Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Concert/Gig You've Been To?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Cactus Col wrote:

Sunstroke in the RDS would have been listed if it hadn't been for Soundgarden and Mudhoney slowing everything down ... but white zombie were great.

That was the only show I have ever been genuinely scared whilst in a crowd, and I was at the infamous Smashing Pumpkins Point Depot show. 30 minutes of utter mayhem at the front for White Zombie, it was equal parts exhilarating and terrifying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭cajun_tiger

went to see them in june best gig ever... never had so much fun.... girl in the mosh pitt with blonde hair and black dress!!! wow brill.......

fear factory back in 1999 was pretty cool too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Eldarin

Metallica in the Monsters of rock Tour in Donington 1987 at the right old age of 8. My uncle brought me along. Can't remember for the life of me who else played as at the time I wasn't interested but that was the gig of all gigs for me.

Cheers
    Eldarin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭latimer

Warped Tour in Vancouver July 2003... Rancid, Dropkick Murphys, Pennywise, Thrice, Matchbook Romance, Andrew WK (crazy bastard), Rufio, the Ataris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭avatar

um... The Frames played Castlebar a few weeks back, and they were amazing, even if they didn't play Fitzcarraldo. It's not the same league as some of the concerts you guys mentioned, but I don't get out to a lot of concerts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Iron Maiden last december was a damn good gig. Bloodstock however will remain my favourite. Over the last two years getting to see so many good groups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

lets hope deicide will be my new one
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Iron Maiden last december was a damn good gig. Bloodstock however will remain my favourite. Over the last two years getting to see so many good groups.

you're right! .. Maiden was a great gig once they got on stage ... funeral for a friend opening it though ... what a disappointment ... worst performance I've ever seen ... ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

The last ozzfest!
    The last Metallica gig with Slipknot supporting!.....lost prophets are ****!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

deftones heven't played over here in a loooong time i'd love to see them come over here. oh and poison the well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Pearl Jam at the Point, the second time.
    Bleedin' Deadly !!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Sonic Titan

Mine is Massacre, Morgoth and Immolation in McGonagles in 1991.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Just saw Einstuerzende Neubauten twice in Berlin. The first of the two gigs was by far the most religous experience I've had in my life. They performed with backing from a "choir" of 100 people (myself included) and did half an hour of older songs and 1.5 hours of new material, instructing the choir as they went along. The performance finished with the entire crowd playing specially constructed tables made of various pieces of scrap metal. My ears, throat and hands are killing me but it was worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭flangeman

Little known band at the time called the White Stripes in a wee tiny club (less than a hundred definitly) called the 100 Club on Oxford Street, London about 3 and a half years ago.

Even talked somebody who was there into chatting to her good 'drummer' self. I totally didn't know who they were and we got the tickets by accident.

Great feckin gig I tell ya.

Also, Orbital at the Olympia many moons ago, although I was only on pints (while everybody else in the place was on other things begining with 'p' and five letters in it) I was amazed (especially when they threw the switch on the suspiciouslly unused lamps to the side of the stage during 'Satan', I actually felt the heat glow, like sitting in a sun booth). Even the excited, 'pilled' Leitrim head beside me (up by himself expecially for the gig) elevated the whole thing to a new level of excitment.

Quickfact:Orbital are named after the Orbital ringroad around London which they pretty much played all the time in easy reach of the city for all the raves. There ya go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

sat 26 Aug 1995 Neil Young, RDS - Mirrorball Tour, backing band were Pearl Jam, minus Vedder. My first gig..... :D
    Therapy? After Christmas 95. The Point, ****ing great gig,
    Deftones with One Minute Silence- SFX - January 98.
    3 colours red TBMC 18 feb 98
    Kerbdog in The Mean Fiddler, 7 March 98 last gig as Kerbdog, Support from a mental Cyclefly.
    Pitchshifter in Mean Fiddler, 9 Feb 99
    Bruce Sprinsteen and the E-Street Band RDS May 99
    Everlast, In the HQ/hall of fame July 99
    Sick Off It All + 2000 Strong TBMC Sep 99
    Hatebreed, Whelans. 31 Oct 02
    The Haunted, Stampin Ground Whelans Feb 2003

