Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bypassing NAT

Options
  • 03-10-2004 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

I've been having a little trouble since i moved into my new student accomodation. I was hoping to be able to run a webserver from my machine as part of a web based final year project so that i could access my work from the University. Unfortunately the service we were given is behind a NAT router and naturally they cannot choose any one student to forward all http request to. What I have managed to get out of my admin guy is that he has no problem setting up a VPN for me to anywhere I want. This got me thinking....
    If i can get the computer society in the University to allow me to connect to their servers via VPN could they route requests to my machine.
    They provide a DNS server for student use and my LAN IP is static.
    Could i, therefore, point my .com address to their DNS and somehow get it to forward the request to an IP on the VPN.
    Does anyone know if this is possible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Why not just run the webserver on a random port and get them to divert that port to your sever?

Not a broadband issue in any case, moving this to Nets/Comms.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭epgriffin

So, if I have a .com DNS pointing to their router IP how does it know which port i'm requesting?

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zenith74

Have them forward say port 43243 to your machine then you just put http://cs.mycollege.com:43243 into your browser and voila.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

If their router supports DDNS that might help solve your problem - check it out at DynDNS.org or TZO.com

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭epgriffin

I'm gonna try that port forwarding today. I found something interesting on the net about DNS SRV records. They allow you to specify what port the service is running on for your domain. Anyone ever head of or used them before?

• Advertisement
Advertisement