Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Volkswagen Golf - Audio Sound Quality?

Options
  • 03-10-2004 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

I bought one of the new VW Golf's some months back - the 1.6 Sportsline model to be precise. Couldn't be happier with the car - it's a dream to drive and a major improvement over the previous model...with one exception. It's nice to have a CD player in the car but the sound quality is poor. More precisely, all treble and no bass. The thing (an RCD300...probably a Blaupunkt model) comes with 6 speakers - all embedded inside the driver/passenger doors...seems like a combo of a tweeter, mid-range and woofer of sorts. Even with the bass turned up to the max, virtually all of the sound pours out of the treble unit...the other speakers ARE working, but the output from them is small. I'm not really interested in changing the CD/radio unit unless I have to and I think the problem is more to do with the speakers.

Has anyone had a similar experience and/or any intelligent advice on fixing the problem? I think the CD/radio unit has enough oompph to drive the speakers but why is all the energy going to the treble unit?

Ta - JB, Cork :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

have you checked the actual setup of the stereo?
    maybe the bass might be set really low

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

Ummm
    GaRtH_V wrote:
    have you checked the actual setup of the stereo?
    maybe the bass might be set really low

Ahhh
    jwb1 wrote:
    Even with the bass turned up to the max, virtually all of the sound pours out of the treble unit...the other speakers ARE working, but the output from them is small

:D:D

Simple solution is to take it to your dealer and complain a lot about **** german quality etc

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭StRiKeR

generally you wont get much or very very little bass from stock speakers setup, if you want good bass you really have to add a amp and a sub to it, or even a set of 6x9 will bring you more bass! sound quality would be down to a combination of head unit and speakers setup, I used to build my own sub boxes so it looks like part of my boot, and i never stick with the stock radio, I use an Alpine 9812RB which has way better output power and sound quality, not to mention all the features it has and I also change all the speakers in the car with my own setup, all tweeters midrange and sub are individual with cross over to ensure great sound quality!

yes you can compain to the dealer but really it was a car you bought, not entertainment unit, the car was made aiming at drivabilty and comfort, i doubt they will do much about the sound quality of the radio! if they even know much about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭jwb1

Lads - tnx for the replies...in order:

1. Yes...the bass is turned up to max.
    2. Hmm...."easy" option of going to dealer...I don't know if I have the patience
    3. How right you are but I'm too stingy to invest in good gear!

My own theory is that the CD unit is OK but the speakers are cheapo cheapo and/or the treble unit is consuming all the energy leaving nothing for the other two units....I wish I remembered all that stuff on impedence and matching theory from college!

JB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

6x9s would make a difference but if you don't want to cut the parcel tray then get one of these.Saves the hassle of having to get a seperate amp. They don't take up too much space in the boot and when you need the space for something it can easily just be plugged out and put back in later.

• Advertisement
Advertisement