Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stew

• 03-10-2004 12:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭

quite funny in parts -
    not sure that I like Paul Tylak (he was annoying in Fair City and Last Days of Dublin and is annoying here) and the alcoholic guy Patrick McDonnell (aka Eoin McLove) is his usual obnoxious self

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    quite funny in parts -
    not sure that I like Paul Tylak (he was annoying in Fair City and Last Days of Dublin and is annoying here) and the alcoholic guy (aka Eoin McLove) is his usual obnoxious self
    i laughed a couple of times, mostly at the farm sketch, but yeah it was alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

I watched this tonight and I don't think I laughed once during the whole show. Just seemed completely unfunny to me. If this is the best RTE can come up with in terms of a sketch show, then God help us! :rolleyes:

I get the impression it's kind of supposed to be RTE's version of "The Fast Show", i.e., various sketches, recurring characters and catchphrases ("It's a plastic sh!te!"), but "The Fast Show" it most certainly ain't, I'm afraid.

I'll keep watching it to see if it gets any better, but I'm not holding out much hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

yeah but its a step in the right direction, you gotta admit that, at least they are trying to produce their own stuff. which lets face it, RTE made stuff is pretty on the low side.....or crap side.....ok time to shut up, its late

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

I had to switch over it was that bad ..The worst thing I've EVER seen on tv .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I lasted 2 mins, not long enough to know if it was funny but long enough to hate the lame audience laughter...

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Yeah it was funny in parts.

I might take a look at it on monday.

The laughter was lame.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Yep, the funny points were very few & far between. A bit pathetic tbh. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

just watched the tape again with someone else
    definitely less laughs the second time
    and Paul Tylak is positively grotesque

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

At the end of part one, I turned the telly off and went to bed. I was going to stay up and write some stuff, but that show ruined the rest of the evening. Tripe. I want my licence money back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

I feel asleep with it on and woke up with a terrible creak in my neck this morning. I'm going to put in a claim for compensation from RTE for the discomfort caused.,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

It was better than i thought it was going to be... the farm sketchs were very funny... especially the one with the goat... and also the sketch about the kid burying the animal in the garden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

god damned canned laughter

funny in places, dont think i'll make time for this show again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭T.G Catter

i really wanted to give the show a go and laugh at the sketches, but i just didn't find anything funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

It's a pity because "Paths to Freedom" was excelent they should really repeat that show, I didn't get to see it fully the first time round. The last espisode was very funny.

Pity about its Movie spin off.

Paths to Freedom has got to be the best thing EVER on RTE ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

what makes it like the fast show?

didn't see it, but from the description above it sounds just as much like little britain as it does the fast show ... pretty generic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Am I the only one who finds some of the sketches blatantly racist/racially offensive?

Less than 1/3 of the sketches are remotely funny and the canned laughter is so irritating!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

RTE can't do good comedy...that is why the best thing that they ever did was NOT to make Fr. Ted...the sketches are woeful!!! And not funny!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sixpack

I was actually at the preview in RTE when they recorded the laughter.. I have to say when I saw it first I thought it was funny (episode 1 and 5 were the funniest)...I watched it the other night on RTE2 and found the laughter painful.. It actually sounds like canned laughter!! RTE - why oh why !! You should have had 2 previews ..One with the laughter and one without !!!! Its doesn't look to bright for the new RTE2 !!! But then again you will probably pull the program before it developes... Like you usually do.. Change of program director I think !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

Terrible, terrible , terrible. On the basis of the first episode, RTE simply doesn't have the writing talent to produce a quality comedy sketch show. I don't think I saw even one remotely funny moment. It's well accepted that TV comedy is very difficult to do well, and this show probably proves it. The canned laughter was brutal. I'm actually getting angry as I type this - thinking how bad the show was.

[Happy thoughts, happy thoughts....]

Anyway, it's a shame because home-produced stuff should always be encouraged, otherwise we'd end up with another TV3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

robo wrote:
    RTE can't do good comedy...
    Two words, Bull Island. Or is that produced by a seperate company and only sold to and aired on RTE?
    robo wrote:
    the sketches are woeful!!! And not funny!
    Agreed, this was brutal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

jor el wrote:
    Two words, Bull Island. Or is that produced by a seperate company and only sold to and aired on RTE?

Ah yes Bull Island, that was excellent, very funny, 1 decent comedy show in 40 years, congrats to RTE!!!
    And even more congratulations to RTE for pulling the plug on the show!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

It had to be the most unfunny thing Ive ever seen.I didnt laugh once all night on rte's big name change night.It was the most unfunny night of television ever.As for podge and rodge, they too are unfunny, they think by throwing in a few curse words that they will get some laughs.Not off me anyway.RTE is a shambles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

I agree with you regarding Stew. I completely disagree with you about Podge & Rodge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I actually thought it was very funny... " If we were in holland you couldnt sneak off because youd be wearing clogs and Id hear yah "

hehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Tusky wrote:
    " If we were in holland you couldnt sneak off because youd be wearing clogs and Id hear yah "

it had one or two funny moments like that one but thats not enough to watch it every week. 80% load of bollox. "here have a plastic ****e" :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Absolute tripe-unbelievable.Watched the whole thing and didnt even come close to laughing once.RTE really are just awful as someone said earlier the best thing they ever did was not making Fr.Ted it doesnt bare thinking about how awful it could have been if they made it.

The laughter was riseable but get past that and the jokes are even more annoying than the **** laughter same goes for that crap new D'Unbelievables ****e that was on Sunday-when will people realise he's incredibly dull and unfunny-just like "Stew".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I liked the sketch with the ransom delivery and the guy wanted his briefcase back.

