Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 98 Problem

Options
  • 03-10-2004 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

I am having a few problems with Windows 98.

When I turn on the PC to start it up, I get the following message.

"Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run Windows or a Windows application.

The windows registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device file, but the device file no longer exists.

If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated application using its uninstall or setup program.

If you still want to use the application with this device file, try reinstalling that application to replace the misssing file.

tela-lit.vxd
    press any key to continyue_"

So I press a key...

same again, only the last part reads

"_vtelsm.vxd
    Press a key to continue"

So I press a key.

Windows continues to start up, but I get the following:

"This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.

If the problem persists contact the program vendor

Close
    Details >>"

If I select "Details" I get something about explorer.exe stack dump, and some what looks like hexadecimal numbers.

If I select "Close" the dialogue box disappears, and I get what looks like an empty desktop. No start button, no icons.

If I do a Ctrl-Alt-Delete, there are no programs running at all.

I have the following desks :
    Floppy : Win98 Boot Disk
    CD: A copy of windows 98, not original, I tried re-installing, but was told that I couldn't use the disk, as it contained an earlier version of Windows 98.
    CD : Compaq Quick Restore.

Can anyone help me please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

start up in safe mode and then run msconfig or sysedit (or if they are not there look for system.ini) and see where system.ini is looking for the files (tela-lit etc...).

Then you can either comment out the lines or try and copy them from cd or something.

KR

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭StRiKeR

if you not sure how to do that or not feeling comfortible about doing that, and theres no files you need on the system, then the easiest way for you would be using the Compaq Quick Restore, that will put your system back to the original stage as when you first bought the PC!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭MazdaMan

I found info on this site http://www.act-labs.ru/race_zonefaq.htm regarding the tela-lit.vxd it states that the file "It is due to a "Telepath" - brand modem driver file called "tela-lit.vxd".,

It does not resolve the problem but it sounds as though a driver for the Telepath modem is missing, you could try re-installing the driver.

Also for the _vtelsm.vxd issue you could try the following in the event that it is a system file.
    Click on Start/run type sfc...extract one file...

For futher info MS Help: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;129605

Advertisement