Also The Blue Moon Boys in Eamon Dorans but can't remember the date, think it was this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭frodi

Suzanne Vega in the National Stadium circa 1985/6. I've seen her twice since then in the Olympia and in Chirstchurch but these were awful compared to that first gig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Bruce Arch

Peter Gabriel in Vancouver in December 2003 (Growing Up Tour). Best show ever seen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

The Pogues in McGonigles Nite (sic) Club in Dublin sometime in 1983 (possibly their first gig in Dublin)

That was the only show I have ever been genuinely scared whilst in a crowd, and I was at the infamous Smashing Pumpkins Point Depot show. 30 minutes of utter mayhem at the front for White Zombie, it was equal parts exhilarating and terrifying.

It was great though ... "You guys like the Cranberries?!"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Cactus Col wrote:
    you're right! .. Maiden was a great gig once they got on stage ... funeral for a friend opening it though ... what a disappointment ... worst performance I've ever seen ... ever

I dunno, I managed to avoid Funeral For A Friend at the Maiden gig but I was subjected to them when they were supporting Therapy in Belfast in May, and I have to hand it to them - they had one fantastic track. They did a cover of "Black Sabbath" with Bruce Dickinson doing the vocals and it came across really well and really got the audience going too. I have a bootleg version of it but I'm sure theres one out there for download somewhere.

But yes, that Maiden gig was great, not as good as Mars Volta at Witness '03 though....

• Advertisement

I felt bad for them, went in hearing good things about Funeral for a friend, and they proceeded to suck, there was pretty much no interaction with the crowd, the singer barely even looked at the audience .. looking anywhere but into the crowd .. and absolutely no stage presence .. seemed to be dwarfed by the stage.

Although I do remember thinking that they'd probably be better in a small venue. Maybe the music centre would be more suitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

Therapy in the city arts centre 1991.
    Any of the four Rocket From The Crypt Dublin shows but the TBMC 2002 was an especially good one.

One of the best gigs I ever saw was a Dublin band called Jove in the hub. I'd never heard of them before. Me and my mate Karl were locked, wanted to get our dance on, check out the chicks etc. We arrived half way through their set and were totally speechless. Such a nice change from the usual singer/songwriter s***e you have to listen to when you go out in Dublin these days.
    The others would be:
    Pumpkins in Brixton Academy 94
    Beastie Boys in RDS in 95
    White Zombie/Soundgarden etc. in the RDS in 96
    David Bowie in the Olympia in 98. (His Point shows were better, but there was something about seeing the Duke in the Olympia) :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Ren0

Metallica - Dublin

36 Crazyfists - Belfast

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Wilt - TBMC - cant remember the date :) BUT, it was the gig they filmed the video for 'No Worries'. twas a class gig, one of the best I was ever at

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Cactus Col wrote:
    I felt bad for them, went in hearing good things about Funeral for a friend, and they proceeded to suck, there was pretty much no interaction with the crowd, the singer barely even looked at the audience .. looking anywhere but into the crowd .. and absolutely no stage presence .. seemed to be dwarfed by the stage.

Although I do remember thinking that they'd probably be better in a small venue. Maybe the music centre would be more suitable.

They supported Therapy in the Mandella hall in Belfast - they did one good track, a cover of Black Sabbath - with Bruce Dickinson on vocals.

Theres a bootleg of it, but I'm not sure whether the charter will land on my head if I post the link, since it's probably copyrighted....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Bob Dylan - The Point

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Dr Feelgood - Edinburgh 1991 - hot and sweaty

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Papa Smut wrote:
    One of the best gigs I ever saw was a Dublin band called Jove in the hub. I'd never heard of them before. Me and my mate Karl were locked, wanted to get our dance on, check out the chicks etc. We arrived half way through their set and were totally speechless. Such a nice change from the usual singer/songwriter s***e you have to listen to when you go out in Dublin these days.
    They're a new band , rite ? Are they 5/6 piece band ? Think they played with Aslan Christmas 2003 , was impressed myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

Mars Volta at the London astoria in dec 03 to whoever mentioned witness mars volta as their fav, for the love of god see them in a proper venue witness was piss poor compared :(

Advertisement