Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I D/L COH?

• 03-10-2004 10:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

Is it possible?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

Hobbes wrote:
    Is it possible?
    yup, you can get it here (~876MB).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Thanks.. now how do I get an account? It is asking for a CD key. :/

Edit: Nevermind I found it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Is this a free trial or what?

There is a short free trial when you purchase the game, then you have to pay monthly or up to yearly.

What server does boardies play on?

Thats not exactly a free trial...

Is the game any good?

• Advertisement

Hobbes wrote:
    As always Hobbes, your helpfulness is overwhelming.

I am not sure if that is meant as sarcasm, but I haven't played the game yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

No free trial, pay $49.99 dollars and get a free none subscription month.

Iv been playing the game for 4 months now and am still really enjoying it.

Its may be a bit slow to get into but im having a great time with it anyway.

If you read around and are interested I would say try it.

I am on the virtue server, lvl 36 controller, Gravaknight.

I think a lot here are on pinnicale, I think, Read the other COH topic to find out

No free trial, pay $49.99 dollars and get a free none subscription month.

Iv been playing the game for 4 months now and am still really enjoying it.

Its may be a bit slow to get into but im having a great time with it anyway.

If you read around and are interested I would say try it.

I am on the virtue server, lvl 36 controller, Gravaknight.

I think a lot here are on pinnicale, I think, Read the other COH topic to find out
    What do you get for the $49.99 apart from the free months subscription?

• Advertisement

Ivan wrote:

You get the physical game. Generally box sales are independant of subscription fees. Box sales tend to go to the publisher, while subscriptions go towards the servers/maintaince teams.

My next question. Is there a way to download the patches zipped up? Or are they already?

Hobbes wrote:
    My next question. Is there a way to download the patches zipped up? Or are they already?
    Not to my knowledge. With broadband the wait isn't too long anyway.

CoH is relatively easy to get into compared to other MMORPGs. As far as the game goes, pick a toon that you think will suit your style. I find every time my interest begins to wane, an update comes out to keep me going.

btw if you're looking for a super group, send a /t to Sausage Maker on Victory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Ivan wrote:
    Hobbes wrote:
    You get the physical game. Generally box sales are independant of subscription fees. Box sales tend to go to the publisher, while subscriptions go towards the servers/maintaince teams.

Well actually, if you go to the link above and DL the game then for the $50 you get a CD-key which enables you to activate the downloaded client game.

You could order the game with a CDkey from a website but me and my 3 mates all just Dld it and got our key online, much handier

[EDIT] go here to buy your key http://www.plaync.com/

Heh.. cool game. Good fun and some storyline finally. :)

Created two so far to test out.

Magic Tanker (Huge Demon) "Gate Watcher"
    coh2.jpg

Science Blaster (Tiny Robot) "SAIR"
    coh3.jpg

Heres one with SAIR and some others standing around.
    coh4.jpg

If they made it a bit easier to buy I would actually give it a shot. But going to PlayNc's store just brings me on to amazon.com or similar american websites who wont sell video game stuff to non-Us Residents.

Where and how can you buy your cd-key online exactly. Cos I could download it and be playing it before the end of the week.

You create a PlayNC account. Then you go into manage account options.

There is an option in there to buy a game CD key. When you buy the key it will give you the link (as above) to download the game.

Experimented with a few more.

Dr Archeus. Mage, controller/illisionist. Controllers seem to be seriously overpowered. I was taking on Reds with ease. A pain to level up with though. Better for a team.

Ig - Scrapper mutation. I was going for weirdest looking one. Turns out this character just eats through bad guys. Can't take on reds, but throw him into a pile of bad guys and they drop in seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

I've been having a laugh with different classes on two servers. There is a lot to like and dislike about each class and a huge array of powers to choose from.

Evangelon lvl 15 blaster tech/elec(liberty)
    Cobalt 90 lvl 8 blaster force/force (liberty)
    Rev Hellfire (hehe) lvl 6 blaster (fire/fire) (liberty, same on pinnacle)
    Bloodburn lvl 6 tanker fire/fire (pinnacle I think)

I'll edit and add some pics when I get a chance....

A friend has told me that its the same game engine as Lineage 2. Which wouldnt be surprising considering its made by the same people, I think. He also said, however, that it plays alot like Lineage 2 except rather than using weapons & spells that you buy, you use your super-powers.

