Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boundry Extension

• 03-10-2004 2:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering peoples views on whether or not Limerick City should get a boundry extension and how far out should it go.

Personally I think a boundry extension would be a bad idea because Limerick City Council has one of the highest Counsil Rates in the country and this would not be good for the businesses in the likes of the Crescent Shopping Centre and the Raheen industrial estate who would find Limerick City Council rates unfavorable for business where as the county council rates are better.

I would Like to see an extension but the City Council needs to review its rates first, God knows we need the space to aleviate the 12,000 people on the housing list in the city at the moment.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭moshpit77

an extension to include raheen and castletroy would hugely increase the city council's resources so they would be in a position to reduce the rates anyway

I don't see it happening in the near future thpigh. these places are the county council's main source of income and they'd fight it tooth and nail. especially since they've built their new offices in that monstrosity of a thing in raheen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Heres another question, Would merging limerickcity and county council be a solution.

Just another thing to tihink about. Although it wouldnt cover parts of moyross as it is in county Clare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

moshpit77 wrote:
    especially since they've built their new offices in that monstrosity of a thing in raheen
    Ah yes, the energy saving building that they leave the lights on all night in.

Weren't their old offices up near the Crescent in the middle of town and in the middle of enemy territory though?

They had their office in three georgian buildings on O Connell Street for nearly 100 years before they moved out to Dooradoyle.

And from what I understand thay may have made the new building too small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

I just wonder how there going to keep the windows clean on that ugly looking building :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

I saw that new council building in an arcicitecture book recently, its a highly regarded design. then again-so was the KGB building at the back of eircom in its day.(that concrete and green plastic disaster)

Well you will be happy to know the "KGB building" is either coming down or is down already I havent been round that way lately.

As for the County Hall I thought it looked fabulous until I seen it in the flesh, and who says the camera never lies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

about time!!

yep the last time I heard they were putting a building there which was the same height as the Clarion.

just once as it isn't any higher.. it'll add a bit of substance to the area anyway.. so the clarion won't seem so much of a lonely island

• Advertisement

Well it was bound to happen that we would end up with high buildings, If we cannot build out thanks to both Limerick County Council's and Clare County Council's intransigence (spelling) the only way is to build up.

the second building is going to be apartment blocks, there was a supplement in the limerick post with computer generated images of the Limerick City skyline in 2008 which I have somewhere but cannot find right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

The county council building isn't all that bad, as for the Clarion, how did that monstrosity get planning permission :confused: apparently the top of it is supposed to look like a rugby ball :rolleyes:

hmmm sounds interesting .. bit like the docklands dev. planned for Cork. I think it's better to build up than out once as they aren't lumps of ugly concrete and well designed/maintained. ie. the state of county hall in Cork. about time that was knocked flat!

Corks County Hall was impressive though but it kinda sticks out like a sore thumb.

nah.. it's mank. but the recent dev. helps a bit.. what's the timeplan for dev to start on that site?

There was construction going on immediately beside eircom they build a new Londis Top Shop and there is apartments above it right on the corner of Mallow Street and Henry street. Last time I checked they had not demolished the monstrosity at the back of eircom yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

There was construction going on immediately beside eircom they build a new Londis Top Shop and there is apartments above it right on the corner of Mallow Street and Henry street. Last time I checked they had not demolished the monstrosity at the back of eircom yet.

Riverpoint? :confused:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Raiser wrote: »
    Riverpoint? :confused:

Bumping threads after 7.5 years isn't on. You know that very well. Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement