Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voltage Problem

Options
  • 03-10-2004 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I seem to be having a strange voltage problem with PC. My PC seems to be crashing while i'm playing games - ordinarily i'd put this down to a graphics card problem but my Asus Probe system monitor is giving me warning beeps from the Voltage Monitor section. It shows my +3.3V dropping below 2.8 whenever the system is put under pressure. Unfortunately i've got no idea what this means. Can anyone help me out here as to why this might be happening. The PSU is an Antec 400W power supply so I'm it carries enough voltage for my system - might it just have developed a fault? Will I need to replace it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

That's a strange one. The 3.3v line hardly ever undervolts on psu's. It's normally the 12v line. There is one way of fixing it but it involves opening the psu.

There are 2 adjustable pots inside the psu. They are basically like screws that you turn to up the voltage level of those lines. One is for the 3.3v line and ones is for the 12v line and the 5v line.

If you want help i'll post more and some pics. I did this recently enough with my psu.

BloodBath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

kencleary wrote:
    Hi all,

I seem to be having a strange voltage problem with PC. My PC seems to be crashing while i'm playing games - ordinarily i'd put this down to a graphics card problem but my Asus Probe system monitor is giving me warning beeps from the Voltage Monitor section. It shows my +3.3V dropping below 2.8 whenever the system is put under pressure. Unfortunately i've got no idea what this means. Can anyone help me out here as to why this might be happening. The PSU is an Antec 400W power supply so I'm it carries enough voltage for my system - might it just have developed a fault? Will I need to replace it?

What is your spec? you might need a more powerfull PSU, or you can try what bloodbath said that will get you more power, just makesure u give the capacitor a good lick
    :D joke be carefull of it, it still holds enough powerr to give ya a nasty shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭kencleary

My Spec is nothing out of the ordinary. XP 2500, 1 GB RAM, GeForce 4800, CDRW, DVD etc.

I am running all four USB ports including a Wireless LAN Connection - could they be a drain on power?

I'll try disconnecting a few of the USB devices anyway and see how stable the system runs. If that doesn't work I'd like to take you up on your offer Bloodbath!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

If you are still under warranty i'd advise getting it replaced. If not the mod is the way to go. I've never seen a 3.3v line undervolt by that much. What is it like when the system is not under load?

For the mod you will need a multi-meter. The 3.3v rail can be got from any molex connection. Just power on your system and insert the black probe into the back of either of the two black pins and the red probe into I think the yellow is the 3.3v rail. If not then it's the red. You will know anyway as one will read near 12v and the other will be near 3.3v. Now test the 3.3v line idle and under load with the multi-meter. Bios readings are hardly ever accurate.

When you have this much done get back to me and we'll do the next step.

BloodBath

Advertisement