Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Routers for NTL cable?

• 03-10-2004 12:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭

After having a look around at Wireless routers/broadband modems. I notice that a lot of them don't have coax cable conections. In fact I haven't seen one that does. So any suggestions for a good cable wireless router for NTL.

Is there any reason to get one with a modem over just keeping the NTL one and plugging it into the router? Other than the fact that you'd have two boxes instead of one?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

After having a look around at Wireless routers/broadband modems. I notice that a lot of them don't have coax cable conections. In fact I haven't seen one that does. So any suggestions for a good cable wireless router for NTL.

Is there any reason to get one with a modem over just keeping the NTL one and plugging it into the router? Other than the fact that you'd have two boxes instead of one?
    The NTL modem has it's MAC registered at their end, so just plugging in a cable router directly to the COAX won't work. Afaik, you're able to get them to register your own equipment though.

Tbh, I find the modem handy because it needs no configuration. Just plug in, and it works. Very handy if you have connection troubles, and you're not sure if it's your router setup or the NTL connection - just plug a laptop into the modem, if it's not working, then it's NTL's problem.

One plus for the two box setup may be that cable routers are more expensive, but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭Tom

I use this 3com office conect router on ntl digital. It was simple to install and secure. No problems with it in nearly a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Only reason I can see for going with a combined unit is that is tidier. That 3com unit looks kinda big. What do you have hooked up to it? Are there any issues with sharing the cable with a Mac and a PC on a router?

Advertisement