There were a few other sketches that were okay too. But nothing that would make you laugh out loud.

I really hope we don't have to put up with 'it's a plastic shite' and '25 years off the booze' for the duration of the whole series though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I liked the sketch with the ransom delivery and the guy wanted his briefcase back.

That was by far the best part, and I still found myself staring in a mixture of confusion and despair. I could see that sketch being funny in other circumstances, I really could, but somewhere between the script and the screening it got brutally violated with a traffic cone wrapped in barbed wire. Is this really the best they could come up with?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Gaijin

I'm surprised that the majority of people don't seem to like it. I'll admit there are some bits which are ****e!(mainly the plastic ****e!) But for the most part I thought it was very good. I'll be tuning in monday!!

Paul Tylak is grotesque
    Paul Tylak is grotesque
    Paul Tylak is grotesque
    Paul Tylak is grotesque
    Paul Tylak is grotesque
    Paul Tylak is grotesque

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    Paul Tylak is grotesque
    Paul Tylak is grotesque
    Paul Tylak is grotesque
    Paul Tylak is grotesque
    Paul Tylak is grotesque
    Paul Tylak is grotesque

Heh, that should be on their opening credits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

Just watched it. It's absolutely rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Saw it for the first time tonight. Its also the last time. How a programme can get away with such obvious canned laughter amazes me. Some of the sketches were so surreal that you're just left scratching your head, going "Wha?"

Paul Tylak is grotesque
    Paul Tylak is grotesque
    Paul Tylak is grotesque
    Paul Tylak is grotesque
    Paul Tylak is grotesque
    Paul Tylak is grotesque

Paul Tylak is grotesque
    Paul Tylak is grotesque
    Paul Tylak is grotesque
    Paul Tylak is grotesque
    Paul Tylak is grotesque
    Paul Tylak is grotesque

I am deadly serious.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

maybe if I was stoned..

really... really stoned

I might smile at some of the jokes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭cmcquaid

was i the only one that thought that the fella with the walking stick who went around sniffing peoples piss and puke was the worst character in tv history

It's ALL rubbish . We should e-mail RTE and let them know what we think of their money wasting exploits .

FFS re runs of Wonderly Wagon would be money better spent !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I vaguely recollect not remembering this (if that makes any sense). I think I flicked into it at some stage, realised it was utter tripe and that there was nothing else on and consequently turned off the TV. If only more people would do the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 cheddox

I think some of the sketches are actually quite good (e.g. the two ould ones watching the famine reports on TV..."Sure that happened last year in Tullamore"), but adding a laughter track was a terrible decision. Eventually you train yourself to filter it out.

Maybe if people stuck with this they'd get to like it? I know I wasn't impressed by Little Britain on first viewing, and thought Seinfeld was the biggest load of crap ever when it used to be on Sky One. Now they're two of my favourite things to watch. Doubt if Stew will last long enough though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I didn't think it was all that bad, it made me laugh quite a few times and it gets funnier as you get to know the characters. Give stew a chance!

I just put it on for 31 seconds and it nearly made me puke ....Its that bad ...

I hate Stew (Unless its me mam's stew and then its great !!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

simu wrote:
    I didn't think it was all that bad, it made me laugh quite a few times and it gets funnier as you get to know the characters. Give stew a chance!

I agree!

I think some of it is crap and some of it is funny. Which reminds me an awful lot of my first impressions of The Fast Show.

Now, the more you watched The Fast Show the more brilliant it got and that may yet apply to Stew.

However, I do think that some of it is a little too similar to the fast show (by similar I mean "ripped off") for example the guy who is reminded of his lover by everything (the old guy in the chair on the Fast Show) and the DIY guy "It was something I had to do" (which I think is quite funny) is very like several Fast Show sketches - "Oh, I've just come" etc etc

all the same, I'll reserve my judgement for a few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭begbie

Complete crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭unme

STEW has all the appearance of comedy program that was cobbled together to a "Go Make A Sketch Program Like The BBC" brief. The jokes and humour seem to be an afterthought.

And when they think they have a joke, they will strangle the hell out of it until you wish they had never started. There is a difference between being funny and being an eejit.. a difference obviously lost on the producers of STEW.

Indeed, there are some very strange characters in this show - makes you cringe when you think that they might even syndicate this out to stations in other countries at some stage in the future. I imagine that the only interest that another TV station would have in this crap is to laugh at the thick Paddies. :-(((

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

ITs painful to watch, there are some bases of good ideas there which should be made into a show, but its the same crap over and over again, not even between shows, its the same crap repeated in the 2nd half of it... Awful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Tara Flynn is just not a funny person. Have seen her on X-it file(not sure if that's the right name), The Panel and plenty of other things but she's never made me laugh. Still, someone must like her if she's still on TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭thebigmc

the guy jogging who stops and tries to help people with phones laptops etc is very funny- most of the rest seems rubbish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Damoxxx

I felt Stew was indeed poor at best. Never laughed once. I'm glad others on this board feel the same, I thought I was the only one who just didn't find it funny. It seems that the producers never considered giving the sketchs a punchline. Making the audience laugh seemed to be the last thing oin their agenda. Stew was written by comediens who are used to stand up, not writing sketchs. This was a show designed by a commitee (of amatures).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Pretty damn poor tbh - But better than the abysmal, awful, cringeworthy, headshakingly bad Naked Camera.

Which was done by the same guys. Maybe it was a conspiracy to get Stew back on the air: If we make another show even worse RTE will be forced to put Stew back on!

No?

Ok, fine. It's fcuking inexplicable.:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement