Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it legal to have a club over say 20's...?Worst reason given for being refused..?

• 03-10-2004 1:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

Right I'm fairly petite and am constantly gettting asked for ID (even when i make the effort of wearing a really low cut top and a short skirt..thats called a tuesday..you should see what a fridays like.. :D ..sigh...joking by the way i do not dress as a slapper..well..)so I dont really get bothered by it but the other night I was heading into a certain establishment and I was told that because I was not quite 20 I wasnt allowed in..to me that seems a load of b*llix, why have the age at 20, why not 21...? And is it legal for them to do that...ok i suppose it's their club/bar and they can do what they like in some regards..

I'm glad i'm not a guy going out sometimes, i've seen the hassle it takes for actual nice guys to get into places just because there are some actul wombats out there who like to act the arse.

Anyway

Went out with one of my friends once, he was a decorator for a summer and had just finished a days work when i met him for a pint to give him a suit he asked me to pick up for him from a friend for a wedding or something. We headed to this pub and were refused in because of his shoes..so he promptly took out the fancy debs shoes out of the bag and changed his shoes on the street..the doorman laughed and let him in..

Whats the most ridiculous reason you've ever been given for not being allowed into a fine establishment...?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭tovalee

Alana wrote:
    I was told that because I was not quite 20 I wasnt allowed in..to me that seems a load of b*llix, why have the age at 20, why not 21...?

but you still wouldnt have been allowed in if the age was 21,right? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

strange this topic came up tonite.
    i went into town tonite with some friends late and by the time i met them they were headin to the club.
    so i didnt get a chance to get a drink.i walked up to the door of the place,everything was going grand,went up to the bouncer,he "roared" NO into my face and pushed me onto the road. i went up to him a few seconds later and asked him what the problem was? he turned round to me and told me " I dont like you, infact,i really dont like you so **** off,your barred for life" :eek:
    i never even met him before and never go to the club?
    w@nkers:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

flannerys in rathmines by any change.

no Bozos in Athlone.
    Stay away.This town is a hole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

friend of mine moving there soon. might head up for a weekend some time. see what the women are like. he is going to e working in the new aldi store.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭wiw4

Alana wrote:
    Right I'm fairly petite and am constantly gettting asked for ID (even when i make the effort of wearing a really low cut top and a short skirt..thats called a tuesday..you should see what a fridays like.. :D ..sigh...)so I dont really get bothered by it but the other night I was heading into a certain establishment and I was told that because I was not quite 20 I wasnt allowed in..to me that seems a load of b*llix, why have the age at 20, why not 21...? And is it legal for them to do that...ok i suppose it's their club/bar and they can do what they like in some regards..

I'm glad i'm not a guy going out sometimes, i've seen the hassle it takes for actual nice guys to get into places just because there are some actul wombats out there who like to act the arse.

Anyway

Went out with one of my friends once, he was a decorator for a summer and had just finished a days work when i met him for a pint to give him a suit he asked me to pick up for him from a friend for a wedding or something. We headed to this pub and were refused in because of his shoes..so he promptly took out the fancy debs shoes out of the bag and changed his shoes on the street..the doorman laughed and let him in..

Whats the most ridiculous reason you've ever been given for not being allowed into a fine establishment...?

Sounds like the actions of one QBAR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭wiw4

The only thing that annoys me is that the laws state that the license holder is the person in charge of who enters the club not the bald-headed thugs who man the doors.

The stupidest reason i got was: no reason
    as apparently:
    "Under the Equality Act 2002 we dont have to give a reason, as that could be considered discrimination."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Best thing to do is to keep an eye out in the local papers and lodge an objection to their licence being renewed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Penfolds

chrismon wrote:
    ,went up to the bouncer,he "roared" NO into my face and pushed me onto the road.

If he actually shoved you and you weren't inside the premises then you could actually report him to the gardai. He'd be allowed use reasonable force necessary to remove you from the establishment, but if you were standing on the footpath and hadn't entered the premises, then his actions towards you would be technically a form of an assault on you !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

And I'm sure they would care. Deeply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

security on clubs/bars etc is 90% run by paramilitaries/criminal gangs, don't be concerned if the scum turn u away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Penfolds

And I'm sure they would care. Deeply.