Anyone who has played Lineage 2 got anything to say about this?

I beta tested Lineage 2 and thought it was horrible. I'd hate to pay €49.99 just to start playing the same game but with super-powers...

It is basically PvM type game. More for Social/Explorers and Achivers (ref: Bartle).

I have to say though I am totally blown away by this game. The cities are like GTA, only something like GTA Vice city would be the size of one zone and I have only been to 6 zones so far.

Also sheer size and distance. For example in most MMORPG's I play you can only see so far, in this I got on top of a huge building in Kings rows (about 30 stories) and I could see for miles. Kind of cool jumping from rooftop to rooftop.

• Advertisement

Well I signed up yesterday. Between yesterday and today I've created a character of each class.

I'm around on Pinnacle if anyone wants to group. I seriously like this game however they will have to add PvP before long to keep my interest.

Which I hear is coming in the next free expansion.

think the next expansion is not due until december. They will be bringing super hero bases, villians, wall crawling as far as I know. Although if you boost your basic jump its possible to wall crawl (at least in kings row).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

How much is it in the shops here ? I might give ti a go... Anit found an mmorpg Ive liked since DAOC. Maybe this is the one ?

Can't buy here as far as I know. Only online. But if someone is local they could burn up a CD?

Hobbes wrote:
    think the next expansion is not due until december. They will be bringing super hero bases, villians, wall crawling as far as I know.
    There is an update due around December. However, City of Villians probably won't be out till next year some time, as it is still in the planning stages. It's going to be a seperate game, that can be played with CoH or by itself.

CoV will have
    Super villian secret bases
    Build weapons
    The bases may be invaded by superheroes.
    Consensual PvP, TeamvTeam, SGvSG
    Devices and Relics.

Info gleened from messageboards...
    City of Villans will be a stand alone game, You will not need a copy of City of heros to play CoV.

You will not need a copy of City of villans to interact with villans while playing CoH's their will be a patch that lets the to\wo systems interact on a consentual bases only.

There will be no balancing of hero's vs hero's all balanceing issues will be between Hero's vs Villans.

All Villan AT will be completely different than Hero AT's. (This leads me to believe that you will not be able to to convert a hero over to be a villan though I don't know this for fact.)

You will be able to play CoV as a PvE only game as well as PvP just like CoH's.

The plan is you will not have to pay for two seperate accounts but this buisness decition in not up to criptic but up to NCsoft so there is a possibility you will have to pay for two seperate accounts if you want to play both.

Idea that the Dev's have discusse. There may be PvP in City of heros before the release of City of villans.

Hero's may be able to compete with each other in special public arenas and/or danger rooms.

Hero's vs Villans will be limited to Base raids, missions, and maybe speical trail zones area's only.

Villans will not start off or ever become Archvillans per say. Just like city of hero's they will be given missions and TF's by higher powerd villian groups proble detrimind by their origan type. they will begin as thugs and progress up the sercuity levels just like Hero's. They will also have street hunting just like heros.

City of villans will have many of the same aspects as city of hero's with just a differnct theme, and of course will use the same software engine as City of Hero's.

All this is fatual and this will be how beta will start. There is of course no way we can even guess what the product will become after beta is complete....

When City of hero's first went to beta there were no Arch Types you could choice any power sets your wanted and I belive they were all pool power sets well this was quickly changed because it was to easy to make a gimped or uber toon. can you imagin a electrical blaster/ regen combo? This was a complete rewrite of the charactor creation section of the game in beta which is huges. So though its true that what I have stated above is where beta will start there is no way to know what type of game will come out of beta...
    Of course, this is all subject to change...

Heh.. I created a "Spawn of boards.ie" on pinnicle. Mail "Dr Archeus" if you want in.

here's me in the colors.
    spawnofboardsie.jpg

Oh and here is a nice shot of the Hollows. I'm in the center standing on the building, the window will give you a scale of the stuff in the distance.

Ah right. I've seen you around.

NeekaO, Ti c k and Uko to name but a few.

Yea bumped into Uko and someone else running for their lives in Atlas park from a group of sprockets. :) I can rez now btw as well as a bit better healing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

damn, thats my second ctd since the update. both in missions in the hollows :(

sry hobbes! just hope I dont restart in the same place! cant log in as same character for a while...

• Advertisement

I completed the mission without you.. took ages though. Does that mean it will log you out of Firefrosts HQ?

Advertisement