohead '95 Galway
    The Doors '04 Wiesen
    As for third can't decide between concerts from:
    Ash (95 I think), Supergrass(95 support to Blur - who were sh1t), REM(2000 or was it 2001 in Lansdowne) or Scissor Sisters (2004 Linz - but it was very short).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

glassjaw- last year in TBMC
    hell is for heroes-last year in TBMC too

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

The Haunted, supported by Stampin' Ground and December in Whelan's. February 2003 I think.

Great gig altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Anthrax - 2004 - Ambassador
    Supported by Stomping grounds

Class gig altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

1/ MUSE @ Witnness - 04/08/01
    2/ MUSE @ The Olympia - 23/02/04
    3/ MUSE @ Randalls Island, NY - 31/07/04
    4/ MUSE @ Dublin Castle - 05/05/02

The Distillers At the Ambassador. it was ****ing legend. iwas running around soaking wet at the end

What?! Are you very small or something?! I like the Distillers and went to that gig and straight away realised that I had no concept of who the Distillers were really aimed at, because it was full of 15-18 yr. old hoodie/skateboard kids, but very bored looking parents watching from afar. It was terrible, I actually left and came back when I reckoned the Distillers would be one, I felt that out of place.

Then, when they did come on, to be fair they were very good, but played a very short set comprising of mostly new stuff. And the crowd were crap, it was full of little squirts who clearly had no idea what was going on, so I just decided to ignore everyone and just headbang on my own. A circle formed around me as I got on with it, and everyone else left me alone.

Such a sorry little gig it was, despite the fact that the band played rather well. My recommendation is that you go to a real punk or metal gig at somepoint, the sooner the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

My recommendation is that you go to a real punk or metal gig at somepoint, the sooner the better.

I went to Iggy and the Stooges that day instead, fúcking great.

Can't really choose a best gig, yet some of my favourites include J Mascis at Whelans (November 2002), Guided by Voices at The Ambassador (August 2002), Pixies at London Brixton Academy (June 2004) and Radiohead at The Point (December 2003).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭X-Dawg

These are the best gigs I have been to:

Sunstroke 1995 - RDS (23 Aug 1995).
    Reading Festival '95.
    Metallica - Point Theatre (9th Oct 1996).
    Pearl Jam - Point Theatre (26 Oct 1996).
    Lemonheads - Olympia (25 Feb 1997).
    dEUS - Mean Fiddler (16 Oct 1997).
    Bob Dylan - Point Theatre (14th Sep 2000).
    Australian Pink Floyd - Olympia (11th Dec 2001).
    Roger Waters - Point (24th June 2002).
    Tenacious D - Olympia (18th Mar 2003).
    Audioslave - Point Theatre (18th June 2003).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭TattyTeddy

slane 2003, red hot chillis -gan dabht ar bith!

Freak Scen - Pixies, I bet that was good. Lots of stupidly happy people :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Originally Posted by Bard

was that not the load tour?

Top gig all the same

Andrew WK in the temple music centre last year (coulda been this year ... can't remember)

Sepultura in music centre last year (could also have been this year)

Anthrax in the ambassador last year (saw them in sfx a few years ago too ... was stuck behind some dude who kept getting his hair in my mouth .. the bastard)

Megadeth ... in SFX .. 95 I think....

Sunstroke in the RDS would have been listed if it hadn't been for Soundgarden and Mudhoney slowing everything down ... but white zombie were great.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

I've seen some very cool bands, but made a trip to Chicago last spring and saw Billy Corgan's first solo acoustic gig and A Perfect Circle and they were the two single most impressive gigs I was ever at. Apart from seeing two ex-pumpkins members in a weekend, corgan made the show really special, interacting with the crowd and previewing a lot of new solo stuff.. Jimmy Chamberlin was in the audience too. And I was never a big APC fan, but seeing them live gave me a whole new appreciation of them, their show was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Cactus Col wrote:
    Originally Posted by Bard

was that not the load tour?

You're right you know. Support from Corrosion of Conformity, Metallica opened with So What IIRC, and Lars had at least three drum kits at various points on the stage. I was stood in front of Jason for most of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Muse at the Olympia - Feb 04
    Excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Download festival 2004-Metallica,Slayer,Korn,Machine Head,Slipknot,Hatebreed,Soulfly,36 Crazyfists,Akercocke

Metallica 03&04 in RDS(twice in one month in 04)

Slipknot 04 in RDS(Also twice in one month)

Korn 02(RDS) & 04(point)(Again twice in one month)

Killswitch Engage,Chimaira,Shadows Fall & God Forbid in 04 (Ambassador)

Machine Head on October 31st 03

Audioslave

31st oct 04 hasn't arrived yet...

I presume you're talking about the Audioslave gig in the Point in Jun '03. That was actually pretty damn good, although it was incredibly warm, even by the Point's standards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Cactus Col wrote:
    Sunstroke in the RDS would have been listed if it hadn't been for Soundgarden and Mudhoney slowing everything down ... but white zombie were great.

Amen!!!

Advertisement