They're obliged to take a note of and investigate any alleged assualts, and any complaints against a licensed establishment to the gardai are meant to be submitted for consideration when the licence next comes up for renewal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Alana wrote:
    ....... i make the effort of wearing a really low cut top and a short skirt..thats called a tuesday..you should see what a fridays like.. :D ..sigh...

I am a person of little or no imagination, and as such, would need to see pictures of Tuesday and Friday attire to compare and contrast.

Post em up, lady.

Penfolds wrote:
    If he actually shoved you and you weren't inside the premises then you could actually report him to the gardai. He'd be allowed use reasonable force necessary to remove you from the establishment, but if you were standing on the footpath and hadn't entered the premises, then his actions towards you would be technically a form of an assault on you !

there is a big court case coming up against them soon enough,i would have been in the front door and not on the footpath,so theres not alot i can do about it,ill prob end up getting a beating from a RaNdOm stranger if i reported him.

not to worried about them tho,new club opening in a few weeks anyway :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

my mate was refused from a dublin club because the boucer asked him his star sign (to check whether or not he knew the date of borth on his idea, trying to catch him out like) my mate gave the correct star signand was then refused entry to the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

chrismon wrote:
    there is a big court case coming up against them soon enough,i would have been in the front door and not on the footpath,so theres not alot i can do about it,ill prob end up getting a beating from a RaNdOm stranger if i reported him.

not to worried about them tho,new club opening in a few weeks anyway :cool:
    Dunno anything about the court case but he's right in expecting a beating from a "random" stranger if he reported them. The bouncers in that particular club are practically all players with the Local AIB league division1 rugby team, in other words not guys you'd want on your trail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Any 'fine establishment' that wont let me in automatically gets moved to my 'unfine' establishment list.

Qbar has been the scene of most of my incidents of random bouncer denials. Whelans once coz I was 'drunk' (after only 3 pints too!) after having just let 2 mates in who could barely stand. Female friend then harrased the bouncer for 10mins until he weakened and let me in. (I was standing and looking angelic for those 10mins). On the way in he muttered.....I'll be watching you.

To be fair tho Dublin bouncers are some of the more reasonable ones I have found. Especially since I have an english accent that causes them to scan the surrounds looking for the rest of my stag party :D

I also sometimes get a thoughtful look on me which can also be mistaken for vacant and/or drunk. :cool:

Alana have you ever been refused as a 'Tuesday' and come back as a 'Friday'??

I support Embee's call for evidence!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Wearing a short skirt and low cut top doesnt neccesarily get you in everywhere, it will in redz\coyote where the bouncers know you'll have money spent on you for showing a bit of leg.

In some places, Cafe en Seine etc they'l think "out of place"\skangerish without even looking past your clothes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

ferdi wrote:
    my mate was refused from a dublin club because the boucer asked him his star sign (to check whether or not he knew the date of borth on his idea, trying to catch him out like) my mate gave the correct star signand was then refused entry to the club.

Bouncer probably didn't know if it was right or not...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

Quote "(even when i make the effort of wearing a really low cut top and a short skirt..thats called a tuesday..you should see what a fridays like.. ..sigh...joking by the way i do not dress as a slapper..well..)"

Right I'm going to make myself clear here for those of ye who dont have a sense of humour and dont get jokes :rolleyes:

..I don't always go out dressed like a slapper, very rarely would i combine two little items for many reasons 1) I know how easily it is for guys to get the wrong idea 2) I'm over 18, I'm 20 in a few mnths and I dont need to rely on my assests and nearly getting pneumonia to get into a club-thats what my age card is for, yes i am petite but i dont look like i'm 12! 3) I rarely go to places like coyote or Qbar because they either are full of underage kids(as i myself well know having been a regular there about 3 years ago..memories..), guys who will literally screw anything that walks, pretentious knob-heads-notably the latter, the drinks are way over-priced and its impossible to get a decent whiskey in there anyway.Once again I'm being humourous(i feel that i need to xplain myself here as several ppl find it difficult to not take things seriously all the time) and i dont mean to offend any regular of those establishments.

I just like to go out dancing every now and again in somewhere that isnt my usual watering hole, and find these places have a slightly strange if not haphazard door policy.. :confused:

Alana wrote:
    Right I'm going to make myself clear here for those of ye who dont have a sense of humour and dont get jokes :rolleyes:

..I don't always go out dressed like a slapper, very rarely would i combine two
    little items for many reasons

Since mine is one of only 2 posts that referenced the Tuesday/Friday thing, I assume you have taken what was meant to be a continuation of the joke as an insult. I certainly never intended to imply you were a slapper. Apologies if thats how it came across.

Back kinda on topic - Went to Zanzibar for the first time in ages last night - whose bouncers have always been pretty good imo - when did the girls there get so young????

Best bouncer I've come across was at the harp in swords.

Roll up to door :
    Bouncer : Have you been drinking?
    Me : Havent had one yet.
    (thinking here we go....*sigh*)
    Bouncer : Well get in and get moving then!
    :D

Sweet i'm going to the harp in swords! Thanks secret squirl (cool name by the way) I've a rather thick neck(as far as digs@ my honour are concerned...a lot of short jokes have come my way over the years...sigh..) so I didnt take any offence..(mainly to a post that was 2 before my 2nd post)..

Working on posting pictures :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

Alana,

To answer your first question, clubs and pubs are allowed refuse people for being under 21 or under whatever age they say, but in order to do so the age limit must be clearly on display at the door.The was part of the act that came in last year, the idea is it has to be displayed or else its ageism.

But overall there is definitely no set of rules bouncers have to go by, now i'm suprised you got refused cause usually girls can just waltz right in, or at least get asked for ID alot less.
    On saturday night me, spoirt and a few mates tried to get into D2 but got the usuall "21's only" rubbish.so we tried the odeon and we got a "23's only" response!! . Seeing as the night had already started going downhill we decided to keep with the trend and had to use complimentary pass's and go to Red Box!
    We got in but i'd say we were at least 2 years older than everyone in there, My bro knows a guy who got in to redbox using his mates's expired passport which said he was 17!
    It was pretty **** inside and i'd say the highlight of the night was probly breakin some moves to - "summer jam" and Usher - "yeah". Usually wouldn't even listen to the rubbish, but when in Rome...

The best policy about town is not to go in! Unless you like hassle from bouncers about your shoes, clothes, age etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

you're actually gonna post your pics?
    :rolleyes:

a lot of these posters will prolly have heart attacks...

Alana wrote:
    Working on posting pictures :D

Sweet! Can usually be found in the harp Tuesday and Friday btw ;)
    Like your avatar and nick too - makes me think of Alannah Myles and the song Black Velvet (he says showing his age :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Pics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭Crash

On the note of this thread, what is the story concerning forms of id? from reading the actual acts etc. it seems to be that they have to accept "appropriate identification" which would appear to be defined as "national ID card, Passport, drivers license or form of ID from another EU state"

if this is true man are tesco getting a bollocking from me. ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm 6 foot 6, and have nearly never been refused entry. The only time I was refused, as because of the penknife attached to my chain. I removed it, and was then allowed in. I've worn combats (camo + german black), t-shirts, shirts, denim jackets, and "during the winter" my trenchcoat, into nightclubs. I mostly look down @ the bouncers, and I'm in no way heavily built, but I rarely get asked for ID. I've gone to a number of clubs in Dublin and Galway, and they usually just nod, and let me in.
    Height sometimes works to your advantage :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Seconding what was said about Qbar being ****. About 8 months ago my TKD club were going there on a night out, I was wearing a tie-dye low cut top, navy cords and boots and wasn't let in. I had ID (my passport, was 19 at the time) and hadn't had much to drink already (2 pints). Out of 16 of us (we didn't all go up as one big group btw) 3 of us were refused. None of us who were refused were dressed badly or had too much to drink and we all had ID.
    I tend to get asked for ID when I'm out all the time. I'm 20, and just about look my age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

Well I'll throw my hat in the hatered to Qbar!!
    Walked up to the door, asked the great question of,

"Do we know you??"

To which I cunningly replied

"No"

Much hassle ensued, to finally get in, have one overpriced beer and leave cuz of the amount of posers and losers in suits!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Bul1sh1t like this really annoys me. About a year ago, for no reason my local pub started refusing me, each time giving me no reason whatsoever and telling me to try next week. I had been going there consistently for over a year previously, in the end I had to arrange a meeting with the manager so I could get in. Totally ridiculous as I have never caused an ounce of trouble in my life and look very respectable.
    Personally I much prefer gay bars, I have never once been refused. I rarely get asked for ID and can wear "whatever" I want. Why do straight bars insist that everyone look the same?! Clothing is often an extension of peoples personalities & is often a way of judgin a persons character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Boomerangs has have the worst bouncers ever in my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭dave13

Got refused into the Odeon on saturday as it's "strictly over-23's". didn't matter that i've been there loads before.Never have any problem if i walk in with a girl. To add insult my friend who is 20 and looks about 15 had walked in about 10 mins earlier without even being asked for ID. Won't be making any more trips up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Lol yeah the bouncers on the door of bozos are a bunch of fat headed rugby playing assholes on a power trip. They don't realise how ****ing sad and pathetic they look when they start acting the prick.

The ones that are on the door of scribes (the student bar) can be tossers sometimes too.

BloodBath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Ive never actually been refused anywhere, funny.
    I can remember days when I was 15 being refused in an offlicense because I had no id but other than that never.

The most rediculous times I was served underage were
    1) Was at the fleadh aged 15, was in the pub with 2 older brothers. One was 20 the other 17. 20 year old goes to the bar an asks for 3 pints, "I'll give you 2, one for you and the guy in the jersey(me) but the other ones not 18." That was very funny.

2) A month after turning 16 I went celebrating the leaving cert results with friends (they had done it I had not). I had no id. When asked I produced a small mpiece of cardboard with a name, student number and date of birth printed on it. It was one of the lads who had done the leaving.
    It wasnt laminated
    It hadnt a photo
    I couldnt prove it was my name
    I got served.

3)One night while 16 (closer to 17 than 16) I entered a pub drunk as hell at 1am [after the neighbouring pub had stopped serving) The barman asked me had I been here all night, I said yes, and without asking for id my pint was produced.

4)While on the school tour comming home on the plane the air hostess was going round offering drinks, wine or coke. Everyone asked for wine but she asked them all for id and of course nobody was over 18. She asks the guy beside me who does have id (he was 18 the ay before) then without asking me what i wanted gave me coke, "Excuse me Im 18" was all i said and the wine appears with er appologies.

5)Going into a night club while 17. The guy in front of me is turned away, my date produces her id (she was 18), I just say "Sorry, I dont have anything n me tonigt" "Its ok, I know your face". It was my first time in that club.

6) While going into the UCD student bar last year (went up for the open day, Very close to 18). Went in with the brother and his friends, all asked for stuent cards, when it comes to me I pull out my wallet and he just motioned me by before I could find anything.

Actually I have been refused once, 2 augests ago at the fleadh I was goin towards a bar at about 4 or 5 pm and was refused on grounds that i was wering a GAA gersey. Unbelieveable that i would be refused on those grounds at a fleadh

Id say the reason I got away so many times underage was because Ii was always very tall and handled my drink well, never caused a scene or stumbled up to a bouncer. I dressed very well and was with an older crowd. Im told I looked older than i was, i dunno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

boomerangs is the worst club in the city, so i'd look upon it as a bonus being refused from there

the odean is a nice spot from my experience(a bit ya ya maybe tho!), bouncers can be tough tho, but not so bad if you're early enough...

qbar, went there a lot over a period as handy location for nitelink and best club in that area (of a very bad lot), but i do honestly believe they're genuine bouncers in that if they do recognise you (as you've been there a fair few times) it's straight in... if they don't recognise you and busy nite, can be rough...

to be fair, fukk it tho, loadsa decent clubs in town of willing to walk a bit...
    and of course it helps being with a hot gurlie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

the_syco wrote:
    I'm 6 foot 6, and have nearly never been refused entry. The only time I was refused, as because of the penknife attached to my chain. I removed it, and was then allowed in. I've worn combats (camo + german black), t-shirts, shirts, denim jackets, and "during the winter" my trenchcoat, into nightclubs. I mostly look down @ the bouncers, and I'm in no way heavily built, but I rarely get asked for ID. I've gone to a number of clubs in Dublin and Galway, and they usually just nod, and let me in.
    Height sometimes works to your advantage :cool:

lol i'm in a somewhat similar situation. only about 6 foot meself but am quite broad. usually wander into any bar wearing whatever i like(usually jeans, tshirt and runners) get some funny looks from bouncers when 6 or 7 big guys in black leather jackets wander up to the door. never been asked for i.d. when part of that group. maybe the beard helps too...

chump wrote:
    of course it helps being with a hot gurlie
    Thats what we are all trying to get in there for in the first place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Chopper George

My experiences with bouncers have mainly been negative, I always thought they were there to greet customers:

Messr Macguires:
    Bouncer: Alright lads, what would you want here now?
    Me: A drink.

