Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Takeshi Kitano fans heads up

• 03-10-2004 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭

just noticed that kitanos Brother (2000) is showing on Film Fours free weekend tonight at 12:10 i think.

i'm still a novice of asian cinema. is this considered asian even though its set in los angeles? does anyone recommend this?
    how does it compare to the other kitano films mentioned time and again round the board?

i'll be watching it anyway to get a taste for kitano.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭jared almasy

ive never heard of this film by 'beat' takashi but becaues its by him im pretty sure its great. if i had any channels apart from the 8 normal ones id watch it.

ps.strangely enough i found zatoichi in xtravision yesterday...weird

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

brother is the first beat film I saw, god damn wonderful :)

violent as hell too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Velcrow

Is this free weekend night available to ntl customers and if so what is the tune in channel....free I hear you say ....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

It's a good film. Not his best though, enjoyable though.

Film4 showed Versus last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

It's definetly a good film, but it's not his best, pretty much as Mak said. Still worth seeing though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

is this considered asian even though its set in los angeles?
    Its definately a proper Asian film ;)
    I thought it was good enough, some classic moments.
    But i agree with everyone else, not his best. I really liked Dolls and Hanabi, have yet to see zato ichi
    O_o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

Dose anyone know if its english or japanese with subtitles?

Both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

I believe I said it was 'good enough'
    I stick to that opinion. ;)
    I think people gave their honest opinions on it, if you found it to be woeful, too bad, most of us agreed 'it's not his best'
    Mordeth gave it the best rating, and im 'sure' he has his reasons for liking it so much.
    ergo, I disagree with your view of this being 'a prime example of asian cinema overrated'. ;)

• Advertisement

smiaras wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

I'd agree with you about Omar Epps being weoful, and indeed the last scene was garbage. But I don't agree with you about people overrating asian cinema. I think the consensus here was more of a 'Good but not great' than anything else.

I've watched it a couple of times, and I'm off the mind that it starts really very well indeed but goes downhill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 hyperali

didnt see brother but loved battle royale and did anone see zatoichi how cool was the music bits with the workers on the roadside. weird endoing though

I wouldn't really consider Battle Royale a Kitano film. It's more like an extended cameo appearance in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

takeshi kitano is the shiznit. cant wait for his new movie izo!directed by takeshi miike its going to be uber class, or else just plain weird

dimerocks wrote:
    cant wait for his new movie izo!directed by takeshi miike

Well then it's hardly his movie then is it? It's Miike's.

Advertisement