Perplexed, he let us in.

Zanzibar:

No neck bouncer with bullet head beginning from shoulders: No chance lads, regulars only.

Me: Well, how am I supposed to become a regular if you dont let us in?

No neck bouncer with bullet head beginning from shoulders: Youre not getting in lads!

Nice chaps, must enjoy their work. By the way, Ireland must be the only country with this bouncer mentality, go to any country on the continent, and you have no probs with these undesirables.

• Advertisement

By the way, Ireland must be the only country with this bouncer mentality,

Naa england is much much worse - what you get over there are the so called 'professional' bouncer whose only qualification for professionalism is a badly fitting suit and a bad attitude. And the minute you get held up or refused for no good reason - is what leads to trouble.

Here they are more likely to be reasonably friendly - even polite - when they refuse you thus leading to less tension all round.

Actully i think there's a course one can do in DIT security management or something, that teaches you how to become a bouncer...DIT's great you can do anything there, from learning how to swindle money out of people (business) to learning how to be a bouncer.

madness.

Anyone wanna buy some stocks so I can fund my course at DIT?? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

No neck bouncer with bullet head beginning from shoulders: No chance lads, regulars only.

No neck bouncer with bullet head beginning from shoulders: Youre not getting in lads!

It's worse when you actually are a regular!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭eefs

Zanzibar:

Nice chaps, must enjoy their work. By the way, Ireland must be the only country with this bouncer mentality, go to any country on the continent, and you have no probs with these undesirables.

Trust me, you don't want to become a regular in Zanzibar. Once you get in, you can never get out. I've been trying for the past two years. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

My experiences with bouncers are mostly bad, and strangely enough all of them were on the doors of pubs and clubs I never normally go to

Reasons like

B: Not tonight lads
    Me: Why not
    B: You're hair is too long
    Me: What about him (pointing to shaved head friend)
    B: His is too short

B: Come back in 5 minutes
    Me: (five minutes later) Ok I am back
    B: Who are you
    Me: The guy you borrowed a smoke from and told me to come back in 5 minutes
    B: Here's your smoke back, now f**k off

B: Sorry, regulars only
    Me: And?
    B: You're not a regular
    Me: And you arent a proper doorman
    B: Leave now!

B: Regulars only!
    Me: I am meeting people here
    B: Are they regulars
    Me: No
    B: Not my problem then, is it

And the best of all was I was attending a media launch for a company I used to work for
    B: Sorry, but you are not allowed in here
    Me: There is a media launch here, I am meant to be here
    B: I dont think so
    Me: Why not
    B: Because I said so
    Me: (spotting my boss) Hey, come here, this tool wont let me in
    Boss: This true
    B: Well...
    Boss: Just go on in
    (leaving one very p*ssed off bouncer/doorman. When I left later on, whilst quite drunk, I went over to him and told him I really appreciated the job he was doing but other then looking constipated what other qualificiations did he had.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Hillbilly

I would have to agree with a lot of your comments but they're the people you look to help you if a row kicks off
    A lot of them could do with a course in manners but it's not an easy job

eefs wrote:
    Trust me, you don't want to become a regular in Zanzibar. Once you get in, you can never get out. I've been trying for the past two years. :confused:
    Lost among the palm trees are you?
    And how come that is one place where most people seem to bring a passport to and still everyone inside looks about 13?

Anyone wanna buy some stocks so I can fund my course at DIT?? ;)

Well i wont buy any stocks....but il give you one of those hideous-sorry- fabulous-sorry manly(grrrrrr etc) black bomber jackets with the orange lining that seemed to be bouncer uniform a while ago...and with winter coming up it'l keep you warm as you drag the riff raff out :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

In some places, Cafe en Seine etc they'l think "out of place"\skangerish without even looking past your clothes

Damn right. There's loads of places for you lot, yet very few for the rest of us.

• Advertisement
Advertisement